Q: Two SB Live cards? it is possible?

Two Sound Cards

I have two SB Live! cards that I’d like to get working under Windows XP. However, the OS crashes each time I try. I’ve tried different IRQ’s in the BIOS but no luck.

Maybe there’s some secret that someone could share that would allow these two cards to exists in harmony?

Thanks,
beforum

System:
Abit VP6, 1 Ghz Pentium, 512MB

You could try the unsupported 3rd-party KX Project drivers (google to find them) but Creative flatly states that 2 Creative cards will NOT work in one PC. It’s the way they write their drivers.

beforum,

ooohhh! My favorite subject!

I have 2 SBLives and 1 Audigy in the same computer. The deal is, you have to uninstall the Creative Drivers and install the kX drivers.

Then you hook one SBLive to the other one with an SPDIF cable and you have 2 Stereo (4 Mono) inputs.

Start here

http://www.come.to/sblive

kX forums here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=67

Before using the kX drivers, I tried 2 SBlives in the same 'puter with the Creative software-It never worked.

I am using Win XP. I used Win 98SE until a couple of months ago. When I formatted my hard drive and started installing XP, the computer would lock up when it tried to recognize the 3 sound cards. I took all three out and the installation went fine from then on. After that I installed one first and then uninstalled the soundblaster drivers that XP installs by default then installed kX. Finally I added the last 2 cards which kX automatically found.

Regards,
Doug

Doug W you ROCK!!! I’m working on it now.

Thanks a ton. I’ll let you know how my progress goes.

So you were able to record 4 tracks simultaneously? That’s my goal.

Thanks again.

Well with the 3 cards, I can record 6 inputs simultaneously which works out well our 3 person band.

IMPORTANT!!!

Check out the Stickies in the kX general forum-especially

"kX Getting Started Guide"

There are some small details in there. If you ignore these details, things won’t work.

Doug W,

I got one card to work. And I am able to receive a signal through the line in.

I haven’t had any luck with the second card. I connected the two cards with the “CD SPDIF”. I’m not sure how to configure the kX drivers to use the SPDIF as a connection between the two cards.

Are there any links on the kX site for connecting two cards?

thx.

I got it. the kX software has some getting used to. I didn’t notice before that in the kX mixer on the lower right hand corner is where you select the card. Once I clicked on it it dropped down and I selected the other card.

Thanks again.

BTW:
have you had any issues with latency?

Not quite the same, but would a SBLive Card and an Audiophile 24/96 card both work on the same computer? Want the audiophile for recording, and the SBLive card for watching movies

Good post, Doug. That one should go in the archives! (There should BE some archives!)

What’s the limit on the number of SBLive cards? Could you get 8 channels using 4 cards, and 10 using 5?

Quote (Dyers @ Oct. 31 2004,17:09)
Not quite the same, but would a SBLive Card and an Audiophile 24/96 card both work on the same computer? Want the audiophile for recording, and the SBLive card for watching movies

I've had these two cards installed and working on my PC under Windows 2K and Linux without problems, even through a motherboard/CPU upgrade. I haven't tried recording from both simultaneously; the most I've done is use one for recording and the other for playback before I got a little amp for the 2496 outputs, but now I pretty much do everything with the 2496. I'm not sure yet why I'm keeping the SBLive in there, but it'll probably occur to me after I take it out and give it away.

Tony

Doug W,

I thought I was safe. I got all four channels working nice and clear.

However I can’t hear anything through the headphones in n-track.
I can playback a recorded sample and hear it just fine. But I cannot hear a microphone test. I do see the VU meter moving and I do record myself saying, “test”. But I cannot hear myself say it.

Any ideas?

beforum

<!–QuoteBegin>

have you had any issues with latency?

Not really. I have an older system, PIII 800 Mhz CPU. We record almost everything dry and use almost no MIDI so latency doesn’t seem to be an issue.

learjeff,

<!–QuoteBegin>
What’s the limit on the number of SBLive cards? Could you get 8 channels using 4 cards, and 10 using 5?

Someone from this forum, a while back, had posted a Microsoft link Explaining the limits on the number of Sound devices windows can recognize. A couple weeks later I went looking for that post to quote it somewhere else and that turned out to be the last time the forum was attacked and so that post is lost. If anyone has that link please jump in here with it.

I sorta think that after 3 physical sound cards, there is a problem. Do NOT quote me on this!

However, just to confuse the issue-I said earlier that I can get 6 Mono inputs with my 3 cards, but in reality with any Audigy (Emu10k2 based chip card), there are 2 AC97 Codecs on each sound card, so with a little extra wiring and some command line magic you can get 2 inputs from each Audigy card. So I can really get 8 Mono inputs.

With 2 Audigy cards alone-8 inputs
3 Audigy cards-12 inputs

—Disclaimer—

None of this information came from my own tiny little brain. The 2 inputs from 1 audigy card is an idea from dj_stick. Here is a thread where he explains it. I am the guy in the thread who keeps saying "HUH?"

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthr…1&pp=15

There are a lot of other combinations of Live Cards / Live drives / little homemade electronic gizmos to get more inputs out of each card, but I am getting confused just thinking about them.

Keep thinking that I will get the whole kX / nTrack / multiple sound card thing in a spiffy Webpage, but I am a true HTML novice so I just posted some text files up here explaining how to hook 2 sound cards together with Win 98SE / nTrack / kX drivers.

http://www.usfamily.net/web/4stories/Images/KX-NTRACK-2SCS/

beforum,

Try switching your headphones to the rear (black) output on the card instead of the front (green) one.

[QUOTE]
Try switching your headphones to the rear (black) output on the card instead of the front (green) one.

I am using the black output. I have tried both green and black. But what concerns me is that I don’t see any VU signal output. I don’t hear anything “live”. I have also tried selecting all of outputs channels to monitor any signal. Nothing.

I do hear the output on a played back wave file either from n-track or any other program.

Any other ideas.

Quote (Scantee @ Nov. 01 2004,13:14)
Quote (Dyers @ Oct. 31 2004,17:09)

I've had these two cards installed and working on my PC under Windows 2K and Linux without problems, even through a motherboard/CPU upgrade. I haven't tried recording from both simultaneously; the most I've done is use one for recording and the other for playback before I got a little amp for the 2496 outputs, but now I pretty much do everything with the 2496. I'm not sure yet why I'm keeping the SBLive in there, but it'll probably occur to me after I take it out and give it away.

Tony

Yeah I was wanting the SBLive still cuz its surround sound and still good for when I'm watching movies in bed or when I'm playing computer games lol

beforum,

Check out the Getting Started Guide
http://kb.kxproject.lugosoft.com/guide/index.html

Especially read these 2 subjects

"How to Set up the Microphone"
"How to Record Audio in an ASIO Host"

Even if you are using “Line In”, just make the necessary changes for Line In slider instead of Mic.

Most likely, you don’t have your AC97 sliders enabled in all the kX mixers.

Also, Right Click your kX Manager down in the Taskbar

Select Setting->Asio Control Panel->Make sure that the card that is receiving the SPDIF IN signal is selected.

------EDIT--------

Also check your SPDIF connection in the HOST Card

Right click KX Manager->Settings->SPDIF/I2S Status (I/O status in older versions)

It will look similar to this if it is working

SPDIF Inputs
spdif A: 2109204 Freq: 47991; R; S;
spdif B: unused
spdif C: unused or same as B
[R-Rate Locked; S-Stream Locked; V-Valid Audio]
I2S Inputs
0: 0 1: 0 2: 0

Switch to your SEND card and check the same thing, it should look something like this

SPDIF Inputs
spdif A: unused
spdif B: unused
spdif C: unused or same as B
[R-Rate Locked; S-Stream Locked; V-Valid Audio]
I2S Inputs
0: 0 1: 0 2: 0
SPDIF Outputs
0: 2109204 1: 2109204 2: 2109204 (@48000 Hz)