Poping in Win /Vista?

recording

Ive just bought another cpu with some serious power to do some recording…unfortunately Ive got win vista…which seems to be compatible with NADA…all of my older vst programs from my XP cpu wont even work in vista…N-track works fine with vista ,except for one glitch thats driving me crazey!!!
WHEN I START TO RECORD IT POPS IN THE BEGGINING AND POPS WHEN RECORDING IS STOPPED AT THE END…what da due :( ce is this and how can i stop it…ive tried everything under the sun…does anyone know whats up…im ready to roll out some serious projects…but if i send them with the pops in them…even my grandmother with one ear would say what da heyyyy is that??? someone help!

Hi FogMusic:

I don’t think your gonna find many serious Audio guys up here that have moved to VISTA as their operating system. In fact many of them that use n-Track have not upgraded beyond v 3 of n-Track…

Stability of their set-ups have kept them from updating… as I read their posts…

I still use '98SE in my studio setup along with XP Home with the latest version-and-builds of n-Track, in a dual boot configuration…

It could be that you are experiencing some kind of “Driver Issues” with your setup and the ability of your Hardware and Software to interact smoothly with one another… Who Knows?

Having the latest versions of Hardware and Software doesn’t necessarily mean smooth working audio… That’s just my opinion… and something for you to consider…

Maybe, some one up here may suggest something that you might pay special attrention to with your setup that will get you running smoothly…

I hope this reply helps.

Bill…

When you say you have tried everything, does that include the buffer settings?

Thanks Bill…I should have stayed with XP

Yes I have tried from the highest buffering to the lowest settings…and it does nothing but get worse. Im wondering if it is the factory sound card which i never have liked the company…which is Realtek…although its the realtek Hd sound card…Im thinking about going to buy a Creative SoundBlaster card…they are the best…thats what i had on my last system…

After reading some of the other Forums…it appears that there are Bugs in ver 5 that are causing the poping??? not sure…does anyone know if Vista will work on the older versions …possible 4x ver…

I recently converted from XP to Vista. No problems at all. I use v. 5. I don’t think your problem is Vista.

I haven’t heard of popping being a problem in Ntrack. I wonder if the probelm is in the mic or sound card - I know that if you turn a mic on /off with a swith you can get a pop and you mention this is happening at the start and end of recordings. If you have another sound card you might try that, and Vista is suppose to have anew approach to audio - are the drivers for your audio rated for Vista?
Just ballparking . . .

Thanks for the insite guys…mabye it is my sound card…not using a mic yet…just trying to lay tracks right now…vocals later…ill check and see whats going on with this realtek hd card which i guess is supposed to be top notch…but its not on the N-Track list of sound card that are used best with N-track…im glad to know someone else has vista and ver 5 with no problems

I once had slight popping at the start of tracks when my Delta sound card somehow got set to 48k but n-track was set to 44.1K. Setting the Delta to 44.1k and ticking the sample rate locked box fixed it.

My assumtion was that the delta was “idling” at 48k then having to change to 44k as soon as I went into record and hence causing a click.

Nick

Good advise…checked all the rates switched all to 44…then back to 48…even tried 96 but hence the poping continues…has to be this freekin realtek…question before i buy another sound card…will an audio usb interface solve sound card issues…thinking about picking one up to enhance my recording abilties a little…

I use Guitar Port, a USB digital audio interface. I use it as my “sound card”. Being mainly a bass / guitar player, it is quite nice. This in one of hundreds of USB interfaces.

You can check it out here:

http://line6.com/guitarport/

I hope you do not have media center edition. If so do not waste your money on a new card. And beware of m audio USB.I am not saying it does not work for some people but it had driver problems for me.

Having the same problem with Vista, version 4 ntrack and realtek hd card. Doesn’t do it every time and the pops are mainly in the beggining of song, but have a 5 to 10 second delay in tracks because I’m engineer and artist at same time so need the seconds to get to record booth for vocals. Cut the dead time out which gets rid of the occasional pops at begining. Am thinking it’s the realtek card. Plus am having trouble with ntrack reconizing the realtek card, that may be my problem, still got the path as sndvol32. Guess I’m just not a “REAL TEK”! :(