Playback audio speed too fast

Quote: (FireComm @ Jan. 04 2014, 2:10 PM)

I have changed the n-Track bit rate to 24

that is a good idea considering the Scarlett USB default is 24, meaning it will not and cannot do any other bit rate regardless of what shows up in Ntrack or Windows. :agree:
Quote: (FireComm @ Jan. 04 2014, 2:10 PM)

Flavio
I only record in 'voice activated mode' and yes I am using the 'adjust playback speed' slider in the bottom of the screen in an attempt to slow down the recording.
I have changed the n-Track bit rate to 24 and yes the Scarlett control panel also reads 44100.

I have just sent you a *.wav file from a recent recording session.

Paul

Firecomm,

please do the following:
- from the recording you've sent it would seem that the problem is related to voice-activated recording, but I'm not sure. Please try recording a short track normally (i.e. non voice-activated) so that we can determine wether the problem is with recording in general or only with voice-activated recording.

- if the problem is only with voice activated recording, please try increasing the hold time and lowering the threshold and see if that makes any difference

Flavio.

Flavio

I can now confirm that recording a single track without the voice activated recording feature produces a perfect recording. Audio playback is spoken word quality with no speed related issues.
As requested, I started a new multi-track recording and increased the hold time to maximum and lower the threshold. It might have made a marginal difference because I can now understand some of the recording during playback – so the playback speed appears to be somewhat slower, but still not perfect. There is still a speed related issue that seems to be related to the use of voice activated feature. The recording with this configuration is not usable.

Flavio
Based on my latest reply – do you have any idea what might be causing the playback speed related problem? At this point the recordings are not usable and I’m out of options for a multi-track voice activated recording solution. Your help would be appreciated when time permits.
Would it help to connect with my computer and have a look at the setup?

FireComm,

we have identified the problem (which is related to the hold time becoming excessively short in some circumstances) and we’ll be releasing a new build that fixes the issue within the week.

Flavio.

Flavio

Thanks for the reply. In keeping with your thoughts about the voice activated feature being at the route of the problems that I’ve reported, I thought you would like to know the following piece of information.

The longer I let the multi-track recording run, the faster the word pulses in the recording duration window in the bottom centre of the screen. Normally my recordings run about 150 hours before I close the file and start a new project. While that’s a long time, the actual amount of recorded air time is relatively small. So when the recording starts (with the voice activated feature) the word pulses normally in the time code window. At about 40 hours the pulsing starts to speed up and by the time the recording reaches 100 hours the word is pulsing so fast you can just read the word. Not sure if this has any bearing on the problem, but thought I would mention it.

Hi FireComm,

the problem should be fixed in build 3116 which we just put online. When you try it I’d be glad to know if the voice activated recording works correctly with your setup.

Thanks.

Flavio.

Flavio

One quick question… is the hold time actually measured in seconds? What would you suggest the default hold time should be on your scale? Most of my communications are pretty snappy between dispatchers and responders.

Flavio

I am very pleased to report the playback speed issue (using voice activated recording) has been fixed. The playback audio is now spoken work perfect. Thank you for all the work behind the scenes to correct the problem with this feature.

I still need a comment from you about the setting of hold time – otherwise I am now very happy with the recording / playback process.

Paul

Paul,

the “Hold” control allows you to define the amount of time the gate will stay open after the signal falls below the threshold. The optimum value is the time of pauses between the words of the speech you’re recording. If the value is less than this time, you’ll obtain the “chatter” effect, that occurs when the gate opens and closes continuously.
Usually, an optimal value of “Hold” control for a snappy communication is between 0.2 - 1.5 seconds.

Regards,
Andrea

n-Track Development Team

I need help myself I put in import song and instrumental from YouTube and for some reason when I play them they are slower what did I do wrong