Protecting your songs

I’m starting to think i’m not doing enough to cover my own songs now ???

anyhoozle…none of that matters right now…Pops is back :;):

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 28 2010, 6:21 AM)

Can i ask what the bad experience
was?

Two experiences.

One, inconsequential, actually had nothing to do with songs but rather television. I whine about it at length in My Blog

The other happened years ago. A European band covered a song my partner and I wrote - with permission, they were very nice about it. But when the song came out they listed themselves as composer. Nothing we could do about it unless we were willing to spend more on lawyers, etc. than the song could possibly earn.

They gambled and won.
Quote: (BillClarke @ Oct. 29 2010, 6:28 AM)

[The other happened years ago. A European band covered a song my partner and I wrote - with permission, they were very nice about it. But when the song came out they listed themselves as composer. Nothing we could do about it unless we were willing to spend more on lawyers, etc. than the song could possibly earn.

That is so nasty & unforgivable. i hope they toured Canada so you could at least throw something at them!

Tina
Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 29 2010, 2:47 PM)

That is so nasty & unforgivable. i hope they toured Canada so you could at least throw something at them!

Nah - I've forgiven them (holding a grudge is like taking poison in hopes that the other person will die) as I am sure it was a decision made at the management level (their management or the label's management).

They were just a band doing what they had to do as they chased the dream. Understandable really.

Mind you, I would likely be less generous if the song had hit or otherwise gone big (it didn't). I am only so evolved.
Quote: (BillClarke @ Oct. 29 2010, 6:22 PM)

Nah - I've forgiven them (holding a grudge is like taking poison in hopes that the other person will die) .

that is really profound i've not heard that before. I will remember it
:agree: