Problems with Tempos and transpositions

Help!
I can not get the tempo change or the transpostion to work on my ntrack 4.0.5. I have followed the instructions in the manual but it does not work. So I have had to use another tool (Pulsemaster , pianosoft) to transpose the key and then load into ntrack but it is altering the key (there is no rhyme or reason - up/down/your guess is as good as mine what it will transpose the key to - it alters every WAV file I load in!) and spreeds the tracks up. Has anyone come across this themselves?

I hadn’t really used the Transpose feature until just now, but it seems to work for me (build 1845). ??? At first I thought it was supposed to keep the length of the WAV clips and just change the pitch, but according to the manual, it WILL change the length along with pitch. I tried being tricky and changing the Transpose to +2 and keeping the original length, but it didn’t work–the file kept the same length AND pitch, i.e., it sounded the same as the original.

If you were interested in changing the pitch while keeping the length of the original WAV clip, you might try experimenting with the n-Track Pitch Shift plugin if you haven’t already.

As far as n-Track randomly altering the key of the imported WAV files, that’s weird–I haven’t seen that myself, either. The only thing remotely close to it that I can think of is a sampling rate mismatch, but that would be predictable, and you’d get a warning from n-Track, so I figure that’s not the problem.

Tony

Try using a wave editor like Audacity (free), Wavelabs, CoolEdit96 (free), and I think r8brain (free) can do this too – maybe you need the $ version. Keep in mind that it will create noticeable artifacts in the wave file, and the more complex the contents the worse the results will be. The best results are for single, simple instruments like bass tracks. The worst results are usually for full mixes.

Any of these programs can pitch shift without changing the tempo, and vice versa. But this is a very nontrivial mathematical algorithm (thus the artifacts). Actually, it’s probably fairly simple to write on paper as a math formula using Forier transform notation, but hard to code well – round-off errors cause problems.

I’ve used CoolEdit96 and had reasonable results. Audacity’s results, the one time I tried it for this purpose, were horrible. (Too bad, because otherwise it’s a good program.) If r8brain does this, it would be the best bet, since it’s the best free/cheap frequency resampler I know of.

I Use CoolEdit2000 for that and so far have not noticed any audible degradation in quality at all… CoolEdit96 works, but if you’re using 24bit wavs (like me!) you will need 2000…