Pro-Tool Session question

Hello There,

I have a hard-drive with a session that was recorded on a Mac/Pro-Tools system.

Is there a way to open it on n-Track or convert the AIFF so I can load it to n-track and Re-mix it?

Also, if that is a possibility, do I need to do the actual conversion on a Mac.?

Thank you,

DG

depends on how the regions are laid out in the PT session. The most clear-cut, foolproof way would be to go back into the PT session on the mac and bounce each track to a .WAV file to import into n-track. The downside of this is the time it takes and the access to the PT rig.

If you use Mac Drive and something like dbpoweramp, I have had some success just converting the .aiff to .wav files as well…

Cheers,
C

First off, clark is right, it’s easiest if you have access to the mac. Then you need to bounce each and every one of the files as a .wav, which has to be done in real time. This can take seemingly forever. If any of the tracks do not start at o.ooo or have edits, be sure that you consolidate them so that ALL of your tracks start at the same point and are free of edits, prior to the bounce process. This is the best, most foolproof way of making sure that your data will line up correctly in n-Track.

A slightly shorter route on the mac would be to consolidate all of your regions to the same start location, then burn data discs of the .aiff files. These discs could be loaded onto a PC drive and converted to .wav using something like the old Cool Edit applications that would do file conversions. I used to do this all the time with Cool Edit Pro. I bet the new Adobe version of Cool Edit will do this too.

You may run into problems just hooking your drive that was used on a mac to a PC. In Firewire land, you need a drive that is formatted to be both Mac and PC compatible. In addition it helps if, at the setup of the ProTools session, the operator made sure to do something that ProTools land calls “enforce Mac/PC compatibility”. If you’re not sure about this or the drive format, save yourself some trouble and store your .aiff files on a CD-R using the mac or convert them in ProTools.

Unfortunately, it’s very important when working on ProTools to know before the session starts whether the data will ever need to go to a PC. This is one of the first things I talk about with clients that I know are doing mixing outside of my studio, because getting the information at the end of the session causes headaches that are avoidable. Good luck…

So, if I read this correctly, the Apple file system (HFS) would be the first challenge to moving these files across to PC and ntrack. Wouldn’t it be possible to boot the system to Knoppix from CD, load the HFS kernel module, mount the drive, mount the PC system drive as NTFS or FAT then copy the AIFF files across to the PC disk. Then restart the Windows system and use a converter to change the AIFF->WAV and yer ‘in like flynn’ right?
???

Or does pro-tools use a proprietary filesystem?? That would sure put the kibosh on this idea…

.-=gp=-.

I would just setup an SMB share and copy the AIFFs over and convert to wav personally.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I would just setup an SMB share and copy the AIFFs over and convert to wav personally.

Doh! That was too easy. Not nearly enough technical jargon :laugh:

My second favourite method involved two IBM AS400’s, a diesel generator, Nicole Kidman, two golf balls, a length of garden hose, and a jar of vicks vapour rub. ???

Great Idea.

.-=gp=-.

You could also just burn the files to an ISO9660 CD disk, readable to either Mac or PC computers (although you have to stick to 8.3 filenames…)

Bubbas method is the best if the regions start at zero, for sure!

Quote (Bubbagump @ Sep. 01 2005,13:30)

Sorry guys, but what does “SMB” stand for?

DG

kinda on this topic is something i’ve always thought would be useful in a multi-track application… i’m not sure if the big guns have anything like this… i doubt it:

basically the idea would be to export a project as collection raw wav files of the same length so they can be imported into another audio application and mixed or continued there. i think what it would do is go track by track and mixdown each track to a plain old wav file, with 0’d pan and gain settings, no fx or eq applied, mono tracks stay mono, stereo tracks stay stereo, etc, bit depth and frequency are maintained… so you end up with a collection of the raw tracks of equal lengths so they will line up if you were to import into a different application.

i’m guessing the makers of these products don’t do anything like this because they don’t WANT you exporting your projects and using a different tool.

<!–QuoteBegin>

SMB stands for Server Message Block, is a protocol for sharing files, printers, serial ports, and communications abstractions such as named pipes and mail slots between computers.

I found it on the web. I’m not nearly as “geeky” as Bubba ???

Chutz second idea sounds… err… interesting? :D

TG

If you have access to the mac and all the files start at 0.00- like mentioned, just burn the “audio files” folder from the session to a disk and import.
I do this every week, as they are already WAV files. (if the session was mac/pc compatible)

PB

IF… :)

Sorry, SMB is the technical name for the protocol Windows uses to share folders and printers. Too much Samba makes a boy hard to understand.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Sep. 02 2005,15:03)
Sorry, SMB is the technical name for the protocol Windows uses to share folders and printers. Too much Samba makes a boy hard to understand.

Geez Bubba... a computer geek AND a dancing geek? :p

TG :D
Quote (gtr4him @ Sep. 02 2005,15:05)
AND a dancing geek? :p

You already knew that!

Bubba cutting a rug.... in a monkey suit.

Yeah. Just yankin’ your chain!

Psst! Can I borrow that suit?

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Sep. 02 2005,15:30)
**Psst! Can I borrow that suit?**

So you like velvet, eh? :D

Eeet feeeels sooo niiiice ageenst my skeeeen! LOL!

TG