Playing with a Vocoder

Analog X vocoder (freeware)

I played with vocoder effects on a couple of my originals, as well as some of the Covers I’ve done over the years. When you hear these songs, keep in mind that this is NOT Auto-tune, lol, but my actual voice modulated by the guitar, with the help of Analog X Vocoder (which is a free direct X plugin).

SHE USED TO BE MINE

VOODOO WOMAN

Thats very cool. I just grabbed the Analog X Vocoder, will give it a try.
Nice blend of your guitar tones and vocodered vocals on SHE USED TO BE MINE.

Cool.

I love vocoders. I’ve never used the software kind. How exactly did you route it?

Tom, this particular program is stand-alone. You create two mono files, one your vocal, and the other the instrument you will modulate it with. The program creates a single file of the two, which is your vocoded voice. I’d considered using the vocoder for other things as well… i.e.: how would a piano sound that was modulated by a guitar, hmmm? lol!

so I could record a couple of tracks to a click, e.g., take them and run them through it, and import the result?

A piano through a guitar? seems to me it might sound a bit like a banjo through a hamster. perhaps.

Quote: (TomS @ Sep. 28 2010, 8:50 PM)

so I could record a couple of tracks to a click, e.g., take them and run them through it, and import the result?

A piano through a guitar?
seems to me it might sound a bit like a banjo through a hamster.
perhaps.

Absolutely, that's how I do it, Tom. Import the mono wav file back in, go into settings on it, so that n-track will treat it as a stereo file.

lol@banjo thru hamster

Hi dannyraymilligan:

Thanks for the links…
That’s very creative stuff, you have there…

The vocoder effect and the result you get from your setup sounds very much like the old Talk Boxes they used in the late '60’s and '70’s…

It was a E/V
1823 Horn Driver in a box on the floor beside the mic stand… It had a plastic tube that was taped to the mic stand and was taped to the mic with some duct tape… The the singer sang into the plastic tube and formed the vocals in front of the mic…
Well…
:p
:laugh:

Has anyone played with-and-used an old Talk Box ????

Bill…

I made one once, Bill. I’ll dig it out and UP a photo.

AaHh:

I’d love to see your creation…
Way back when Leonard was young he had one and used it on the stages, we worked on together…
However, he was so traditional with his playing style that it didn’t last long for him…
You see many of the Nashville steel guitar players including Pete Drake made it imperative that the steel players had to use them…
That guy was so creative with his playing…
None of the other steel players, I worked with, that I recall, used one, around these parts… However, there were a few guitar players that used them on their stagees…

The good-ole-days…

:)
:p
hehe

Bill…

I had a talk box in about 1976, used my little Gibson GA-5 to power it, it was COOL. I bought one a couple of years ago with it’s own built in amp - sounds good, but not as good as the one driven by that little Gibson.

It was this one, right after they renamed it the “Skylark.”

? Golden Throat? Robert Fripp?

Yep.

I got one of them Gibson Amps…

A GA 5-or-6 ????
I should check…
It’s in the old studio…
I must get busy one day fire it up and see what it needs…
The last I remember, it had a Hum in it somewhere…
One of the 12AX7’s has a “Floating” tube socket…
It’s on a pair of grommets…
and I don’t believe it’s grounded properly…
I think it has a pair of 6V6’s in the output circuit…
And One nice Speaker…
12" or 10"…
Can’t remember…

I gotta get it out…
AND…
If I looked really hard I think I have a pair of E/V 1823 Mid Horn Drivers around…
somewhere…
???
:)
You’re right…
A perfect Harp or Talk Box…
Amp…

Bill…

[edit]
I think Electro Harmonix made the Golden Throat Box…
Could it have been them ????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki…70s.JPG

Boy…

That’s beautiful…
Now-a-days yea can put all them parts on a piece of plastic the size of your finger nail…
The only thing is…
if it ever broke down yea can’t fix them anymore…

I guess you toss it out and get another one…

Bill…

Bill. All we need to do is have you, first cloned and then shrunk. You would need to decide between yourselves which one goes into the machine. The Bill who does, will need to remember to take a soldering iron and meter, a phone and to swap numbers with big Bill.
All our new/old interfacing needs - sorted.
:laugh:

Bill, if you ever, ever, ever decide to sell that amp, let me have first crack at it!!!

I love that vocoder, Tony. Bet it sounds waaaay better than any digital version.