phase sound

phase

I just installed n tracks on my new pc(im using the sound card that came with it)I was getting very clean recordings on my old pc,but with my new pc which is much more powerful im getting a phasey slightly distorted not very clean recordings any suggestion im not very techy so please simplify any suggestion if you have them

can you post a sample here so we can hear?

Tell us a little about your recording set up will also help. Direct boxes, board, routing, etc etc.

well,after some consulting ive decided to get a new sound card.any suggestion? must be easy to use should have a xlr,1/4" inputs work with windows xp and n tracks v3.0 thanks!

It may not solve your problem though if it’s a setting in the PC or something.

What card do you currently have?

You may recording the input to the card AND the output FROM the card. Check the mixer app for your card and make sure any output or “Record what you hear” stuff is muted. Since the signal coming in and the one processed through the card and going out will have timing differences, it WILL introduce a phasey or chorus sounding effect.

D

Good one D. That could be it.

keep im mind here im using the built in sound card that came with the pc (realtek hd audio)ive tweeked/muted every possible combination i can think of in the adjust audio properties window is there any other place to tweek a built in sound card? im still getting phasey slightly distorted recordings.much appreciation…Caleb

Quote: (calebsethjacobs @ Sep. 30 2007, 10:42 PM)

keep im mind here im using the built in sound card that came with the pc (realtek hd audio)ive tweeked/muted every possible combination i can think of in the adjust audio properties window is there any other place to tweek a built in sound card? im still getting phasey slightly distorted recordings.much appreciation...Caleb

Well I'd start by using LINE-IN rather than MIC-IN as suggested elsewhere in one of your two threads. The level/impedance mismatch could well be the cause of a distorted sound. And also, as D suggested, check the Windows mixer that you are ONLY recording LINE-IN. (Select the mixer, Options-->Properties-->recording. Tick all the boxes. OK. Check that LINE-IN is selected).

That's all youn need to do - apart from making sure that your levels are in control and not clipping

If memory serves me right, (and that ain’t real good at times) but Diogenes hit the nail on the head. There should be a Realtek pop up mixer, on the Line in tab are 2 sliders, record and playback. Mute or take the slider for playback to -0. The playback on the speaker tab will let you audition sounds while you record.

Yaz

Yaz,I tried your suggestion,muted playback,raised/unmuted everything else,couldnt hear anything,recorded anyway,still have a phasey slightly distorted sound.if theres anyway to be more specifc as to what exactly i need to mute or raise in the realtek mixer window or if i can get you or anyone whos familar with the built in realtek soundcard to meet me on yahoo messanger (xbandinguniverse)to get a complete walk thru i would greatly appreciate it.with much gratitude…Caleb