Pro Tools, N-Track Studio & Drumkit From #### 2

Best Way To Do My Drums With This Setup?

Ok, so I just received my MBox 2 Pro Tools setup. As some of you may remember from some of my previous posts, I also purchased Drumkit From #### 2 recently and N-Track Studio is the only decent, reasonably priced software I can find that supports VST instruments and works with DKFH. The sequencer that comes with Pro Tools LE or Reason Adapted 3.01 don’t even support VST instruments and on a side note, I forsee Pro Tools being nothing, but a resource draining, glitchy pain in the a$$ anyway. Very much like DKFH 2 has been so far… :angry:

Anyway, I need to get started on writing my drum parts for my new songs and I guess i’m going to have to go with N-Track Studio and DKFH for my drum parts. I’m just trying to figure out the best approach for getting the drum parts into Pro Tools LE when they’re finished and having the most flexibility with individual drum tracks, etc. I am pretty new to PC based studio recording, so please forgive me if my questions are retarded.

1) Would it be possible/feasible for me to just open up my DKFH kits in N-Track and literally save individual drums as wav files then use Pro Tools LE’s sequencer to arrange my drum patterns with the individual wav files on seperate tracks?

2) I’m assuming there is a way to save my completed drum patterns/songs as one midi file in N-Track that is somehow “pre-mapped” so each drum can be placed on seperate tracks when I open the midi file up in Pro Tools LE? Am I getting warmer?

My main concern is having complete control over individual drums when it comes time to mix/master. I don’t want to end up having only one or two overall drum tracks to mix as a whole.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aedryan

Err… Well, I guess I was way off on question 2 in my last post, because when I save a patterns as a midi file, only the beat information is saved. Not the sounds. So, what about my thoughts I posted in question 1 of my last post? Can anyone put me on the right track here?

- Aedryan

<!–QuoteBegin>

Err… Well, I guess I was way off on question 2 in my last post, because when I save a patterns as a midi file, only the beat information is saved. Not the sounds

That’s all a MIDI file is - just a set of instructions to a MIDI capable device of which notes (etc) to play.

If you render (mixdown) a song with a MIDI file and a VSTi then the resultant wav will contain the MIDI track as you hear it.

Solo just your drum track and you’ll get a wav containing just your drum track.

Mute/solo various drums in DFH (if it is possible) and you should be able to do multiple mixdowns to obtain your separate drum tracks.

HTH

Mark

Thanks Mark! It’s becoming a little bit clearer now. So, what I need to do is write the drum patterns/songs in N-Track and when i’m ready to save my work I need to mute all of the drums except for one (the bass drum for instance) and render that bass drum as an individual wav file then go back and do the same thing for each of the other drums?

If this is the case, then i’m assuming I will need to then render the entire file as a midi file, without muting any of the drums, so all of the beat info will be saved in one file? Or will I even need a midi file since each of the drum parts/wavs files will already play their parts correctly?

So, then I will call up all of the individual wav files in Pro Tools LE? Do I place them on actual individual tracks or or in the sequencer or what? Also, what do I do with the midi file in Pro Tools (if I need it)?

Thanks again for your help, Mark! I think i’m kinda getting the idea…

- Aedryan

<!–QuoteBegin>

Thanks Mark! It’s becoming a little bit clearer now. So, what I need to do is write the drum patterns/songs in N-Track and when i’m ready to save my work I need to mute all of the drums except for one (the bass drum for instance) and render that bass drum as an individual wav file then go back and do the same thing for each of the other drums?

Yep, you got it.

<!–QuoteBegin>
If this is the case, then i’m assuming I will need to then render the entire file as a midi file, without muting any of the drums, so all of the beat info will be saved in one file? Or will I even need a midi file since each of the drum parts/wavs files will already play their parts correctly?

Not quite. You could export the MIDI file from n-Track if you wanted to keep in separate, but the MIDI file is stored within the n-Track sng file. So as long as you store the sng file your MIDI track and DFH will be kept.

<!–QuoteBegin>
So, then I will call up all of the individual wav files in Pro Tools LE? Do I place them on actual individual tracks or or in the sequencer or what? Also, what do I do with the midi file in Pro Tools (if I need it)?

Yes, import the individual wavs as sep tracks in PT LE. You don’t need the MIDI file to be imported into PT.

Have you considered if you can do the whole thing within PT or n-Track?

HTH

Mark

Yep, mixdown each midi drum track (going thru DFH2) into a seperate wav file. Then you can just open your newly created wav files in any sequencer…including nTrack (or Pro Tools). The midi information stays in the nTrack sng file. There is no need to export or use the MIDI information after you’ve mixed-down to wav files.

Just curious, any particular reason you’re using Pro Tools instead of nTrack for you sequencer?

Hey, thanks again, guys. You guys rock! To answer both of your questions, just lastnight I discovered that Pro Tools now has a plugin called “FXpansion VST to RTAS Plug-In Wrapper”, which would allow me to work with DKFH right in Pro Tools. So, right now i’m trying to decide whether to go with that or N-Track. The Pro Tools plugin is about the same price as the N-Track 24 bit registration, but the ONLY thing it will do is allow me to keep DKFH integrated with Pro Tools, where N-Track would be fine for all my drum needs AND give me all the additional great features it has. However, N-Track is MUCH more demanding on resources than the plugin. What do you guys think?

- Aedryan

i came from PT to ntrack and would say if you like the workflow in PT more than in ntrack than stay with it. or if you want to exchange your sessions with other PT-studios it`s nearly a must to stay with PT. if not ntrack does, for me everything that PT LE does. if the next PT update comes you pay MORE than for ntrack!

So far, i’m not very impressed with Pro Tools. I had all kinds of errors during the installation and it’s way too resource intensive and hardware demanding. But, it seems to be the most popular thing going right now and people rave about it, so i’m sure it will be great once I learn it. I’ve got about $500.00 wrapped up in it, so i’m kinda stuck with it anyway. I haven’t worked with it much yet, because i’m in the process of finishing up some work and backing stuff up so I can reformat and upgrade some hardware on my PC, so I can start fresh with Pro Tools and go from there. Wish me luck!

- Aedryan

the digidesign hardware is normally quite good, so you didn`t waste too much money. i had a digi002r and it was VERY unstable. i think if you want PT you have to go with a mac!
but knowing PT is ALWAYS a plus. but it will not take too much time and you will see that the track count is too limited and so on…