Perspective on the Specs

what you can expect N to do

these are the official N track minimun requirements - my PCs specs in brackets

1…CPU: Pentium III 700meg _ (mine is 932meg)

2…MEMORY: 256 MB RAM - (same as my PC)

3…SOUNDCARD: A full duplex i.e. capable of simultaneous playback and recording soundcard (Audigy NX2 USB at the moment)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64 (Win 2K)

HERES WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO RUN WITH A SETUP LIKE THIS

!.. CPU speed woefully to slow to practucally anything at all

2… 256meg ram will run 1 or 2 plugins but that depends on how many tracks you have in song (see below) - nowhere enough ram to run a half decent soft synth (cronox, crystal, etc) N will not even load in a preset on some synths without crashing and will crash on the first note played with others - when this happens memory indicator shows 6 meg ram unused which is less than Windows needs so Windows stops -

3…4/6 tracks should be OK, but past that you are in the lap of the Gods - would not run 8 tracks on Delta 4/10 (when installed) without breakup - only use two outs on Audigy have managed 12 tracks but had (have) severe breakup problems -

the first thing i do on installing a new version is to kill the FASoft compressor - it will not run on two tracks without creating glitches - neither will the fancy EQ work without slowing everything down to a snails pace -

--------------------------------------------------

to get N to perform in half decent manner your PC really needs to have the following MINIMUM specifications and the below is based on my other PC -

CPU - Intel Pentium 111 - 2gig (NOT A CELERON these are crippled pentiums made for the office word processing market )

RAM - 1gig - more if you can afford it -

Soundcard - any, but even with the best you will be pushing the limits at around 36 tracks - less with plugins -

maxtracks to date - 79 tracks to 24 out ADAT optical card at 8193 ASIO sample rate - track is 77 minutes long - no plugins, no problems -

PLUS (not mentioned in specs)

7500rpm ATA hard drives - 10500rpm SATA hard drives
DMA on all ATA hard drives (not applicble to SATA drives)
minimum FSB = 800meg -
PC performnce set to BACKGROUND -
low spec videocard -

Dr J

What version of n-track? I’ve had much better performance than you suggest with V4 on a 1gig P III with 256 Mb RAM (10-15 tracks and possibly as many plugins). That machine ran Win98 and was pretty well optimised. (I have a better machine now).

Over Christmas I mixed a 15 track song in n V4 on a Win 2k, PIII 1.0Ghz laptop (not optimised for audio) with crappy drive, built-in soundcard, and several plugins. So it can be done.

X

On My P3 800Mhz Celeron with 256MB Ram I can record 40+ tracks 44.1K 24 bit and run a number of plugins.
N-track 2.? Win 98 Delta 1010

Are newer versions of N-track much more demanding of the system?