Playback Settings Defaulting to Mono

playback problem

Hi – although I’ve been using nTrack for quite some time, I’m having a basic problem. Hopefully I’m just doing something fundamentally stupid! Using 4.0.5 build 1846 on a PC running WinXP/SP2 with an Audigy 2ZS P interface. Haven’t found this topic in the forum.

Don’t remember if this started with this build or earlier: I cannot get the playback meter settings to maintain in stereo! Every time I open the program I have to remember to reset playback to stereo before I do anything else. If I forget and wait until I need playback, the program (and sometimes the computer) crashes after setting to stereo and hitting “play”. Stereo playback is crucial to my work (learn tracks for singers) …

Anyone have any ideas?

in acappella harmony,

Evelyn

I dunno about that build…or anything after 2.3, lol
but I always set the playback inside the preference box, and it stays the same everytime I start the program…? ???

Take care,

jerm

This may be your problem (it had me going for a while)…

In the settings for the Recording & Playback VUs (click on the hammer), there is a setting “Apply settings to all channels”. If I tick this, then my playback format follows my input format. In other words, when I recorded a stereo track I was fine, but if I switched to mono, the playback switched too. To further complicate matters it only seemed to make the switch when I started n-Track.

I’m not sure how long this setting has been there - I don’t recall seeing it before but I did reset my preferences just recently (following an upgrade) and then this started happening.

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not.


HTH


Mark

Thanks, Mark! Worked at least once so far.

in a cappella harmony,

Evelyn

Excellent…

and welcome by the way…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
there is a setting “Apply settings to all channels”. If I tick this, then my playback format follows my input format.

I ran into that as well. After thunking about it a week now, I think that’s got to be seen as a minor bug. The input and outputs should be kept separate in this instance. I do a lot of input switching, going between two different echo devices. I need to switch all the inputs at the same time - this functionmakes that easy when you’re working with a large number of inputs. But, I don’t need the outputs following them every time, forcing me to undo the invisible switch on that end – I didn’t change the outputs at all intentionally.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
I ran into that as well. After thunking about it a week now, I think that’s got to be seen as a minor bug. The input and outputs should be kept separate in this instance. I do a lot of input switching, going between two different echo devices. I need to switch all the inputs at the same time - this functionmakes that easy when you’re working with a large number of inputs. But, I don’t need the outputs following them every time, forcing me to undo the invisible switch on that end – I didn’t change the outputs at all intentionally


I think I agree Phoo that it’s probably a bug although I wondered if I was missing something.