Proximity of Mic question

Input level never very high

I’ve use NTrack to do some very simple recording but have what amounts to a newbie question.

I have trouble with the mic in terms of (excuse my terminology) input level and how it relates to the proximity of the Mic.

Unless I’m RIGHT ON TOP of the Mic, the mic doesn’t pick up sound. Not really a problem for voice, but if i was trying to pick up Guitar or other instruments, unless the mic was right on them, it would barely pick them up.

I have a UB1202 mixer that I use to adjust the sound, but it only helps a little. It seems that I really have to keep mics close and pump up the input levels to get any sound.

I apologize for the newbie nature of this, but I’m just trying to learn about this…

Sounds like you might have an impedence matching problem. What mic do you have and are you connecting it to the line-in jack or XLR on your mixer?

Not sure of the Mic…
but it’s to the XLR input.

Is it a dynamic mic? IOW, do you have to supply the phantom power from the board for the mic to work?

Phantom power, no.
But Same kind of result. the ub1202 does have phantom power available.

I’ve tried pulling the mic from the ub1202 and plugging straight into sound card. same result.

Ok, well in that case if difficult to answer accurately but if it’s a cheapish dynamic mic it’s probably a high impedence mic (Hi-Z for short). The XLR input is Lo-Z.

If you can’t check the spec of the mic you can try connecting it to the jack input on your mixer (Hi-Z input). You’ll probably need a different cable though.

HTH

Mark

Oh definitely cheap …

The mic itself has an XLR connection but I do have an XLR to 1/4" cable. (I’m using XLR/XLR usually).
i could try using that and plugging into the board via the 1/4 jack…

Another thought… perhaps the mic is cream-crackered, or the cable is faulty?

Quote (jtswearingen @ July 26 2006,22:29)
Oh definitely cheap ...

The mic itself has an XLR connection but I do have an XLR to 1/4" cable. (I'm using XLR/XLR usually).
i could try using that and plugging into the board via the 1/4 jack..

Yes. Give that a go.

Then, as XonXoff said, it could be either an impedence issue, or the mic just won’t allow for anything other than a close-up sound source.

Personally, I’d look at getting a different mic if your budget will allow.

Hi,Can you get a decent reading on the meters on your mixer? This should tell you something useful.

Nick

You can get a decent mike (SM58 knock-off) for as low as $30. I’d recommend that over an unbalanced hi-z mike.

I looked last night, The mic is a NADY Systems Starpower mic but not sure of model number.