Problem after 3to4/16to24 upgrade

Having problems using 24bit in ver 4

HI all,

My very first post here (and a long one) so take it easy on me! :)
I have been using 3.x for some time now in 16 bit and having no problems at all. I have a Tascam US-122, P4-1.8ghz-512mb, XP Pro and I always shut down EVERYTHING (using End-it-All) before I record. Nothing fancy; I record voice over backing tracks and that is about all. All went fine with 3.x and I have been quite happy with the results. Today I paid for the upgrade from 3 to 4.0.5 (build 1846) and now I am stuck…

WHen I set it up for 24 bit, the moment I click on the VUmeter and set the SELECT AUDIO FORMAT to 24 bit I get the following when I close the box:
Error
---------------------------
Error opening wave input device.
Make sure that the sampling frequency and the recording format set in the dialog box that appears clicking on the Setting button on the recording vumeter are supported by the soundcard.
when I close this ERROR box I get:
Error
Error opening wave device.
Make sure that the sampling frequency and the output format set in the dialog box that appears clicking on the Setting button on the playback vumeter are supported by the soundcard.

If you’re using WDM drivers (selected in the Preferences/Wave devices dialog box) make sure that you’re not using the Microsoft MIDI synth (selected in the Preferences/MIDI/MIDI devices dialog box) that inhibits the use of the WDM device that the synth outputs to.
Then when I close THAT box I get I get the first one again (sometime three times each!)

I have the SETTINGS>PREFERENCES> at 44100 or 48000 as the Tascam supports both (and I tried both) then in >AUDIO DEVICES I have tried WDM US122 OUT with WDM US122 A:B, no joy, I tried the ASIO 24 bit drivers-no joy, I tried even the MMEs-no joy. I still get the error messages.
Now the strange thing is that If I shift back to 16 bit then it works fine with the WDM drivers!!!

Now the Tascam supports 16 or 24 bit and 44100 or 48000 and the really strange thing is that If I set N-Track up for 24 bit, close all the darned error messages then go to the TASCAM US122 Control Panel in XPs CONTROL PANEL While N track is still open, the 122 shows either 16 or 24 bit and the correct rate, Whatever is is set in N-Track at that moment!!! But N Track just keeps giving me errors and it just will not record!

Is it me? Am I performing some “stupid computer user trick” here? Did I miss something???

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Doug
PS HOW do you set it to see the input while recording??? I looked and can’r find it!