Punch in settings dialogue

where did it go?

In v5 the Punch in Settings option on the Settings menu does nothing. I’m used to seeing more parameters than the toolbar icons provide. In particular I miss the Add All Takes When Finished option.

The settings icon on the toolbar gives me the choices: Multiple takes; Add takes to new tracks; Start playback 5 seconds before recording.

I’ve reinstalled the program a couple of times. I’ve tried the revert to default settings trick. If it makes any difference I’m using an M-Audio 24/96 sound card with the WDM drivers.

Is this a change from previous versions?

That menu option produces no results for me anymore either. Perhaps a bug…

insert any track into N -

put timeline where you want to start punch in to start from -
copy (type in) SMPTE timecode from box next to transport controls into LEFT hand display next to puncn in icons -
move timeline to end position of punch in - copy (type in) SMPTE timecode from SMPTE timecode box next to transport controls into RIGHT hand display next to puncn in icons -

make sure track is correctly armed for recording (record button is red) or something silly may happen -

set timeline before start position - click on first (left of the three) punch in icon - ignore warning just press OK - selected area for punch in will be highlighted, timeline will run, recording will start where you asked it to and will stop where you told it to -

punch in does not alter original track punch in section is seperate and can be moved anywhere -

whwn typing the SMPTE timecode into the two displays you MUST REMEMBER TO INSERT THE DOTS between the timecode sections -

Dr J

OK, this is not what Willie wants to know, but why bother with punch ins at all?
Do a bunch of takes to a similar bunch of new tracks, then copy & paste to taste.
I don’t geddit…

Okay, what’s the method if the song is 21/2 minutes long and you want to punch in 15 second leads which you want to loop repeatedly until you get the lead right applying each lead to a new track while muting the previously recorded tracks?
Hmmmmm?

All things “Punch” should be on the tool bar shown…

HTH,

D

EDIT: This is V5 Build 2201

Unfortunately, “all things punch” ain’t what it used to be. The behavior has totally changed from Ver3.x. Recording multiple tracks now takes place in the timeline whereas before they accumulated and popped up when you stopped recording so you could select the tracks you wanted. Now, the parts accumulate on different parts of the timeline nowhere near the punch in location. The pre-existing “punched” tracks don’t mute when you record subsequent attempts and you can no longer control the length of lead in time prior to the punch. And when you try and access the punch in settings from the menu nothing happens.

Something that worked perfectly well in Ver 3 is now, for all practical purposes, useless. For a struggling, technique challenged, perfectionist such as myself, this is something that may force me to look at another piece of software for my recording needs. And I have been using N-tracks happily for 6 years.

Ah… sorry ledg. I’ve never used “punch” so I’m pretty clueless about the operation either now or in past versions. I just back up and punt or lay down a bunch of tracks and comp 'em together.

I tried…

D

I think Flavio is working hard on this thing. Usually he replies my question quickly. But on punch in thing, I never got a reply. So I guess he is also having a problem fixing it. But I’m sure he’ll get a hold of it soon.

In my humble opinion, all the commands and features in a program, not matter how useful or useless, should work as they’re supposed to.

John, why don’t we give a little chance to Flavio. He’s been so great providing us with this wonderful program, after all.

Francis

Quote (ledg @ Jan. 15 2007,15:22)
Unfortunately, “all things punch” ain’t what it used to be. The behavior has totally changed from Ver3.x. Recording multiple tracks now takes place in the timeline whereas before they accumulated and popped up when you stopped recording so you could select the tracks you wanted. Now, the parts accumulate on different parts of the timeline nowhere near the punch in location. The pre-existing “punched” tracks don’t mute when you record subsequent attempts and you can no longer control the length of lead in time prior to the punch. And when you try and access the punch in settings from the menu nothing happens.

Something that worked perfectly well in Ver 3 is now, for all practical purposes, useless. For a struggling, technique challenged, perfectionist such as myself, this is something that may force me to look at another piece of software for my recording needs. And I have been using N-tracks happily for 6 years.

I was able to reproduce a problem with multiple takes punch-in recording by which the takes beyond the first ended up shifted to the right by approximately the length of the punch interval.
The problem should be fixed in the next build of the program.

As to the other things you mentioned, the behavior has indeed changed from version 3.x but most if not all of the functionality is still there.
The punchin settings dialog box no longer exists, all the settings can be adjusted in the punchin toolbar.
The ‘lead in time’ can be adjusted by selecting the ‘Start playback x seconds…’ option in the dropdown menu. An edit box will appear and it will let you adjust the number of lead in time (in seconds).
When ‘multiple takes’ is selected and ‘Add takes to new tracks’ is not, each new take gets stored in its own ‘layer’ inside the punched track. Once the recording is finished you can switch between the layers right-clicking on the track and selecting the take from the ‘Alternate takes’ popup sub-menu.

I did forgot to update the online help to reflect the new settings, and it does indeed still refer to the punchin settings dialog box. I will update the help in the next build.

Flavio.

Thanks so much Flavio for the info. I see now how to accomplish in 5 what I was doing before in version 3. Keep up the your good work on your great product.

Now the new build is “UP!!!” stating that punch in thing is fixed. Even though I haven’t tried it yet, It is a great news for those of us that find the feature very useful. So cheers!

I vowed to myself not to install any new build until the version history says it’s fixed. So I can install new build now. It’s just a pesonal commitment to myself. :cool:

Francis