People are stealing N-track

unfortunate problem

Just thought I’d point this out although I’m sure its already well-known, people out there have these ‘cracked’ versions of n-track and are sharing them on ptp sites. In other words, cheap unethical people are acutally stealing copies of n-track. That’s pretty disgusting. Don’t know if anything can be done about it. It’s a very unfortunate problem.

As you say, there isn’t much that can be done. Flavio uses a reg key, but if someone hacks it out then all Flavio can do is change how it works in the next version. Even finding the person that cracks it doesn’t change the fact that a cracked version is out there. It’s an impossible task. It’s VERY unfortunate for the rest of us since what we will ultimately loose is future support - bug fixes and new features and maybe even this forum and contact with a lot of friends we’ve never seen. The crackers, and users of cracked apps, have nothing to loose. I have no sympathy for them and think they should all be neutered.

phoo…you said it best.

I mean, $40. Come on…

cliff
:cool:

One hopes that Mr. Antonioli has built the cost of lost sales through cracks into the price. The good side is: a significant number of those folks would not buy it anyway, so actual lost revenues might not be as bad as they could be. This is not a justification for theft, simply a business comment. I’d like to see some way to make cracked versions implode and destroy anything recorded with them. Replace the files with “Someone left the cake out in the rain” or something. Wouldn’t that be fun. :)

I notice some product vendors restrict access to support forum, additional goodies and the such. I’ve often wondered why this site has unrestricted access. Not that it would deter folks from doing this.

I’ve often wondered about Flavios marketing strategy for the product, what are his aspirations, where is this heading, will it get bigger etc… and in a strange way, if people are aquiring this software illegally, does this mean word of mouth advertising is increasing, is the product becoming more popular? Maybe in a weird way it’s good.

And I thought it was hard enought to get a registered version to work back in the day…
And switching computer systems…let’s see what kinda support they get being is they don’t really own anything.
Think of the copies as fully functional demo versions, 'cause without the support of Flav. and all the possible things that can arise that’s all they are. :;):
As soon as the first problem pops up that can’t be solved here in forum, they’ll be up sheets creek without a paddle. :laugh:
Note to forum members:
Be on the look out for a slew of newbs, with statements like,
“just got this new proggy” “problems with such and such”
without the usual…"I’ve tried to contact Flav."

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

I found nTrack in the first place because a friend had a cracked version and showed it to me. I played with it for a few hours and gladly sent Flavio my money.

I suspect that nearly all serious users of this product have spent the money to become registered users. It’s probably impossible to know but I’ve wondered if the existence of cracked programs may actually help sales in the long run.

Any reasonable copy protection/registration method can be cracked and they all are. I believe that it’s a testament to the honesty of computer users world wide that the software industry is large, growing, and healthy in spite of the ready availability of cracked software.

Quote (8th_note @ July 02 2006,21:08)
I found nTrack in the first place because a friend had a cracked version and showed it to me. I played with it for a few hours and gladly sent Flavio my money.

I suspect that nearly all serious users of this product have spent the money to become registered users. It's probably impossible to know but I've wondered if the existence of cracked programs may actually help sales in the long run.

Any reasonable copy protection/registration method can be cracked and they all are. I believe that it's a testament to the honesty of computer users world wide that the software industry is large, growing, and healthy in spite of the ready availability of cracked software.

I completely agree with you on this issue.

Considering the price tag n-Track comes with, together with the facts that paying for the program aids further development and bug fixing(!) and several easy ways to pay for the program (PayPal sux IMHO) means that interested users playing with a hacked version today eventually will become registered users tomorrow.

I started out with n-Track (2.x, I think) on a license 'borrowed' from a friend, and eventually got so happy about the program that I gladly paid for both version 3.x, version 4.x and version 4.x 24-bit option. This program deserves the support from us users...

Compare the facilities and the price tag with the competition; If I had to run cracked/hacked/pirated software for economic reasons, I'd go for the big fish like ProTools/Cubase SX/SAW Studio/Logic... - not n-Track. Anyone serious about multitracking their own songs should be able to afford that.

regards, Nils

It is indeed sad that it is out there, but there are strong arguments either side.

I know that one of the spinoffs of Flavio trying to counter the piracy is the issues that some of us (I got this already once as well) gets the message on a new install that ‘your codes have been pirated’.

In my case I mailed Flavio and becuase of the lesser time zone differences between South Africa and Europe I got a reply within minutes with new codes. But it is a pain.

Also (I think Stu mentioned this) having restricted access to this support forum will have two points of views, with good reasons for either argument. I swing towards having it like it is now with all access to everyone.

One reason for that is the friendly nature of this forum with all the knowledgable people that shares easliy that the forum’s got.
People that don’t own N-Track can still feel welcome here while learning a lot.

The other thing is that you need to give possible buyers (with just the shareware ‘demo mode’ ntrack downloaded and running) access to all the resources they can get to be able to get N up and running and doing something that will make them feel they need this app.
If they struggle in ‘isolation’ with the ‘locked’ version (even if it is with something really trivial), they might give up too early thinking that its not worth it.

I’ve seen lots of guys come in here with a question running N in demo, getting the issue sorted ASAP only to post a day later to say that they’ve registered.

This was a long post, but in the end I figure I just want Flavio to get the recognition (financially) for the effort that he puts in to this application.

Wihan

Btw - I also decided on registering N-track after creating one song (just for me) with, shall we say, ‘borrowed’ codes of v2.3.

I got a disk from a friend with stuff that he said I would enjoy.
On there was Cubase4, Cakewalk9, N-Track and a couple of others.
I toyed with all of them (I knew cakewalk and cubase, but didn’t know that N-Track existed - it was 2.3 at the time)

I have a version of cakewalk that came with my soundcard, as well as Voyetra MOP that came with the AWE64, so Cakewalk didn’t interest me that much. I couldn’t get anything done in Cubase easily - the interface wasn’t as easy to figure out things.

I fired up 2.3 of N-Track, started working straight away. Did my thing and enjoyed the journey as well.
I went to the Fasoft website the next day, saw that there was a version 3 out and registered it immidiately.
Haven’t looked back since.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I suspect that nearly all serious users of this product have spent the money to become registered users.

You know, I can’t remember if I’d tried Ntrack with pirated codes or not before I paid for it. I know I did some mixing in 2.x and found that the eq was intuitive and I got results with it, so I brought it (that and native DX + VST support were the killer apps for me).

IIRC I did try dodgy codes at some stage, might have been trying out 3.3 or something early on and the codes killed my 2.3 registration, but Flavio helped me fix it with a keystoke combination. Felt a bit shamefaced at that.

It only goes to show that Ntrack is popular and great. Its the crappy unknown programs that seem to be safe from hackers.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the pirated copies, N-track already has the best copy protection - a reasonable price. There are lots of people who fool around with hacked copies of programs that they will end up not using; but those who seriously expect to use a program will not run the risk of viruses, potential cut-off of support and other problems when the real version is priced so inexpensively. The reality of the software business is that there will always be “free-loaders” but the likelihood that they would purchase when forced to decide between paying and deleting is small. Rather than be upset about those who would never have bought the program to begin with I think a developer should concentrate on providing the best support possible to the users as Flavio has done and not worry about it. A developer shouldn’t be resentful about the money they are not making and focus on the things that will help people decide to send them more.

I personally hope that Flavio is making a satisfactory income from all of his efforts. I know that he is helping a lot of ethical musicians do things that they otherwise could not afford to do.

Jim

I agree with Jimbob.

And generally with the opinion that ‘Crackers’ are mostly harmless, in the long run, given the view that a serious user will end up buying something, for the support, and because it’s a personal investment (as well as the hazardous-aspect potential of ‘cracks’).

You think crack-users (pardon the expression!) are adversaries? Invite 'em in. Anyone who’s not genuine about this will leave/quit sooner or later anyway. Anyone who is, will more than likely purchase.

And don’t think of someone as wasting your time, if you can help it- we are kind of “all in this together”, in a way. Plus, as was mentioned, they’ll mostly betray themselves eventually.

I like this program so much that I have paid full price for it 3 times. Seriously. Remember that I bought a useless Cakewalk 4 times (versions 4, 5, 7 and 8) at a cost of $1600+ a few years back. And Cakewalk never did what it said it would and crashed with the frequency of a heroin addict. :p

Quote (phoo @ July 01 2006,12:38)
As you say, there isn't much that can be done. Flavio uses a reg key, but if someone hacks it out then all Flavio can do is change how it works in the next version. Even finding the person that cracks it doesn't change the fact that a cracked version is out there. It's an impossible task. It's VERY unfortunate for the rest of us since what we will ultimately loose is future support - bug fixes and new features and maybe even this forum and contact with a lot of friends we've never seen. The crackers, and users of cracked apps, have nothing to loose. I have no sympathy for them and think they should all be neutered.

I think that Phoo said it very well!

Don :D