progressive SAVE file names?

Does n-track-7 have a handy (automatic) way to SAVE AS with progressive numbers, so I could go back to a previous SAVE file if I needed to?

Example: BIG SONG 01, 02, 03 etc
or
BIG SONG 1_1, 1_2 etc

Nothing automatic except the Save As will show the name of the current file name - pretty easy to add number

yes, that is. OK

When saving a .sng file, it is recommended that you set up all of your files for that song before you record. In other words, this is what I do: (1) I click “New Folder” and name the folder with the song name. If I don’t have a song name yet, I give it the name of the date that I’m working with the file, i.e. 6.26.13. Once I’ve named the folder, I click the folder, and (2) name the .sng, i.e. 6.26.13.sng. Now I’m ready to record. If you record first, and then try to save your file as “save as”, your tracks will end up with names like New_Song_1L, New_Song_1R, etc. they will show up in the file that you put them, but then, every song you do this with will end up with New_Song_1L, New_Song_1R. Say you record a version of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” with 2 tracks for drums, 1 for bass, 2 for guitars, 2 for vocals; if you didn’t save your folders and file name first, but recorded first then saved, in your file system it will look like this:

Jumpin’ Jack Flash.sng
New_Song_1L
New_Song_1R
New_Song_2L
New_Song_2R
and so on…

For one song file, this may not seem like a big deal, but you go adding more and more song files that have tracks named New_Song_1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, you may run into a problem.

I found this out the hard way. I was recording a sizeable project for these two ladies and in the interim a virus got into my computer and totally scrambled all of the the song files. It took about 2 weeks for me to sift through them all and figure out which file went with which song. Had I done what I have shared with you first, the virus would not have been able to scramble them; or had it, it would have been much easier to unscramble them.

So, if you save first and then record, your files will look like this:

Jumpin’ Jack Flash.sng
Jumpin’ Jack Flash_1L
Jumpin’ Jack Flash_1R
Jumpin’ Jack Flash_2L
Jumpin’ Jack Flash_2R
and so on…

Much easier to keep up with. And then, if you want to rename the tracks to what they are: Drums_L, Drums_R, Bass, Guitar_1, Guitar_2, it’s a simple process from there; just click on the name of the track on the track and click “rename track” and rename the track from the last /. You’ll figure it out.

So, in a nut shell, you may want to set it up this way:

Band Name Folder >
Project Folder (Name of CD) >
Song Folder >
Song Name

Also, once you have figured out what plugins you will use for mix down in the Master mixer, you can create a template with, say, 8 tracks with the plugins already set up in the Master mixer, and save it as Template.sng. Then, when you want to do a project, open up your template, figure out where you want to store your project, do a “save as” and then rename it to whatever the project name is in the file you have designated for it. And while you’re setting up the template, go ahead and name the tracks with the instrument names you plan on using: Drums L, Drums R, Bass, Guitar 1, Guitar 2, Keyboards, Lead Vocals, BG Vocal 1, BG Vocal 2, etc. and save it.

One last word of wisdom, save and save often; I hope you don’t have to learn this the hard way.

Got it? :agree:

Icmemusic,
thank you!