pan

I have read and re-read the instructions for “pan” and can’t figure them out. I’ve tried everything I can think it means, but my track still plays over both speakers. How do I put a track on only one speaker?

most likely the problem has to do with how you’re connecting everything coming out of the sound card. give us some detail about what you’re connecting your sound card to and how. are you using stereo cabling? are you plugging it into a stereo input? do other sounds from your computer play in stereo? (test the pan control on the windows mixer, or your sound card’s mixer software)

Is the Master Stereo/Mono button clicked in n-Tracks mixer? It’s just to the right of the Master Volume knob.

OK, it is probably that I have my mic plugged into my piano because I like the echo on it and it is just one port. Is there any way to work with that?

OK, it is probably that I have my mic plugged into my piano because I like the echo on it and it is just one port. Is there any way to work with that?

? ???

Ali

I agree with Ali. What does having a mic plugged into a piano have to do with wave playback, and how do you plug a mic into a piano anyway?

Just how is you system wired up?

My Roland has a jack for a mic which has its own volume and echo controls. My piano is plugged into my computer and I access them both on a “line in” selection on my soundcard software. I click the picture of the microphone on the n_track software so that I have midi and mic and they both record great. After I wrote that reply I realized that if I plugged my mic into my computer I would still only use one jack, so that should not be the problem. I just can’t figure out the instructions for laying one entire track on the right speaker (for example). That’s my problem.

Some of your questions I dont understand.
My Roland is plugged into the “in” spot on my soundcard. I tried using the midi cable and port but this has worked better for me. I have quality cables. Everything plays in stereo. I don’t know how to do the test you say. I think my problem is simple, Not my hardware or the program, but my understanding of how to accomplish moving a track to a single speaker.
AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

“Everything plays in stereo” I am making a big assumtion here…Sok you have a pair of RCA cables coming out of your piano. Then it is paired down to a stereo adapter…

Try unplugging one of the cables…this will give you only one channel…the choice is yours…left or right.

There is a pan slider for each channel in the mixer. To move a sound left or right simple slide the pan slider. If you are wired properly then it’s just that simple. If that doesn’t work then either the stereo/mono button is clicked or something is wired wrong.

The reason we are having a hard time asking questions and helping is because you aren’t giving us enough information to base answers on. For example, how were we to know your piano was a Roland sound module with a mic input? You asked a question that implies a mono only playback problem, but most of your comments are related to input and recording. These are two very different areas of concern. How you record has nothing to do with where or not it can be panned later.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’ve tried everything I can think it means, but my track still plays over both speakers.

Even a stereo track will be panned, so when you later say “Everything plays in stereo” what do you mean? Is anything not dead centered?

I’m sorry I haven’t been able to give you the info you need.
When I move the pan slider all the way to the left or right, the track still plays over both speakers. I have clicked the mono-stereo button both ways, and same results. When I say “everything plays in stereo” I mean the sound comes over both speakers. As far as wiring, 2 jacks from the Roland comprise 1 cable that is plugged into the “in” port of my soundcard. The mic is plugged into the Roland. It is the vocals I want to split between speakers. I tried pluggin the mic directly into the soundcard instead of the Roland; same results.

As far as wiring, 2 jacks from the Roland comprise 1 cable that is plugged into the "in" port of my soundcard. The mic is plugged into the Roland. It is the vocals I want to split between speakers. I tried pluggin the mic directly into the soundcard instead of the Roland; same results.

All that is what's going to you input. That doesn't mean anything. Your problem is output. How are your wired from your soundcard to your speakers?

Two jacks in my soundcard turn into one cable that plugs into my subwoofer. Two jacks from my subwoofer connect my right and left speakers

i think your last post could be more useful in determining why it’s not playing back in stereo… “playing through both speakers” doesn’t necessarily mean “stereo”.

can you give us some info on make/model of your soundcard and make/model of the subwoofer/speaker system? or maybe at least how the outputs you’re using on the soundcard are labeled and the inputs/outputs on the subwoofer are labeled.

this would help in figuring out how it should be connected.

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live Value card
Speakers/subwoofer are harmon/kardon HK 695
The speaker cables are plugged into the soundcard holes that have the 5 circles with a line at the bottom and the only places that they will fit on the subwoofer (one is square, onetriangular)
Sorry if “stereo” was the wrong word to use; simply meant sound comes out of both speakers

Does you SB Live! Value have color coded jacks or is it the older one that has jacks that are all the same color? They are basically the same card, but it’s easier to say you need to be going out the green jack only than to try to tell you which jack that is. I’ll use the colors for now.

The SB Live! has two outputs. One is for front stereo (green jack). The other is for rear stereo (black jack).

Since the HK speakers have two satellites and a subwoofer you should not be plugging anything into the rear output on the SB Live. There should be one stereo 1/8" cable going from the green front output to a single 1/8" stereo input on the subwoofer, or somewhere.

If you aren’t using stereo cables then you are getting only one side of the stereo. I’m not sure how that would become centered though (play out both speakers).

In any case you don’t need two cables going from the soundcard to the speakers.

I don’t know what the square jack is. The SB Live doesn’t have a square jack.

I assume the satellites are wired correctly, but I wasn’t able to find any good info about your speakers (lots of hits from folks selling them and specs but no diagrams or other more useful info - HK’s site has nothing useful).

The output jack you need to use is not the very bottom one next to the joystick port, but the next one up from there.

OK. Starting at my subwoofer; a cord comes out of it which branches into 2. As per your instructions, I have unplugged the black one and now the green one remains plugged into the green outlet on my card. Made no difference—sound still comes out both speakers.
The square and triangular jacks I mentioned are how my speakers plug into my subwoofer so they cannot be plugged in wrong.

I also unplugged my mic from my Roland and plugged it into the ‘mic’ or pink jack on the sound card just in case that was causing the problem. No. Same same.

Are those branching chords stereo or mono…do they have a single tip and sleave or do they have a tip, ring, and sleave, like headphones? Are they hard wired into the unit?