Peaking out question

Okay, Before I begin I’m going to list my recording equipment I’m using… …maybe it will help w/the problem

Eurorack EB2222FX 22 input board
Audio Technica AT40/40 Microphone
M-Audio Delta 66 soundcard

…This question is targeted on recording vocals, When recording i can yell and get close to the mic and it doesn’t peak out in the headphones… …then, when I press playback it peaks out-
Also, it seems that the volume in my headphones As im recording is different from the playback- of course this can be edited w/n-track, but I was wondering how I could make them even w/out editing the file.

-Dave

Oh, and… …the bass in my music- anyone have any suggestions on how to master it so its a little smoother and gentle to the speaker?

You have to watch the record meters.

What you’re listening to in the headphones is not the result of recording, it’s before converting to digital. Ergo, it can clip quite nastily and you wouldn’t hear it in the headphones.

Just turn the record level down, or better yet, back off from the mike when shouting.

Use the soundcard’s mixer to control the record level.

For the bass, use compression, and turn it down for goodness sake! The neighbors are complaining. :;):

Hi, the delta 66 has 3 different settings for input sensitivity,something like -10 ,-4,+4.

Plug your mic into your mixer set the mixer channel gain to give a reasonable reading on the mixers meters maybe peaking around zero.Then look at n-tracks recording meters and adjust the delta input sensitivity for a decent reading peaking around -10 to -6 (you’ll get digital clipping if the n-track meters hit zero).
The delta doesn’t have variable record level controls as such only these sensitivity adjustments.There are also the same adjustments on the output so you could play with these as well.

Nick

Thanks for the info, Nick.

And you’re right: the first step when setting up a DAW with a mixer is to make it so that levels on mixer and soundcard match. The match doesn’t need to be perfect: you just want to make sure that when You’re getting near 0 dBFS in record levels (in n-Track recording meters), your mixer is above 0dBVU but well below clipping.

Keep in mind that 0 dBVU on the mixer is the “sweet spot”, and going above it is still a good signal. These days, usually up to 9dB before significant clipping happens. And note that in analog gear, clipping starts gradually – it’s not an all-or-nothing thing. On the other hand, for the soundcard and n-Track, 0dB is the absolute roof: signals above that level get flattened out (“clipped to 0dB”). So you don’t want 0dB on the mixer to be 0dB in n-Track (unless that’s the highest mixer VU reading you can get without going way over).

You also want to do the same thing for the output path. It’s not quite as critical as the input path, because you’re not recording that signal (unless you’re using external hardware effects after recording, a special case). However, you do want to make sure that the signal you’re listening to when making mixing decisions is as clean as possible. A similar rule applies: 0dBFS on n-Track’s playback meters should reach somewhere between -4.5 and +4.5dBVU on the mixer. Why lower? Because you’re not worried about catching peaks. Your mixes will frequently hit 0dBFS and you want that right in the sweet spot on the mixer, not up in the high end of the headroom range. These are rough numbers with a rather arbitrary 9dB range, so don’t worry if you’re just past one end or the other and can’t quite get in between.

For doing this calibration it’s very handy to have any kind of signal source with a steady tone. Most keyboards have something suitable (with the sustain pedal wedged down, perhaps). If you don’t have anything better, a CD player and one of the terribly over-compressed rock albums would work, like that infamous Rush album.

Thankyou so much for all your help guys, I never even thought abt some of the things u’ve all told me till now- Genius, simply genius- Thx
-Reflex-

www.soundclick.com/reflexnaria

No, … “experience … simply experience”. School of hard knocks, man! :wink:

One time way back in school someone asked our programming professor a question about a rather peculiar error message or something and I happened to know the answer off the top of my head. There was a moment where the other folks in the group stopped and stared at me like I was some kind of oracle. The prof, who really had my number, just laughed and said, “He knows that because if there’s any mistake that can be made, he’s made it!” :laugh:

Which Rush album? I’ve got a guess, but want to hear about the “famous” one… :laugh:

Not the Rush album but an interesting article with plenty of other examples…

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

Quote (billthecat @ Jan. 31 2006,15:59)
Which Rush album? I’ve got a guess, but want to hear about the “famous” one… :laugh:

I’m pretty sure he’s talking about Vapor Trails. That thing was the posterboy for overcompression. The .wav file looks like one big red rectangle. Rumor has it that backlash convinced them to remaster and reissue it.

Interesting. I’ve looked at the wave for Out of the Cradle, but not the album as a whole.

I always thought that Power Windows made Geddy sound like he had a cold. That is, until I learned about compression. I figured for sure that it was PW…I’ll have to give VT another listen. :D

Interesting: I hadn’t heard that rumor. But it’s a fairly old story by now, and I certainly haven’t kept up to date. I’m sure that must be the album I was talking about. Haven’t actually heard it myself, but I did see screenshots of waves. I think it was in an article by Bob Katz, among others.

Hiya folks,

I did a search for the Bob Katz article and came up with a few interesting links we folks will probably find interesting, with great waveform examples:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec…05DAF1C

And an article by Bob Katz, not THE one referred to I think, but an interesting one on great albums which haven’t been over-compressed:

http://www.digido.com/portal…e_id=93

Quote (learjeff @ Feb. 01 2006,16:42)
Interesting: I hadn’t heard that rumor. But it’s a fairly old story by now, and I certainly haven’t kept up to date. I’m sure that must be the album I was talking about. Haven’t actually heard it myself, but I did see screenshots of waves. I think it was in an article by Bob Katz, among others.

So, which Rush album were YOU referring to? :;):

<!–QuoteBegin>

Is there an echo in here? :p
Quote (billthecat @ Feb. 02 2006,00:27)
Quote (learjeff @ Feb. 01 2006,16:42)
Interesting: I hadn't heard that rumor. But it's a fairly old story by now, and I certainly haven't kept up to date. I'm sure that must be the album I was talking about. Haven't actually heard it myself, but I did see screenshots of waves. I think it was in an article by Bob Katz, among others.

So, which Rush album were YOU referring to? :;):

The rumor I hadn't heard was that they'd remastered it. I shoulda quoted; especially at the top of the page like that my post is rather confusing.