Pet hates in Music!

What makes you switch off?

I have the radio on all day at work and just realised that my real pet hate in music(apart from Mariah Carey obviously) is those songs where the lyricist suddenly ran out of ideas. Basically I have to turn off any song that contains: Shoobee doobee doo, Doobee Doobee doo, Doowop bee doobee doowop, Wop Bop bee doobee doowop beedoo or Sha la lah, Sha na nah, Tra la la etc…
and of course those English folk songs that all contain: Wack fol diddle aye ay ( usually after spying a fair maiden).
and Irish folk songs that contain: Too ra loora lay ay!
In deference to Ali and me I won’t mention Scottish songs that have wonderful lyrics like: Even the verigo had tae grin at the muckin o’ Geordies Byre ( ah!! A Classic)
Cheers! :D

I hate the over-loud intake of breath sounds in very compressed vocals, e.g. a the end of Dido’s White Flag. Some breathing noises are natural and welcome, but I find these excessive noises iritating. How long would it take to reduce their volume in a wave editor?
TB :angry:

Ian, I remember watching the Humblebums (Billy Connelly and Gerry Rafferty) at the local folk club, (well, it was actually the British Legion on quiet nights! LOL), and they used to do this lovely piss-take of all the “fi-di-dildlerole” stuff. :)

Mind you, it was them once, followed by a real “fi-di-dildlerole” folk band.

Didn’t they look uncomfortable! LOL

But anyway, music that I hate?

I don’t think there’s any music I hate, but sometimes I hate the way it’s presented or the way it’s used.

Jingles on radio!

6 seconds of what should be a climactic piece is prostituted.

Scheherezade as a cell phone ring tone! I kid you not. That’s a capital offence. :(

DJ’s who cut the end off a song or who talk over the intro!

Bastards!

Celine Dion obviously.

Pub bands, who do a note for note copy of the original, and get the guitar solo wrong, not an inspired variation, but just wrong.

Ach, I’d better stop now. :D

Ali

Quote (Guest @ Sep. 20 2005,11:13)
Ian, I remember watching the Humblebums (Billy Connelly and Gerry Rafferty) at the local folk club, (well, it was actually the British Legion on quiet nights! LOL), and they used to do this lovely piss-take of all the "fi-di-dildlerole" stuff. :)

I don't think there's any music I hate, but sometimes I hate the way it's presented or the way it's used.

Jingles on radio!

6 seconds of what should be a climactic piece is prostituted.

Scheherezade as a cell phone ring tone! I kid you not. That's a capital offence. :(

DJ's who cut the end off a song or who talk over the intro!

Bastards!

Celine Dion obviously.

Pub bands, who do a note for note copy of the original, and get the guitar solo wrong, not an inspired variation, but just wrong.

Ach, I'd better stop now. :D

Ali

Wheest man! I woke the sleeping giant!

Aye, Billy Conelly. I remember when he was a legend in Scotland long before Parkinson had ever heard of him. 'The Last Supper' with Glaswegian disciples! :) Great days.

I'll put Celine in with Mariah!

Cheers,
Ian

Song lyrics, not much subject matter left. Love, most over written lyrics, Hate comes in at #2. Sex, drugs, trains, pick-up trucks, the dog loves me more than the wife, just can’t take any more of this crap.

Need songs written bout everyday things, like bowel movements, taking the trash out (I took her to the movies), whether or not you have toenail grunge, etc etc.

I don’t know, guess my biggest pet peeve in lyrics is the stupid dance songs.

Yeah, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion (although I like two songs of hers - Prayer that she does with Andrea Boccelli, but then he redeems it, and the origional French version of ‘Fly’).

I HATE repetive crap. mostly dance music oneliners (Must be the reason why I’m king of my castle etc), but sometimes ‘normal’ and otherwise very listenable songs as well (and I know and I know I know I know I know I know I know - Aint no sunshine. It’s a good tune, but that just gets me).

I also don’t like scatting that much. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I can do without it mostly. (I’m probably gonna be fried for this one, but I think that ‘Wish you where here’ would have been better had David Gilmour not sung the lead he played)

Then I also HATE the R&B whitney houston quivering lip wavey wobling through 3 octaves and back again singing.
Again, I can’t do it, and it is good (think) , but why would I want to be able to ?

There are exceptions of course - no matter how I try to be in denial, I can’t help but think that ‘Blue’ by Eiffel 65 is a cool tune. Please don’t ask me why.

So yeah, there you have it.

W.

i hate any “music” that contains some idiot mumbling “what, what…yeah” "what"

you know what I mean

The “singing” MUST be recognizable as a human, structured language. The screaming and growling crap that my son listens to REALLY gets on my nerves!!

Please, someone STOP the abuse of the double kick drum pedal?

“BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT
-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT- YEOWWWOWWOOOOOWW, CHUGGA-CHUGGA G-G-G-Grrrrggg!!!” That’s 90% of the songs the kids listen to around here.

Disco - I HATED it then and I HATE it now.

The “wankers” who say “We don’t need to play guitar solos. Our music stands on its own without that showing off crap.” Look, just admit it OK? You don’t put solos in your songs because you can barely tune the guitar to drop D and wank those d@#n one finger barre chords. PERIOD! If you don’t wanna learn to play just say so. It’s alright no harm done.

I despise dark, sinister lyrics. There is enough evil in the world without some jerk-weed singing about axe murdering his girl-friends momma… 'nuff said.

I’ll stop now before I really go off! :p :p

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m Too Sexy
Right Said Fred

I’m too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love’s going to leave me

I’m too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
And I’m too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan

And I’m too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I’m disco dancing

I’m a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk

I’m too sexy for my car too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far
And I’m too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat what do you think about that

I’m a model you know what I mean
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I’m too sexy for my too sexy for my too sexy for my

’Cos I’m a model you know what I mean
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I’m too sexy for my cat too sexy for my cat
Poor pussy poor pussy cat
I’m too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love’s going to leave me

And I’m too sexy for this song

…nuff said about that, Fred.

music with no melody, no real chords (made up augmentations) or music progressions or structures (just play Caug - A#min - Eflat…doesn’t matter, just play ala d matthews.)
even worse: an imitation of the aforementioned (ala j. mayer.) sorry…but try humming something by one of the above…