panning problem (again)

also record

I was frustrating you about 3 weeks ago; unable to pan. Finally tests on my diagnostics and conversations with Dell technicians determined my sound card was bad. I ordered and installed a new Audigy 2 ZS. Then my CD player/burner would not work, so I ordered and installed both those. Then I could not get any sound through my speakers and spent several more days with Dell technicians figuring that out. Now 3 weeks later, I still cannot pan. I have been through every possible computer problem; it has to be something I am not doing right with this program. I thought all I had to do was move the ‘pan’ needle to the far left or right before I hammered down my wave.
Also, now I cannot record. As soon as I push the record button, I get a page that says “Select wave file to record from soundcard #1”. I want to record live onto n-track. I am sure this is just another technical thing with a simple answer, but I can’t figure it out.
Again, there is nothing wrong with my computer system or connections, merely stupidity.
Thanks

Quote (ahwander @ Mar. 08 2005,00:12)
1. I thought all I had to do was move the 'pan' needle to the far left or right before I hammered down my wave.

2. Also, now I cannot record. As soon as I push the record button, I get a page that says "Select wave file to record from soundcard #1".

1. Yes thats all you have to do to pan. If your cables are hooked up right then you have problems.

2. That doesn't sound like a normal ntrack error message! Maybe a better quote might help.

Tom

To help rule out a couple of potential n-Tracks config issues I’ve put up a few pictures at http://downloads.phootoons.com/mono/

There are a couple of wave clips as well. I’d like for you to play them in n-Tracks and any other application you have. Let’s see what’s panned where in all those apps.

What devices are selected in the n-Tracks preferences? I have an Audigy2 on my machine at work. We can compare your settings to mine tomorrow. I even have a Dell OEM version in the office.

Quote (ahwander @ Mar. 08 2005,00:12)
Also, now I cannot record. As soon as I push the record button, I get a page that says "Select wave file to record from soundcard #1". I want to record live onto n-track. I am sure this is just another technical thing with a simple answer, but I can't figure it out.

When I press the record button, I get a page with a similar text. The page has a place to write the name for the wave file I'm about to record. So I write the name (and check I'm in the right folder for this particular song), press OK and record.

(Of course, before I can record I have a small window that asks "Ready?" and an OK button, but that, too, is something I have knowingly selected to appear from the Preferences-Options page. The "Select wave file" window is under the "Ask for names of wave files to be recorded".)

Or are you describing something entirely different and I just mis-interpreted things?

Mwah

When I press the record button, I get a page with a similar text. The page has a place to write the name for the wave file I'm about to record. So I write the name (and check I'm in the right folder for this particular song), press OK and record

This one is way simple.

Go to Settings, then options.
DE-select "ASk for names of recorded wave files.

There you have it....

Personally, I LIKE that option.

It lets me organize the song and it’s audio files by setting up subdirectories for each instrument.

I >know< where everything is and can name it with a descriptive file name (i.e. “Piano_SectionA_Patch03.wav”, etc.)

… I don’t like not knowing where my files are going or what they’re named in case I have to go back and muck with them later!

:D

I, too, use that option definitely in purpose.

I don’t use different subdirectories for different instruments (and I try to record everything from start to beginning), but I like to see the wav files named so I know what they contain.

Quote (TimOBrien @ Mar. 08 2005,09:28)
Personally, I LIKE that option.

It lets me organize the song and it's audio files by setting up subdirectories for each instrument.

I >know< where everything is and can name it with a descriptive file name (i.e. "Piano_SectionA_Patch03.wav", etc.)

.... I don't like not knowing where my files are going or what they're named in case I have to go back and muck with them later!

:D

Hey that's really great that you use it.
Personally I don't.
I track onto a TASCAM MX 2424 and export into ntrack for editing and effects, render each track to a 24 bit wav, then re-import it into the MX2424 for mixdown on a 24 channel 8 buss analog mixer.

But that's why it's called an option.

This guy was asking why n was doing it and how he could record live, thinking that something was wrong. Isn't it nice to know how to turn it on and off?

BTW, one can't pan a track or master if it's set to mono, that's the first thing I'd check if you can't pan on mixdown. Fisrt check the simple stuff, then go deeper if you need to.

Remember, no problems, only solutions....
BTW, one can't pan a track or master if it's set to mono, that's the first thing I'd check if you can't pan on mixdown. Fisrt check the simple stuff, then go deeper if you need to.
Exactly.

Are there any other potentially hidden places that might put things in mono mode?

One other thought is that if the "Ask for names" option is turned on then it was probably turned on manually somehow. That's not on by default. (I don't use it and i've never had to turn it off) If this one isn't set to the default then other setting may not be either.

Exit n-Tracks, delete ntrack2.cfg, restart n-Tracks and let us know what your settings are.

Not on my system, but I use ASIO drivers which are stereo pairs by nature. The only place I can toggle it is on the actual mixer.
You pretty much have it covered in your illustraions, Phoo, but I wanted to bring it to the top again for ahwander.

The soundcard’s mixer is one area I don’t know about. I do not under any circumstanses install those Creative cr-Applets. There could be a toggle in there that’s doing this whole thing, but if that were the issue it would be happeing outside n-Tracks. That’s why I want to see what the two samples sound like outside n-Tracks.

ASIO is really funny on my work machine…I’ll check it when I get there.

ONE MORE QUESTION (grin)

Which Audigy2 ZS are we talking about (I have three different models at work).

I’ve added three more screen shots to http://downloads.phootoons.com/mono

These are from my work machine that has an Audigy2 ZS in it.

I can’t get the ASIO devices to work no matter what, but WDM and MME work fine.

MME is typical normal stereo output - one single pair that can set to stereo or mono.

WDM sets up 4 output pairs. The first is the pair most would use for typical stereo output. The others rout to the different speakers on a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I have 5.1 but haven’t delved into it too much. Getting discreet output is a challenge, but I think it can be done. (I’ll look into it, but that’s not the problem we’re trying to solve right now)

The only way to duplicate the symptoms is to click the mono button on the mixer or to select MME and set mono on the output pair. Other than that panning works just like it should (and even not panning in mono mode is just like it should).

Why would installing a replacement Audigy2 cause you to need to get a new CD burner? That one thing right there shows that something major is WAY wrong on you system.