Poverty in the US - the stat's are in!

1 in 8 Americans in poverty: US census

Well folks, the stat’s are in! 1 in 8 Americans (12.6 %) and almost 1 in 4r blacks lived in poverty last year, the US Census Bureau said on Tuesday. Poverty is defined as having an annual income around $10,000 for an individual or $20,000 for a family of four.

The “good” news: both ratios are virtually unchanged from 2004 and it was the first year since Bush took office in 2001 that the poverty rate did not increase.

The other “good” news is that the average American household earned more money last year than in 2004 (based on a sampling of 3 million households, median U.S. household income for 2005 was $46,326, an increase of 1.1 percent in real, inflation-adjusted dollars over the previous year. It was the first time real income rose since 1999). Of course, you would expect that if you claim that we’re in a recovery (which Bush has claimed for quite sometime).

And surprise, surprise: around a quarter of blacks and 21.8% of Hispanics were living in poverty. Among whites, the rate edged down to 8.3% from 8.7% in 2004.

Now the bad news (the stuff the Republicans don’t want you to know):

1) 15.9% of the population, or 46.6 million, had no health insurance, up from 15.6% in 2004 and an increase for a fifth consecutive year, even as the economy grew at a 3.2% clip. This is disasterous!

2) Wages for men fell 1.8 percent to $41,386; wages for women fell 1.3 percent to $31,858. And the only reason medium income rose is that more & more families have 2 breadwinners.

3) All the income gains went to householders aged 65 or older, most of whom are retirees and no longer part of the work force. Their median household income gained 2.8 percent. In contrast, median income of non-elderly households, working people, fell 0.5 percent.

America: it’s time for a wake-up call!

As quoted by Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies; lies, d.a.m.n lies and statistics"

Don’t get me wrong, statistics can be used positively to help give a picture of whatever the statistics are about. But the problem with statistics is that you can easily twist their meaning so that they serve a single purpose when in fact they were not meant to do so. And frankly, I do not need statistics to convince me that Bush is doing a terrible job as leader of the free world.

You know, I get a huge laugh every time a Bush Supporter tells me that no matter how bad Bush is, he’s better than John Kerry or Al Gore. You betcha he’s better if your concept of better is that you wanted the world to be much more unstable, you wanted to send your children to kill other people, you wanted the economy to be held at gunpoint by oil prices and you want lobbyists and big business to run the country.

What a laugh :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

you wanted the economy to be held at gunpoint by oil prices

Sadly Doc, that will always be the case until we do what tspringer discussed in another thread… and that is lead the WORLD in developing alternate, renewable energy sources to replace dinosaur poop.

D

Flint MI came in at 1 in 3 in poverty. I guarantee you that stat is accurate. Thing is, it’s as much Clinton’s as Bush’s fault (think NAFTA or the way Clinton gave China a free hand). Or even more: it’s the fault of a system that undervalues people and communities, and overvalues profits. :angry:

Of course, the term “poverty” is relative isn’t it?

If your single daily meal is half a plateful of goat-shit, then you certainly are poor compared to those who have a full plateful.

Quote (Guest @ Aug. 31 2006,22:17)
Of course, the term "poverty" is relative isn't it?

If your single daily meal is half a plateful of goat-shit, then you certainly are poor compared to those who have a full plateful.

Leave it to the green one to put it in perspective. :)

D -- thinks that's something a LOT of people are lacking... perspective.

<!–QuoteBegin>

D – thinks that’s something a LOT of people are lacking… perspective.

I have it on my wishlist. (along with some more goatshit)

KF
Quote (Guest @ Aug. 31 2006,22:55)
D -- thinks that's something a LOT of people are lacking... perspective.

I have it on my wishlist. (along with some more goatshit)

KF
:D :D

No KF... I think you have pretty d$%n good perspective. However, the majority of the people in our governing body don't have a freakin' CLUE... THAT is the sad part.

The first year the wifey and I were married, we filed our tax return on a lousy 13,000 bucks. I'd wager that NONE of our current legislative body and executive branch have EVER tried to live on that paltry sum. Those were tough times...

D