q for you amp experts

So, what is going on with this, anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-s-…71ea78f

Well… I wouldn’t consider myself an “expert” in anything but I do know that (IMO) those old things sounded horrible. Personally, unless I needed some part to restore a name brand, quality amp of that era, I wouldn’t take the thing if it was free and they paid shipping. That’s me though… don’t have the time or space to play junk dealer.

UJ

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 09 2011, 4:51 PM)

Well... I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" in anything but I do know that (IMO) those old things sounded horrible. Personally, unless I needed some part to restore a name brand, quality amp of that era, I wouldn't take the thing if it was free and they paid shipping. That's me though... don't have the time or space to play junk dealer.

UJ

How dare you sir! That's fighting talk. Dontchaknow that anything with tubes in made before the 80's is instantly better than anything else. Oh yea. Sound doesn't come in to it. If you ain't hearing it as "better" that's because you can't see the emperor's new clothes.

Just like anything with the word "analog(ue)" is also inherently better. And that is true. Oh yea.

Hi Gents:

I had to post this link…
It’ll be interesting how much this amp goes for, after the dust has settled…

Black Face’d BassMan Amp…

There are fewer-and-fewer out-and-about…

He’s not showing the cabinet’s appearance…,
Must be something not right about it’s look…
NO
NO… I see it now…
Great shape…
Looks good…

He’s hoping that the heavyweight bidders are gonna have a go at one-another…

It reminds me of a few years back… I was looking for an Acrosound Output transformer…
One came up…
I put in a bid of 100.00 for it knowing It would go for about 150.00…
When the bid was over it sold for 1050.00…

How’s a guy from Bluenose Land gonna pay that kinda cash for a hunk of iron ????

We can’t even get our lobsters to market over here…
The roads are all washed out…
You guys are keeping all your cold weather-and-snow to yourselves…
:)
:p
:laugh:

What a Way-to-Go…

Bill…

That amp design (on your E-Bay link) is known as an AC-DC design amp…
No Power Transformer…
This amp would make a perfect Harp Amp…
They make about 1.5 - 2 watts…
They “Sing” in the mid Frequencies…
Their Power Supply Design leaves little reserve current for sustained signal reproduction…
Therefore much primary-and-harmonic note distortion… Much like your parent’s old kitchen radio, back in the days of tubes…

If you’re old enough to remember, there was always that AM Kitchen Radio up on the shelf that was always on… Always on, because if you turned it off, you might not get it to come back on…
No FM Radio in those days…
Bill Haley and the Comets, was all that got on the Play List… When the news came on we all had to be quiet, while the news and weather came on… Hey, we’re talkin 1954 - 1956 '57…
We’re talkin Fender Tweed Deluxe Amps…
Volume-and-Tone… with Jensen 12" speakers… Gretch, Gibson and Fender Guitars…

None of this “Sounds Like” Stuff…

:disagree:
:p
:laugh:
Geeeeezeeee…
I sound soo OlD…
I used to listen at it with my crystal radio set, that I made…
No Batteries to go dead…
lol… hehe…

Then Owen Bradley recording Harlin Howard songs from RCA Studio B, in Nashville came on the scene…
This was even before MoTown…
hehe
I think Sunn Records was older than Studio B…
Mabey, around the same time frame…
????

Believe it-or-not…
All of this stuff was recorded to a piece of 1/4" tape on a Tape Machine known as a Magnacord PT-6 Tape Deck… At 15 IPS the record time was only 15 minutes with a 7" reel of 1.5 mil. tape…
No 10.5" reels of tape, back then… In it’s day, it was THE Tape Deck till the Ampex 440 Series Machine came in…
Maybe, two mics, One Take till it sounded right…

I have that Tape Deck (the Magnacord PT-6 Deck)… Made by 3M Tape/Electronics, in Minnesota…
Still in working order…

Bill…

Bill, I had the old tube kitchen radio in my bedroom, when my mom discarded it and got a solid state one, and I used to listen to CKLW in the morning on it before school. :agree:

UJ, no way I was going to bid on the amp, I was just curious about its history. I was sort of wondering if the amp pictured was actually one of those silvertone “in the case” amps. One of my friends has one and uses it for harmonica, although I think it sound fairly ratty.

Some of those old amps sound GREAT, but there’s no volume for any sort of live type use when set up for sound. Best trick is isolate it and send that to something else for support. This isn’t the same as using it for a preamp, but it is the same as using an isolation speaker cabinet. Down side is that they are incredibly flaky and sound specific. Get one that sounds good and you are set, if you can keep it from burning out. Many sound like crap.

I loved playing with those crystal radios. Mine wouldn’t work unless I clipped it to the downspout from the gutter. I could get two channels then. Fortunately, one was the local top 20 station…way before top 40, but a bit after top 10. That would be early 60’s.

My first experience with electronics was taking those old tube radios apart to see what else I could do with them. I made a ‘special speaker’ with one. I attached the output to a small electric motor. I found that it would vibrate with the sound instead of rotate like it should - AC into a DC motor - DUH. After a little experimentation I found that I could use it to turn my desktop into a speaker. It ended up being a sort if subwoofer kind of thing. With two radios I could have one playing ‘full range’ and the other vibrating the desk. It was a pretty neat invention for me at the time, being about 10 at the time.

Bruce Timmons, a guitar player from Cape Breton used a Blackface’d Fender Deluxe Reverb Amp just up until recently…
However, the amp doesn’t have enough balls for a live stage application…,
It works magic in a studio/tracking application…
NOT on a stage…
Mics are not the answer, in a Live Application…
He now uses a Fender Tweed HotRod Amp, on the stage…

Bill…