phoo..

Been Working on this Ram Issue…

I’ve been working on this Ram Issue.

I have what is close to TWO identical machines…

They have ASUS CUSL2c Main Boards… [ The BIOS Revisions aren’t exactly, the Same, between the two machines ] Should that be Addressed? However, one has a 1.2mhz processor, while the other has an 800mhz. the 1.2 machine has 2x’s 256@PC 133 ram… The 800mhz mchine has 1x’s 256@PC 133… I’d like to install a second stick, in the 800mhz machine… So, I bought a used stick of 256@PC 133 and plugged it in. The BIOS saw the addition and so did "98SE… But after that, issues began to appear. “BLUE” screens, and all… After all the combinations of “Swap” I have this issue with the “Used” Stick… It will work by itself in both machines, but it wouldn’t work with any combinations of “Sticks” in any machine… as far as I can determine…

Haveing said that… Can I find a way to “Change it’s Behaviour”…? Or Should I try to get the guy to look for another stick for me? Or Should I cet him to exchange the 256meg.@PC 133 for a 512meg.@PC133 stick… which I think he has? Or?? Am I waisting My time, even thinking about “UPPING” the ram size? For this P-111 out-dated machine?

It works pretty good… You know… Apart, from being Low-on-Ram…

Bill…

AFAIK, those boards don’t supprot more than 512meg. I googled “ASUS CUSL2c memory issues” and didn’t get much beyond checking the memory timings (set them for auto or CAS3) and http://cusl2.radified.com/

I’d try the 2 x 256meg and see how you go.

Willy.

Hi Willy:
Thanks for your reply, and that great link… It looks like there’s not too much missing on this Mainboard, on those pages…

I have a feeling that the piece of ram I bought from that guy is not able to work, as a pair, with any of the other pieces of ram I have. I paid 60.00 plus tax for this stick… 67.50 total… A new stick bought locally here will run 138.00 at Staples/ Office Depot… This stuff ain’t cheap… Supply-and-demand… I think it’s called…

Here’s some other pieces of ram that I have laying around… I haven’t tried these sticks in this machine… but do you think I should try these in one-or-two of the ram slots? And… do you think they’ll work? and is it worth giving them a try?

I have one double-sided stick that has these stickers on it…

1 x’s 16 x 64 100 - 222 128mb This is double-sided ram

Then I have this other stick… This is single-sided ram… I think

1 x’s 128mb PC - 100 128 mb This is single-sided ram

All of this effort is just to get this machine to recognize 512 meg. @ PC 133 of ram… And… sense the 1.2 mhz machine recognizeses 512 meg. @ PC 133 (in two sticks) of ram and works with little-or-no-issues…

Bill…

P.S. By the way… Did you get back working? I sure hope you did…

The problem I was eluding to has to do with using two 256 meg sticks. Both sticks need to be of exactly the same type and brand - and even manufacturing batch if possible.

I tried updating to 512 megs with two sticks and ran into the same problem a few years back. I could use either stick with no problems, but with both I’d get very random blue screens. The memory was the exact same type but from different companies. I got two new sticks from the same batch and all was fine after that. Good thing memory was cheap. This kind of problem is probably worse on some motherboards than others, and I think it’s safe to assume memory sticks as well.

I have never had a problem mixing sticks 128 megs or less. I suppose it could be an issue in some machines.

I suggest trying the 256 meg sticks separately. If they work by themselves but not together and they aren’t out of the same batch, even if they are from the same company, then you may be hitting that. It sure was a headache until I figured out what the problem was.

<!–QuoteBegin>

P.S. By the way… Did you get back working? I sure hope you did…

Yeah, I wandered into a guitar store I used to teach at and the owner said “I’m flat out, wanna help? I’ll pay ya”. So too easy, it’s just casual, but I’m more than happy with that. I actually got into Uni to do a post grad in primary teaching, so I’ll be doing that next year.

Back on topic - for an intel chipset it certainly seems picky. I remember running a BX motherboard in various combinations up to 768meg with ram I purchased over3 years - and overclocked too… I’ve heard Nforce2 boards can be picky but I’ve had no problems - I’ve got 2x256 1x512, overclocked in dual channel.

Willy.

Thank you, for the replies, Guys:
I think I’ll call the place where I got that stick and ask him if he’ll make an exchange for me, for the 512 meg. , stick. I’ll give this set-up a try with a single stick, and see, it’s behaviour…

Willy… It’s good to hear that your’re back working and being productive, and all… We gotta keep the money comming in to support our DAW habbit…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Willy… It’s good to hear that your’re back working and being productive, and all… We gotta keep the money comming in to support our DAW habbit…

Heh, I’m nearly working for gear. Looks like the Berry GDI-21 are finally off backorder and I should be getting it next week hopefully.

What’s a Berry GDI-21? Have I missed something? Can a Bluenose’r afford one of them? Along with a sitck of Ram? :laugh: :p

Bill…

[EDIT]
I called the place where I got that Ram… He’s gonna make a trade for the 512 meg. , stick… However, I didn’t ask what the differewnce would be… Anyway, I just can’t use the 256 meg. stick…

<!–QuoteBegin>

I called the place where I got that Ram… He’s gonna make a trade for the 512 meg. , stick… However, I didn’t ask what the differewnce would be… Anyway, I just can’t use the 256 meg. stick…

Sometimes that’s the best option… make the problem go away. Sure, the two 256 stick should work together, but unless you’ve got plenty of time to understand what’s going on the smart decision is to do what you’ve done.

We see it a lot at work. Things that should work, don’t. Swap a component, uninstall-reinstall… and all is well. As my boss says, ‘if it was easy, everyone would do it’.

Mark

Hi Mark:
The choice has got me thinking… ???

Whould it be a Smart decission to put the single 512 meg. stick in the 1.2 mhz. XP machine? and the 2 x’s 256 meg. sticks in the 800 mhz. '98SE machine? Or… vise-versa?

Bill…

Bill,

I don’t think it will make a great deal of difference, and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Unless… The XP machine might ultimately benefit from some more RAM. Having a single 512 stick in there frees up a slot for more memory. But if I were you, I’d worry about it when the time comes…

Mark

Hi Mark:
I hear… In the morning, after the Run. I’'ll go and swap the stick. I’ll have the answer, before noon. My inital thoughts was, to put the 512 stick in the XP Desk/Machine, and the 2 x’s 256 in the 800mhz '98SE machine. Time will tell…

Question???? The XP machine randomly, closes the Explorer, Browser. Requesting that a report be sent off to Micro-Soft… This is really annoying… and happens at the most inopertune/worst of times… When I check it’s version, under HELP the version is…

v 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519

Is that the series that should be reported in the About screen? Just checking…

Bill…

Hi All:
The Ram Issue is resolved. I got the 512 meg. stick, in exchenge for the 256 meg. stick that didn’t mate-up with any sticks I had… I installed the 512 meg. stick in the 1.2 mhz. machine… and the 2 x’s 256 meg. sticks in the 800mhz. machine … and both machines work like a charm… so far. no issues, regarding ram in either machine. Cost for the 512 meg@PC 133 stick was 107.50, including all tax…

So, now I have a 256@PC 133 stick of ram with no Home…

I am thinking about putting that piece into the 1.2 mhz machine along with the 512 meg. stick… I’m wondering if the 1.2 mhz. CUSL2C mainboard with xp set-up will “See” the 256 meg. + 512 meg. sticks ? Is there any merrit to that? Or, should I let well enough, alone…

Bill…

Takes about 5 seconds to chuck one in and see what happens. Don’t work, take it out…

Hi Willy:
I thought I would ask the question before I did the deed. Every time I play with this XP machine it sends a report off to Microsoft… After three changes of hardware, it closes the “Keys” and then asks me to call India for a new set of #'s… I’ve been calling them a few times, of late… The last time I called, his name was Ricky… and the time before that… and before that… :laugh: I think I know them all … now… And their sisters and their girlfriends and EX’s and all… :p :laugh:

Bill…

Would a memory swap set that off though? I know some bits of hardware cause less concern than others - motherboards in particular…

Windows XP checks various hardware items on boot and if sufficient have changed then a reactivation is required.

This article give more info:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Notice that RAM is included.

If the hardware remains stable for 120 days the new configuration is taken as the baseline.

The XPinfo tool is quite handy for knowing the status of your build.

HTH

Mark

Hi Guys:
Willy… I hope I’m not makeing “LIGHT” of all this… I’m getting paranoide here… :O ??? :p

I’m even frightened to change the toilet paper, I use… And… If I forget what I had for supper, the other night, *Billy G :p :laugh: is gonna want to know… I’m not tellin him where I get my Cod Toungs, either… so there…

I stand corrected on this… but… the only thing that Microsoft isn’t fussy about knowing is, what’s connected to your USB Ports and FireWire Ports… But… give them time… and don’t hold that idea, in your hand…

Oh… By the way… Ricky didn’t leave home… He got thrown out… The girl-friend wrote me some E-Mail, and told me all about, him… She told me the whole story… India has Day-Time “Soaps” too… lol… HhEeYy.

Bill…