Problems with my n-Track installation

Hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help me … after 3 and a half years of trouble free use of n-Track, suddenly it won’t play ball anymore.

Following a re-install of my OS and everything on the PC back in February, I took the plunge and upgraded to v4, and have been using that quite happily, although to be fair it is probably 2-3 months since I actually had the time to do any recording.

This morning, I had a visit from a friend who wanted some pointers on getting started, beyond just recording a single track, and mixing down to wav and mp3.

Foolishly, I didn’t check everything was working right before he came, as I have never had any problems with it … Ever!

No problem starting n-Track, but when I opened up the last song file I had worked on, it crashed. Big style. Error messages all over the place including one stating that n-Track was unable to start the “banks file” (whatever that is) and another stating that VSTscan had failed. I then had to close n down maually (CTRL+ALT+DEL etc.) in order to get back to the desktop.

I uninstalled n, cleaned the registry of its entries and re-installed. Same problem.

Uninstalled again and reinstalled v3.3 (build 1516) and that was useable, but VSTscan stubbornly refused to work properly (ending in an error every time, leaving me with only DX effects to work with.

Not a problem for today, as v3.3 was sufficient to go through the stuff we needed to go through, but I would very much like to get n working properly again. Anyone else had any similar issues (and if so, how did you sort them?)?

Cheers,
Dave

edit Incidentally, the manual closedown of v4, following the crash always produced a message to the effect that the installation was corrupted and I should try installing again.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Uninstalled again and reinstalled v3.3 (build 1516) and that was useable, but VSTscan stubbornly refused to work properly (ending in an error every time, leaving me with only DX effects to work with.

Not a problem for today, as v3.3 was sufficient to go through the stuff we needed to go through, but I would very much like to get n working properly again. Anyone else had any similar issues (and if so, how did you sort them?)?

Hi Dave,

You most likely have a dodgy, or corrupted vst file. I had a similar experience when I upgraded in V4 and did a fresh scan. What I had to do was to remove all the plugins from my vst directory, and put them back, a handful at a time, until I found the one that was giving problems. Slightly longwinded but worked. There is a vst scan log that may also be helpful. I think it’s in the n-Track program directory. IIRC it appends to it each time it does a scan so it may be better to blank it first.

As for your problem with V4, I re-read your post a couple of times, but I must be a bit slow this morning… what is the actual problem V4 is giving you that V3.3 isn’t?

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip on the VSTs - will check them as you outlined.

To answer your question, the basic problem that v4 is giving that v3 isn’t is as follows:

* when using v3.3 the VSTscan doesn’t work, but the program is useable apart from not being able to access any VST effects.

* when using v4, n crashes completely and is basically totally unuseable as soon as you have anything at all in the song file.

Cheers,
Dave

Eyup!

Dave, try deleting the vstdat.dat file in your n-track studio folder.
When you next open n-track it will re-scan and rebuild the file.
The kind of problem you report has been cured several times using this method.
Also there seems to be an issue with having version 3.x and 4.x installed at the same time.
It’s probably better to install either one or the other, but not both at once.
This does not seem to be a universal problem, some people have both installed and all is fine.

Steve