Preparing to buy new monitors

might I suggest something none seems to think of? good :)

Why not try a more inexpensive active pair of monitors like so
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…1

and take the remaining $150 -whatever and buy something that will REALLY make a difference in how you hear your mixes… Sound treatment!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…2

This kit is obviously more expensive than $500 with the above monitors, but honestly, you could always use room treatment MORE than flat monitors. IMO anyways.

Listen, the peaks/valleys for the frequency response in the average home studio’s control room is approximately a 30db range. 30 DB!!!

so who the heck cares that your monitors are +/- 3 db across the spectrum… you won’t hear it at home. All you’ll hear is that 200 Hz room mode and some other random frequency responses.

It doesn’t really make sense to find a better speaker when the place you have to hear them in will ruin their response anyways. I say you buy some room treatment and flatten out your room a bit while continuing to use whatever monitors you have (unless you have none), and after you’ve taken care of your room a bit, then get good monitors.

BTW I have some Event 20/20’s, I think they’re great, but when I listen to my mixes somewhere else, I realize how bad my ROOM is because when I heard it on my monitors, it sounded fine, but the stereo in the car tells a much different story.

g69 makes a good and valid point. However, KNOWING your monitors AND your room will certainly go a LONG way toward better mixes even if you can’t have a nicely treated room. Time and experience make a LOT of difference IMO. I’ve had my Events almost a year now and I am JUST NOW getting to where my mixes translate well to the car, the church PA, the home stereo etc…

TG

The last 2 posts made some excellent points. Don’t forget also that if you have the cash and you plan on playing your tunes on a wide variety of playback systems, you can always send the tunes out to be mastered by someone with heavy duty experience.
If you do this one tune at a time the cost is usually not unreasonable. Someone with solid experience can usually take a mix that is in the ballpark and make something really impressive out of it. Of course you have to try and do the best you can to deliver a product that is the best you are capable of.

Ted

very pleased with my yorkville passive speakers.

whoops double posted that