Problem With Program Stopping

when close to clipping

When singing into a condenser mic the recording stops when it gets close to clipping.

Can anyone tell me how to stop this from happening?

Thanks

James

can you fill us all in on what your set up is? Soundcard, software, all that good stuff?
What color pantyhose on your pop filter?

Serious - we need more info to even make a decent guess. Never heard of this one before.

What happens when you clip a dynamic mic?

‘Taupe’ or ‘Nude’ on mine PW. :laugh:

With digital recording there’s no reason to run a mic so hot as to clip.
But as Poppa said more info on your set-up could shed some light on this. Never heard of this before either.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 15 2009, 8:07 AM)

can you fill us all in on what your set up is? Soundcard, software, all that good stuff?
What color pantyhose on your pop filter?

Serious - we need more info to even make a decent guess. Never heard of this one before.

What happens when you clip a dynamic mic?

I have a Rode N2 going into a Peavy VMP 2 pre-amp and then into an M-Audio Delta 66 interface. (The Delta 66 is old)
The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with 1 Meg memory.
I am running XP.

I am using Version 5.1.1 build 2313.
I have all of the older versions and I would be happy if I could get any of them to work.

This setup works just fine with another recording program called Mixcraft. I get better results from N-Track but I can hardly ever get it to work.

The problems started when advent of ASIO drivers. I used to use WDM drivers but I can't get bit and resolution coordinated with them anymore.

N-Tracks is doing another weird thing also. Sometimes but not all of the time I will play back a track and it will sound like a 33rmp vinyl record being played at 78 rpm. When I close the program and re-open it, the track plays at the correct speed.

I do a lot of recording but I am not very sophisticated.

Thanks

James

Check your driver for the Delta 66, you may need an up dated driver. I had trouble with Version 5 and asio (E-mu card) if up dating the driver doesn’t fix things maybe even try the MME driver.

Looking at their site the last XP driver 5.10.00.5069v3 was released 06/27/2008

Quote: (Yaz @ Mar. 15 2009, 3:55 PM)

Check your driver for the Delta 66, you may need an up dated driver. I had trouble with Version 5 and asio (E-mu card) if up dating the driver doesn't fix things maybe even try the MME driver.

Looking at their site the last XP driver 5.10.00.5069v3 was released 06/27/2008

I have the very latest M-Audio driver.
I would love to use the MME driver.
I am using ASIO because it is the only one I can get to work at all.

James

The only other thing I can think to check is that you’re using the same playback/record driver. Check in audio devices / advanced (nTrack settings) to make sure you’ve selected the same input output driver. Does the Delta 66 MME drivers show up there also?

One other thing to check since it’s a pci card is the IRQ table. Make sure the card is listed on it’s own IRQ and not sharing with another device. Don’t run the windows thing to check, it’ll say no conflicts. But sharing an IRQ with your audio card will cause many strange things to happen. The only fix if the card is sharing is if you have another pci slot open you’ll have to do a virgin re-install of the card.