POP PUNK GUITAR????????

SET UP?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on setting up a good sounding pop punk guitar distortion. I am using this equipment:

Epiphone Flamekat
ZOOM G2.1u Multi Effect Pedal
Fender Princeton 65 amp

I also have a digitech grunge pedal that i used to use but i wanna try and use this zoom pedal cause i just got it. I’ve been reading the manual and playing around with it but everything i try to do just comes out sounding too metal.
I’m trying to get a sound like Fall Out Boy or pretty much anything pop punk like that. If anyone has any idea how i coud set up for this please respond as soon as possible. I have to do a show at the end of the month and i want to have a really good sound. Thanks for your time.

Bart

Just by what I’ve been seeing in punk band back lines, I’d try maybe two tracks to start off with, one with the dual rectifier model, and one with one the marshall models. Turn the gain back a bit on both rather than going flat out.

Remember: less is more.

Well, not really, but recorded guitar seems to me to sound better if one uses less distortion than one might like live. Compression always helps too, not too heavy, but enough to give the sound some guts. I’d say try that - less distortion than you might think you want, compressed a bit.

Seems to me if you just turn up that amp all the way you’ll get a good sound. Fenders like that. :)

Edit: oops. I’m wrong, that’s the solid state version. You have access to a tube amp?

Reading the manual though, I’d probably give it a go through the USB port, selecting the mic and cabinet setting, playing with the mic selection and placement parameters.

Too much drive and treble will probably make it sound a bit artificial imo.

To me, the definition of “Punk” guitar tone is an amp or amp modeler set on the edge of distortion with a P90 loaded guitar being pummeled by a VERY agressive player. Awesome punk tones to be had from Gretsch guitars with Filtertrons. (Yeah baby!) Overdrive the frontend of the amp a tad. Too much and you get mud or “almost metal” tones. Sheesh, I know I’m failing miserably describing this… I have a tough time getting just “that” sound myself… mostly because I don’t whack my guitar enough maybe?

TG – not agressive enough.

turn it on, turn it up, press record.

Quote (gtr4him @ Oct. 04 2005,09:26)
To me, the definition of "Punk" guitar tone is an amp or amp modeler set on the edge of distortion with a P90 loaded guitar being pummeled by a VERY agressive player. Awesome punk tones to be had from Gretsch guitars with Filtertrons. (Yeah baby!) Overdrive the frontend of the amp a tad. Too much and you get mud or "almost metal" tones. Sheesh, I know I'm failing miserably describing this... I have a tough time getting just "that" sound myself... mostly because I don't whack my guitar enough maybe?

TG -- not agressive enough.

Make it a decent tube amp and I think you have it... :)

Eyup!

Mix in a bit of the clean guitar sound - that’s the secret!

Steve

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 04 2005,11:57)
Make it a decent tube amp and I think you have it… :)

You GOTTA be KIDDIN’ !?!?!? OF COURSE I MEANT A TOOB AMP!! :D :D

Solid-staters are OK for noodling around on… but if you are serious about geet-ar TONE… make it TOOBS baby! I’ve got a decent recording tone with my Korg Pandora that’s in the “punk” vein… but not really… sorta… aw phooey!

TG – Carvin BelAire - 5 12AX7A’s 4 EL84’s SA-WEET! (Pooey solid state rectifier but… it’s a swell amp.) HERE