P-4, XP, v4.0.5_b1845

As-It-Goes…

Hi Mark A and phoo and All:
You two have sort’ta become the Board’s issue solvers to the XP install n-Track newbes… From Me to You Two… Thanks very much for all your help for me and my set-up… and as-it continues/goes…

I’ve taken my new XP P-4 build into the studio… at last… and, I have the Lexicon Audio Hardware installed, at long last… and everything appears to moveing right along… I have a Matrox G-550 graphics Card installed in the box… Up until now everything was fine… I installed new XP Drivers to upgrade from '98SE drivers for the card… No issues… But now that the DAW is in it’s place, and in the studio, I’m config’ing the set-up for two monitor screens… which was there and working with '98SE… I’ve discovered there is an issue when I try to open n-Track… I get a screen the says n-Track has encountered a problem and has to “Close”… I believe that this has happened sense I’ve been config’ing the G-550 graphics card for two monitors… I’m not sure just what to do and how to proceed to solve this issue… This set-up worked O.K. with the '98SE Operating System…

Mabey, something else altogether and unrelated has occured…

I still don’t have the Drivers, etc. installed for the Lexicon Auydio Card/Cards/Set-up… So, everytime I boot, at this point-in-time, I get the prompts to install the drivers, etc. for the New Hardware… Xp doesn’t want to recognize any of the .exe’s that I have and used with '98SE, up until now… I’ve gone to the Lexicon Support Page and downloaded all the stuff that is there, again… But It’s all the same stuff that I used all-along… The link is…

http://www.lexiconpro.com/studio/downloads.asp

And the pack that I remember useing is the v4.20 stuff… And, if I recall, I had to download and install some Core 2 drivers, as well… They can be found here…

http://www.lexiconpro.com/core2/downloads.asp

That’s why everyone that is Core 32 owners call their drivers “Flakey”… lol… But you see… I may be breaking “New Ground” here… No one that I know has up-graded to XP, as an Operating System… as far-as-I-know…

I am wondering if you guys, who might happen to browse this post, could suggest a way to back-track this build for me? And, get me headed in some other direction and get this P-4… XP… and Lexicon Core 32 DAW up-and-running… again?

I’m gonna continue to download any information that Lexicon has posted … with all Fresh-and-New Files, so if I have any files that might be and are corrupted, Who Knows … I’m gonna at least have all the drivers and files “NEW” and ready to replace, again…

On one install instruction page, it suggests to place the install files on the “Desk-top” and launch the exe’s from there… I remember doing all this before… How I got all this to work before, is… I must have been lucky… at-the-time… Well…

If any of you might have any suggestions as to how this could be accomplished… I would welcome your input…

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ June 30 2005,15:10)
I’ve taken my new XP P-4 build into the studio… at last… and, I have the Lexicon Audio Hardware installed, at long last… and everything appears to moveing right along… I have a Matrox G-550 graphics Card installed in the box… Up until now everything was fine… I installed new XP Drivers to upgrade from '98SE drivers for the card… No issues… But now that the DAW is in it’s place, and in the studio, I’m config’ing the set-up for two monitor screens… which was there and working with '98SE… I’ve discovered there is an issue when I try to open n-Track… I get a screen the says n-Track has encountered a problem and has to “Close”… I believe that this has happened sense I’ve been config’ing the G-550 graphics card for two monitors… I’m not sure just what to do and how to proceed to solve this issue… This set-up worked O.K. with the '98SE Operating System…

Hi Bill.

I suggest at first that you turn off the dual screen capabilty and try N-track again. If that works it must be something to do with the G550 drivers, XP and N-track. Then try looking for updated drivers for the G550. This seems vaguely familiar somehow. Perhaps someone else had a similar problem. Hmmm I wonder if it was me (the memory must be fading wit age!). I have a G500 card and I seem to remember it giving problems with dual screens under XP with N-track. If I get time later I’ll try to run it up to check.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I still don’t have the Drivers, etc. installed for the Lexicon Auydio Card/Cards/Set-up… So, everytime I boot, at this point-in-time, I get the prompts to install the drivers, etc. for the New Hardware… Xp doesn’t want to recognize any of the .exe’s that I have and used with '98SE, up until now… I’ve gone to the Lexicon Support Page and downloaded all the stuff that is there, again… But It’s all the same stuff that I used all-along… The link is…

I may be misinterpreting you. These are executable files that need to be downloaded and run to install the drivers. If, when you boot, you try to point the “windows has found new hardware” wizard at the exe, it won’t work. You need to run the exe, restart the PC, and hopefully,… hopefully XP will find the drivers and do the install automatically.

Mark

Ahhhh… I’ve just downloaded the driver installer - it’s not obvious what you have to do…

1. download the file to your desktop
2. When it’s downloaded run it by double-clicking
3. A box will pop up asking you where to extract the files to. Make a new folder (eg C:\lex) and extract the files to there.
4. Restart the PC, and when XP asks for the location of the driver, send it off to look in the folder you just created (eg C:\lex).

I reckon that will do it.

Mark

Hi Mark:
Oh My!!!.. I seem to recall something in that regard with an earlier install with this BOX. I think it had something to do with Net Framwork 1.1, or something… My mind is one big hunk of jello, at the moment… If I check back to an earlier thread, we’ll find who it was that set me in the right direction on that issue… Thanks to you… whoever, it was…

For example Mark…
In the first link, on the opening post… there are three files located there that are the lexicon PC-90 VST Reverb v 3.02 Drivers and Plug-in files… ( I received these floppys back in '97 when I first got this Lexicon Hardware.) In all the files on these three floppys, there happens to be no execuite command file/icon, to start the intstallation process… However, there are a host of .dll files and all, that need to be pointed to mabey, a windows folder and to the VST Folder in n-Track, during the course of the install process… Well, that’s what I think happens… ??? To someone like you, for instance, you might look at this bunch of files and figure out how to create a code/file for the purpose of installing the Lexicon PC-90 software… Well… But so far, anything I’ve shown the Windows install wizzard has not started anything like, “An-Install-Process”, is likely to happen… There seems to be lots of driver files in all these folder/files but nothing like anything that looks like .exe files… or nothing that looks to me like something I could “Mouse-Click” on, and begin an install process…

And I read, Where you said…

1. download the file to your desktop
2. When it’s downloaded run it by double-clicking [EDIT] These files that I downloaded, are .zip Files…

3. A box will pop up asking you where to extract the files to. Make a new folder (eg C:\lex) and extract the files to there.
4. Restart the PC, and when XP asks for the location of the driver, send it off to look in the folder you just created (eg C:\lex).

I’ll get my head together and when I seem like I’m ready for another Crack-at-the-Rocks, Then I’ll Begin… Oh Me Oh My…

Do you think there might be an “ORDER” to the DRIVER/PLUG-IN INSTALL process?

I think mabey, I should Re-Read the install/File/Plug-in Notes. again… Seems to me, if I remember, there was nothing easy about completing this install… At some point, I think it says, you have to un-install the PC-90 VST Reverb and Re-Install it… :O ??? Again, it had to do with the v4.20 install folder/files…

I’m wondering if some of this install has to do with a DOS complication? :p A Bluenoser … thinking outloud… :p

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

For example Mark…
In the first link, on the opening post… there are three files located there that are the lexicon PC-90 VST Reverb v 3.02 Drivers and Plug-in files… ( I received these floppys back in '97 when I first got this Lexicon Hardware.) In all the files on these three floppys, there happens to be no execuite command file/icon, to start the intstallation process… However, there are a host of .dll files and all, that need to be pointed to mabey, a windows folder and to the VST Folder in n-Track, during the course of the install process… Well, that’s what I think happens…

Bill, don’t try to load those old drivers. Being that old they won’t be compatible with WinXP and, even if they loaded, would not work properly.

With the zip file you downloaded, you mave have to extract the files manually (easy in WinXP) to a temp folder, then depending on what’s in there either run the “install.exe” (or whatever file looks linke an installer), or just point the XP driver install wizard at that place when it detects the hardware.

HTH

Mark

<!–QuoteBegin>

I suggest at first that you turn off the dual screen capabilty and try N-track again. If that works it must be something to do with the G550 drivers, XP and N-track. Then try looking for updated drivers for the G550. This seems vaguely familiar somehow. Perhaps someone else had a similar problem. Hmmm I wonder if it was me (the memory must be fading with age!). I have a G500 card and I seem to remember it giving problems with dual screens under XP with N-track. If I get time later I’ll try to run it up to check.

Well I was wrong… my G400 seems to work fine in dual screen mode with N.

:) I have a G400 as well, and it’s done fine since getting the latest drivers from Matrox. I assume you have the latest for the G550. http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/g550_dualdvi/prod_support.cfm

http://accelenation.com/?ac.id.59.2

Seems like it should be ok with just about anything.

Hi phoo:
I had a detailed reply to your post regarding your comments on the Drives for the G-550… But, I lost my dial-up and the reply…

In a nutshell, I have drivers that are dated May 23rd and May 28th. Just a month ago… But when I browsed the site tonight, I saw that If I registered, I could get to a page that I haven’t seen till now… It all looks pretty confusing, what with Driver packages and Graphics BIOS versions, and all… The driver package I have installed is 5.93.009 and the graphics BIOS set is 1.0b09 (That information came from the Graphics Card specs that is posted on the P-4 Display information screen)… along with the S/N and other card info…

Back to the Matrx download page… There doesn’t look to be anything there on the list for G-550 cards… What would you recomend for the set-up, I have?

I’m thinking about attacking this issue on a number of fronts…

1: I don’t think it has anything to do with the graphics card setup…

2: I’m thinking about installing n-Track-over-n-Track…

3: I’m thinking about un-installing other applications, one-at-a-time to see if n-Track will launch…

4: I’m thinking about un-installing n-Track and reinstalling it…

Might you have any words of encouragment on those ideas?

Sense the DAW isn’t any good the way it is, I’ll re-install '98SE and set up another Daw with XP for new Hi-End Audio Hardware…

Hi Mark:
Those drivers are the END-of-the-LINE for anything that will come from Lexicon… Lexicon has moved away from anything to do with multi-track DAW recording… Well, for Core-32 hardware, which is what lexicon stuff I have… I heard there was a Lexicon guy that wrote some BATA drivers for this stuff before he got laid-off from the DAW Project Team… I had them but I lost them in the big Hard Drive failure I had the other year… Back-ups… Back-ups…

By the way… the PC-90 drivers for the reverb card does have a "Launch.exe file for that install… But, I’m not sure if the other stuff has… I’ll be checking the un-zipped files in the morning… That’s another day…

Hey… July 1st, is what is known as Canada Day… If you got all your taxes paid, they’ll let you wave the Maple Leaf… lol…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

4: I’m thinking about un-installing n-Track and reinstalling it…

Do this one first. While it’s uninstalled open regedit and search for “ntrack” and “fasoft”. I don’t want to say “get rid of anything with them in there” but use you bets judgment to get rid of folders that reference them. For example there may be an entry for “.npk”. It would be ok to nuke the whole “.npk” folder when n-Tracks is uninstalled because that’s the peak file association. It will be added back when n-Tracks is installed, but that should be one that’s gone when uninstalled.

Anyway, most reg stuff will be gone when it’s uninstalled, but not all. If you have any doubts post the entry here so we can take a look.

Next, completely delete the whole folder n-Tracks was installed into. Of course move out any files you want to keep to a temp folder. Keep in mind that dx plug-ins registered while in there should not be moved out or deleted. Just level those there and get rid of everything around them.

There’s not really anything else to do to clean out left over n-Tracks stuff. Installing it at this point will be like a first time installation and the reg keys will need to be reentered.

There’s no reason you should be having all these problems on a clean WinXp system is there isn’t something else funny going on. Attempting to use Win98 drivers might have done something to put them in a funny state. I suggest removing all added extra hardware, boot into safe mode and removing all drivers for that hardware. Removing drivers from safe mode will cause the driver files to be deleted from the hard drive while removing them from regular booted mode will simply remove them from the installed list, and leave the drivers on the machine. Then one at a time add the hardware back and install only the latest WinXp drivers. That includes video audio and anything else on the machine.

Let us know what in the unzip folder for the PC-90 drivers. Sounds like they use to be in a self-unzipping file. LOTS of folks stopped using self-unzipping files because of the potential security risk associated with them — not really associated with the file itself but by the fact that exe files themselves get blocked as security risks (email attachments, downloading, etc) while zip files don’t usually. Having to manually unzip the file is the main difference.

There is potential to screw things up by doing what I suggested so if you aren’t sure about any of ask questions before blindly nuking stuff. :)