Printer Never Works..

When I go to Use It…

I use my printer twice a month… However when I go to use it… the Paper doesn’t feed into the printer… or… nothing gets printed on the paper… ??? :(

This afternoon I took my printer apart and did an overhaul on it… Now the paper feeds through it just fine… But I need a couple of cartridges… They cost as much as a reasonable quality printer… I guess I wasted the afternoon, on my printer that I purchased in 2000… Well…

Bill…

I never buy ink cartriges.
If a printer runns out of ink, I scour the local Staples, or Circuit City looking for a display model they are usually way below cost to purchase and they have ink in them.

I also have ink refills that cost me 12 bucks or so, which I can inject into the old cartriges.

Take care,

jerm

Eyup!

I know what you mean Bill.
Being a Yorkshireman, we have a (deserved?) reputation for being, shall I say “careful” with our money.
Therefore I decided to experiment with those so-called “compatible” ink cartridges. Complete disaster, it ended up costing me a new printer. Now I just grit my teeth and fork out the cash for the real McCoy. It’s cheaper in the end. I only buy HP printers as well.
See, I can spend money :D

Incidentally Bill, I spent a day in Newfie-land this summer, well, technically anyway. I went on a walking tour of the Somme battlefields and visited Newfoundland Park to pay my respects to the men who died there during the Great War.
I had a chat with some youngsters who were on some kind of summer job there, sadly they were all Canadian, not a Newfie amongst them. They seemed amazed I even knew the term “Newfie” and a bit miffed when I suggested that, seeing as how Newfoundland was not part of Canada during World War One it wasn’t really anything to do with them. Canadian troops made their own sacrifice in other battles and were commemorated accordingly.
I can’t be too hard on them though, if I’d have had such a chance when I was their age, I’d have jumped at it!

Steve

Bill, I hear you!

I tried the refill route once on my older Lexmark. The ink leaked and caused the carriage to freeze up when the ink dried. My wife had bought the refill kit from QVC and they made it good by buying me a whole new printer.

I now shop eBay and you can often find factory-sealed cartridges for cheap. The last two that I bought were about half-priced. I avoid the bigger ink houses and look for individuals selling sealed originals.

The companies who sell re-manufactured cartridges claim that the factories only fill them half full, which I believe. Only the “high yield” cartridges come topped off. Buyer beware, aye wot!?

HTH

Don

PS: My new Lexmark 3100 has two ink cartridges, a black and a colored one. Together they cost as much as or more than the printer which came complete with two carts. What does that tell you about their marketing scheme?

You got it Don, printer companies only exist to sell ink, the printer is just the loss leader. :)

Anyway, don’t you miss dot matrix printers?

That horrendous noise that sounded like a T. Rex on speed sharpening its teeth with a blunt file!

Then there was opening the ribbon cartridge with wifey’s best kitchen knife to turn the ribbon over, but even after that, the ink faded till you could only read it in Broille! LOL

Broille? Sorry, I’ll feel that again. :(

Ali

Ali,

Yeah, and with DMP units you could stretch the ink by squirting a little WD-40 on the ribbon and go again for a month or so.

Don

ARGH!! You guys are bringing back too many terrible memories for me! STOP!

In a former life, I was an office equipment technician. I worked on dot matrix, daisy wheel, bubble-jet, lasers, thermal transfer, dye-sub etc ad nauseum… I HATED THAT JOB! The color lasers were the WORST! Everyday after work, I’d blow the ol’ nose… “Look dear! Technicolor snot!” That s%$t had to be bad for my health. I don’t miss that job…

TG – breathing cleaner air…

Hi Terry:
I raised the question I had, with this printer gureu… When I answered the questions he asked me it came down to the fact that I never “Parked” the ink cartridges in my printer… I always turned my printer off by the mains switch, on the power bar… He says that it is common for the ink nozzeles to dry-out when you turn your printer off, via, the power-bar… :O ???

So, You were one of them guys hanging around all them Office Secretaries… and tell them how to run their Printers… ?? :O :laugh: :p

Bill…

Many newer printers have auto-on-off. I turn mine on, then if the power (mains to the house) went off I turn it back on. :)

I have two printers - an Epson Stylus and and a Canon Photo. The Epson is the one I turn back on occasionally. The Canon is fully on-off. It turns itself off after a time and turns itself on when printing to it.

Both avoid the problem you mention, which is a major problem when they are simply powered down by turning of the AC. If you get that problem when turning it off by using the power button on the printer then I’d say the printer was flawed.

I agree that printer companies sell printers just to sell ink. I could replace the Epson and the Canon every few months based on the money that goes into ink (when the kids go on a printing tear). Unfortunately, based on personal experience, I never get ink cartridges that aren’t exact replacements. I tried Office Depot brand and got about half the sheets with it before it “dried out”, and the printer NEVER worked right again. The ink level was reported as full when it stopped working. There was consistant color streaking due to clogged jets after putting the real deal back in. I completely killed another printer using off-market cartridges. I’ve never had a problem with genuine replacements ---- except the highway robbery prices.

This reminds me of the old days when you needed to park the hard drive when powering down a computer. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

I never buy ink cartridges.
If a printer runns out of ink, I scour the local Staples, or Circuit City looking for a display model they are usually way below cost to purchase and they have ink in them.

Jerm, that is only too true.

Last week Denise’s Epson C60 ran out of ink, so she went to buy a cartridge, and instead came back with a re-conditioned Canon IP1500, plus brand new Canon cartridges for almost half what the cartridges for the Epson would’ve cost.

What a terrible throw-away world we have. :(

Ali

<!–QuoteBegin>

What a terrible throw-away world we have

That is (sadly) very true.

:(

Hi Guys:
In another life… (now aren’t I jsut a big skeptic :O )… I’d like to return as a person with the ability to scan land-fill sites for Leo Fender Amps, and Bata VCR’s, and Epson Printers… and… and… well… LexMark Printers… :laugh:

The stuff that’s down there… say 100 ft… is perfectly good… That’s if you could get by the methane gas… That nobody’s useing…

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Aug. 31 2005,21:59)
So, You were one of them guys hanging around all them Office Secretaries… and tell them how to run their Printers… ??

Yup. That was me. Printers, copiers, typewriters, calculators… etc. Oh, the stories I could tell… but I won’t bore you guys! Man, that seems like a hundred years ago… Eh, it still sucked! :p

TG

PS Bill? The “T” is “Tim” not “Terry”. It’s OK though, I’ll answer to just about anything! I have an older brother who was a star athlete in high school… you know BIG MAN on campus? I had to answer to “Steve” most of my teenage years. :D

PPS My advice on printers? If you don’t NEED the color, buy a laser. Lower cost per page and will last for YEARS. Buy a decent office grade model up-front and you are done for a LONG TIME. The consumer grade bubblejets and cheapie lasers are throw-aways for sure. People call me all the time with those little sub $100 HP’s, EPSONS, Lexmarks… wanting me to repair them. “TOSS IT! Go buy a new one… that one ain’t worth my time and YOUR money.” “Have a nice day.”

<!–QuoteBegin>

PS Bill? The “T” is “Tim” not “Terry”. It’s OK though, I’ll answer to just about anything!

I think the confusion might have come (it did for me waaaay in the beginning) from still4given - Isn’t his name Terry ?

Must be the ‘4’

:p
Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ Sep. 01 2005,10:29)
PS Bill? The "T" is "Tim" not "Terry". It's OK though, I'll answer to just about anything!

I think the confusion might have come (it did for me waaaay in the beginning) from still4given - Isn't his name Terry ?

Must be the '4'

:p
I believe you are correct Wihan!

still4given = Terry
gtr4Him = Tim

No worries though...

TG

PS Have not seen Terry around in a while. I hope he's doing OK.

What-ever made me think your name was Terry… ? However I’ll do my best to make that right. My brother worked in the technical department in the T.V production… We weren’t twins, but We used to get mistaken for each other when I would get work in front of the camera… He worked behind the cameras… I would be in the make-up dept, the producers would mistake me for my brother… or, the other way around… All the guys on the floor, knew the difference… But those producers could get kinda “Tudy”…

Bill…

I’m totally confus-ed now. But tis ok since I was born that way. :D