panning problem

N-track panning problems

Help… I’m having trouble with hearing the panning on my speakers when I pan to full left or full right.
I’ve recorded in MONO and panned all the way left then all the way right. When I pan all the way in one direction or the other… the vu meters show the sound being sent to that side only BUT I can still heat it comming out of BOTH speakers.

I’ve checked the little (stereo/mono) button on the master control panel… it makes no difference whether it’s on stereo or mono.,… I still get it in both ears.

Iwould expect that when I record a track… then pan it all the way left… when I listen back to it… I’d ONLY hear it in my left ear (on phones)… or out the left spaeker only… suggestions???

I have a M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card… and was thinking that somehow I’ve got something wrong with the channel settings on it… (like where it will always play in stereo)… er sumpthin… but that doesn’t seem to make sense either…

Help?
Jwoo

jwoo,

Dunno if this will help, but check your cable(s). I saw a post a while back where a mono y cable was the culprit. I’ve recently been having some interesting problems…turned out to be…a cable…

Good luck
-Ed

jwoo,

Dunno if this will help, but check your cable(s). I saw a post a while back where a mono y cable was the culprit. I’ve recently been having some interesting problems…turned out to be…a cable…

Good luck
-Ed

Hi John:
How’s it going? Good to see you here… I have a feeling it’s somewhere in your hardware… I am unable to think it’s a software issue…

Did this issue suddenly develope?

Question? Are you useing the latest M-Audio drivers for your operating system?

Bill…

Did this issue suddenly develope?

Question? Are you useing the latest M-Audio drivers for your operating system?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses fellas… How ya been Bill?
How’s the song comming along????

In answer to your questions… No the issue did not develop suddenly…I only noticed it recently because I haven’t attempted using that feature until recently.

Yes I have the latest version of M-Audio drivers…

I’m lost!

Jwoo

Do stereo wave files play in stereo from Windows Media Player or any other apps?

If not I suspect it’s a cable adapter problem. It might be something in the soundcards mixer settings (I don’t know enough about M-Audio to know if that’s possible though).

Hi John:
How’s it going with you??

I hope… and… Ya gotta get that fixed… There’s too many guys over at the Artist Collab’ Site relying on your drum tracks, for their projects…

I know it’s not a serious issue… Well…

I’m back at the project… There appears that there’s no more tracks comming in… I was sure that Jeff was gonna do a Bass track for it… But nothing as yet… I’ve been working on the Upper Toms and Floor Tom Tracks… Getting their dynamics sitting Just So… Well…

Anyway, your tracks sound just great, to me… Now, I’m hearing, in my head, some harmony lines in the Vox Track… Key-Words-Hear-and-There… We’ll see… My hope is, that it might detract from the “Wetness” of the Vox Track…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot… Here’s a link to the first version of the Mix Session…

http://artistcollaboration.com/users…x01.wma

There’s too many tracks yet… I will beging to “Group” them to reduce the Track Count… Well…

Lemme splain my set up first…
I run my 6 mic’s into my 12 ch mixer… use the RAW Line outs for each channel into the delta1010LT (with 1/4" to RCA adapters)… then send the signal from the sound card back to the mixer (RCA with 1/4" adapters ) for monitoring purposes…

then out of my stereo (headphone jack) on the mixer… into my little (powered computer speakers).

In addition I run two channels out of the MAINS on the mixer via 1/4" cables into a CS 800 Watt amp to power my monitors.

It was mentioned that I should try to pan each of the two channels that I’m using to run into the amp (CS800)… one full left and one full right … to obtain the panning affect.

Whe I pan a channel left or right using my recording software (N-Track)… the VU’s show it is being panned… but the panning doesn’t happen during playback

Hope this makes sense to whomever…
I NEED to be able to hear the panning I’m doing in order to effectively mix my drums down into a usable (full sound)…mix.

Signed…
LOST!

Does your mixer have meters? Do they show the signal panning?

The two mixer channels that come from your computer: are they panned full apart? (They have to be.)

If you turn the pan knob on one of those channels back and forth, does it affect what you hear? (It should!) If not, make sure the right output channel assign buttons on those input channels are pushed (well, depending on whether your mixer has them …)

Hi John:
I have a 16 channel version of the Peavey Mixer you have… We talked about your setup on the CC Board… a while back…

If you return the TWO-Track out of your sound card into two channels of that mixer then, you should have the pan controls of each strip balanced Left, and one, balanced Right. Then, Sum A should appear on the left sum/fader and the Sum B should appear on the right/sum fader… Sum A output should go to the Left input of your CS 800 input and Sum B should go to the Right input of your CS 800 input… I’m sure you have it setup that way… The KEY is, returning the TWO Track of your sound card… to your Peavey mixer strips… One Left and the other Right… Then pan one of the strips to the left and the other to the right… I’m sure you have that as your setup, as well… If you do and your wires are O.K. then you got to hear a stereo image on your phones out… Then, make sure that you don’t have the left-and-right returns from your sound card to your mixer reversed… Otherwise, this is baffulling…

Bill…

Hi John:
I have a 16 channel version of the Peavey Mixer you have… We talked about your setup on the CC Board… a while back…

If you return the TWO-Track out of your sound card into two channels of that mixer then, you should have the pan controls of each strip balanced Left, and one, balanced Right. Then, Sum A should appear on the left sum/fader and the Sum B should appear on the right/sum fader… Sum A output should go to the Left input of your CS 800 input and Sum B should go to the Right input of your CS 800 input… I’m sure you have it setup that way… The KEY is, returning the TWO Track of your sound card… to your Peavey mixer strips… One Left and the other Right… Then pan one of the strips to the left and the other to the right… I’m sure you have that as your setup, as well… If you do and your wires are O.K. then you got to hear a stereo image on your phones out… Then, make sure that you don’t have the left-and-right returns from your sound card to your mixer reversed… Otherwise, this is baffulling…

Bill…

Im having similar issues with this as well. I had a mono track and it pans how it should hard left or right when played back.
BUT BUT
As soon as I add a reverb like Classic Reverb…I cant pan them anymore!!

Help!!

Oh geez…even without fx…i cant seem to pan hard left or right at all…
WTF?
I hear sound on both sides

I believe there’s something wrong with your setup.

It’s either the mode you’re using your soundcard in, or a problem with your soundcard, or connections from soundcard to speakers/headphones.

When you pan, watch the playback meters. Does adjusting the pan knob affect the meters? If not, I was wrong above and you need to tell us very specifically what you’re doing. Which pan knob you’re adjusting, etc.

The meters show what n-Track is sending to the soundcard. If the meters are showing the correct thing (panning), then the problem is the interface between n-Track and your soundcard, or further down the chain. You’ll have to tell us just what that chain is.

The most common cause of this problem is plugging a mono connector (2-conductor, tip-sleeve or “TS”) in your soundcard’s line or headphone out jack, rather than a stereo connector (3-conductor, tip-ring-sleeve or “TRS”).