Problems with Audiophile USB

Problems with Audiophile USB

Hello,

I have an audiophile USB running on the latest version of n-track. Every minute or so the VU meter shows a clip that is off the charts. I record it and it sounds like VERY loud static. It seems to happen when I push stop, or start clicking on any random button. It’s like the mike sensitivty just jumps up all the way. It happens even when the mic or mixer is not plugged. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like the USB stream is being interuppted or something along those lines. Is the Audiophile the ONLY USB peripheral you are using? Go to musicxp.net (if you run xp) and do all the tweaks for audio listed there and see if that helps. Caution: make sure you don’t wack something you need!

HTH,

TG

PS post your system specs too. That is always a big help when trying to debug problems like yours.

I am using only one USB. I’m using a Laptop (HP) running a P4 2.4 512 SDRAM Windows XP. I’ll try out the fixes on that website and see what happens. I’m not having any problems with USB in sound forge or in Vegas, but I prefer to use N-track.

If you are running the ASIO driver, try playing around with the Audiophiles control panel to raise or lower the buffer size. If you are running WDM or MME drivers, the buffer settings can be changed from within n-Track under Preferences. Sometimes higher buffering is needed other times lower buffering is the ticket. Tweak it in nice and good and write everything down somewhere so can set things straight if some of your settings ever get hosed.

TG

Hi swid441. I have the Audiophile USB connected to a laptop, originally a Compaq but now a Toshiba. I read that with USB audio interfaces you should only have the one device connected, no mice, external drives or other USB devices, but I once forgot to disconnect my USB wireless mouse and n-track continued to run fine. It might be worthwhile downloading the latest drivers from M-Audio. I think I remember seeing that some people have reported instability with M-Audio stuff using ASIO drivers. I use WDM and have no problems. I am very pleased with the high quality sound of the Audiophile USB. I hope you get sorted soon.
Cheers