Phantom Power Q?

I’ve just noticed that my desk only produces 12v and my mic wants 48v.
Waddayuh reckon? I’m getting decent levels and amplitude without having to crank the gain etc. I’ve glanced at the op amp spec stuff - but I can’t quite get my head round whether the tolerance discrepancies are gonna result in a lower quality recording.

I know that some mics require the 48v Phamton power in order to work. What are you plugging your mic into, “line in” on the PC?

PACO

Some mics used to be designed to work on anything from 12 -48. What mic?

How do you know it’s only 12v?

Are you sure you’re not reading the voltage for a gooseneck lamp connector?

Just wondering.

I think you’re on it Tom.
An old Fostex 454 and a sE2000.
A bit more research and it looks like it don’t matter much at this level.
Cheers guys.

Well, I could not find a manual for the mic on line, all I could find is that it says 48v, but I know that some of them work just fine at lower voltage. Where’s Bill? He’d know.

:agree: "Bill"!!!

Bill’s around. Had a PM from him this morning.

48V is the original Neumann spec from way back. 48v came form the fact that the emergency power to the lighting in the studio they designed it for ran at 48v. The vast majority of condensers will work on any DC voltage >5v… 12-48v being quite typical. 12 being especially typical in “cheaper” gear as 12v power supplies are a dime a dozen from the OEMs in China as electronics in cars, computers, boats, etc all use 12v DC. That way the designer can use an off the shelf power supply (or straight from the PCI bus) rather than design something custom.

Thanks Bubba.
Why the spud have sE used 48v on a cheapo mic like this one?

http://www.seelectronics.com/sE2000.html

All mics say 48v. That is the “standard” though the vast majority will work on anything over 5v. (This sure sounds like what I just said above.)

Indeed. Thank you Bubba. I’ll try harder in future.

You do that. :-p Tie you boys up with the rubber hose… I swear.

I’m allergic to latex. PVC tape?

Then I’ll use lamb skin…

…run away, children.