Punch in/out

Ntrack 4 latest build.

When using the auto punch in/out feature it works great fixed some vocal parts that were flat, mixed the song down etc. All worked great.

About 5 hours later when back to the studio to re-mix some things, and the punch in was gone from the track. The wav file is still on the HDD but NT won’t import it for any ammount of cursing. I can play it fine using Winamp.

Any ideas? Also is the punch in / out feature not recomended to use? Is there a better way to fix one (or more) parts of a track?

I am still using V3.3. When I want to fix something I just start a new track and resing or replay the part. Then I either use a WAV editor to cut out the bad part or a volume envelope to mute that bad part.

I am also using V3.3 and I use the punch in-out frequently and I have not had any problems.

do you have an external wave editor? ie cool edit or something you can open, resave it with?

I was able to rename it and import the wav file and manually lined it back up so all was not lost. Thanks guys.

Quote (T1ny @ Nov. 07 2004,03:12)
Also is the punch in / out feature not recomended to use? Is there a better way to fix one (or more) parts of a track?

I never use the punch in/out feature.
There is no need to on a PC based system.
If you are using a tape based system then you are limited to a certain number of tracks and punching in/out or bouncing is necessary to conserve tracks.
On a PC based DAW this limtiation does not exist.

It is much easier, efficient and more powerful to simply silence (non destructively) the section you want to redo and then re-record the part on a separate track.

This is better for a number of reasons:
1. You can start playing/recording as far ahead as you want. This will possibly mean you get the feel right/better and also allow you to pick exactly the point you wish to cut over from one wav file to another

2. You can record as many takes as you want and keep them all (or the ones that aren't completely crap) and then listen back to them and pick the one you think is best. If you punchin/out and you want to redo it, it keeps overwriting the part and you only keep the last one.

3. If after a number of passes you still haven't nailed it you may be able to comp the section together from a number of the takes you have done and having them all on separate tracks lets you easily audition and then draw volume envelopes to comp together the perfect part!

4. Sometimes when doing multiple takes I have ended up using 2 or 3 takes and played them back simultaneously to create a chorus type effect and give a bigger feel. Wasn't planned but you just stumble across something that sounds good.
Sometimes it is the same thing played/sung in unison, but sometimes the timeing/phrasing is slightly different and it breathes a whole new life into that section. Without having all takes on separate traks I would never have happened upon these accidental discoveries.

I honestly do not know of 1 good reason to use the punch in/out feature....

That's my 2c anyway...

Rich

Rich: Some good tips and advice to consider.

I have to echo Rich’s advice.

Punch-ins were essential when you only had 4 track, but with a PC based system, why bother?

Record everything, and keep everything.

Who knows, the take that sounded crap yesterday may turn out to be the perfect fit tomorrow. :)

Ali