Questions about n-track

Some questions

Hello Folks:

Until yesterday I have always used Cakewalk software. However…I got windows 7 and now my current version of their software does not work. They want $200 to upgrade something that I just picked up 9 months ago. Seems everyone is turning into the Microsoft money grubbing machine these days.

So I come accross n-track in my quest to replace Cakewalk. It seems to have great reviews by its users and I am told it is pretty easy to deal with. Now!! For my needs it seems to be right up my alley. I am not a midi wiz, nor am I a recording engineer. I have keyboards (among many other instruments) but I just run them into the digital in. I am more concerned with composition and playing my instruments than all of the technical mumbo Jumbo.
I have down loaded the demo. I am already having some issues with buffereing. For the life of me I cannot figure out the buffering in this thing. I am running the Creative SB X-FI sound card that ran great with cakewalk but that this software seems to hate. All kinds of lag in my recording playback time and disaster when I change it even a little.
I imagine that I will get past that once I understand how everything works. But!! I am not convinced that this software is what I want. So I have a few questions for you guys.

Since this purchase is all on line, is the tech support there and is it good?
Do they really let you update for free (unlike Cakewalk)?
Can I eventually make quality
recordings?
Is this buffering thing going to be an issue? It was pretty easy to deal with on the Cakewalk software but this program has a lot of numbers and adjustments.
And is this software Windows7 friendly??

I would post my myspace and soundclick links but I don’t know if that is appropriate here.
Some forums label that stuff spam and look down upon it.

Hope to hear back from some of you and if I can get this demo version up and running I’ll join the forums and get the full package.

Mark

Hi, Mark. Hang in there. The in-house wizards will waken and have you up and running in no time.
Firstly. I’d be seriously pigged-off with that Cackwart scenario - have you appealed to them directly?
Which SB X-FI model:- XtremeMusic, Platinum, Fatal1ty FPS or Elite Pro?
Are you adjusting the buffer settings with tracks that you have already recorded?

Yes I contacted Cakewalk directly via phone and email. When a new version comes out they stop phone support on te previous version so you have to apply by email. The big issue that i am having is the customer loyalty thing. I would not mind paying something for the upgrade but to pay the same price that I paid for the initial software is absurd to say the least. I cannot tell you how really Pi$$ed at them I am at this time. Over $200 dollars for their software and this is what I get. I’m telling you…all they wanted to do was sell me more software when I went to them.
Before I go beating up on them too bad I have to say that the recording software was great. It got me a lot of really good demo and professional material. Since I never used the midi and the really techniclal stuff I always felt that I actually had a much more powerful recording tool than I ever needed.

I have the Fatal1ty by the way.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=985104&content=music

http://www.myspace.com/markwilliammusic

Thanks TonyR

PS: Like your material by the way. You see…that stuff is the perfect example of what I don’t know how to do.

Quote: (zimmerdylan @ May 17 2010, 11:55 PM)

t.

Hope to hear back from some of you and if I can get this demo version up and running I'll join the forums and get the full package.

Mark

Since this purchase is all on line, is the tech support there and is it good?

this is a software that is in constant development, so the support is real hands on, in other terms the designer will actually take your error reports, system specs and try to re-create them, then he works out the bug out of the software himself, then from what I gather the he updates the latest "build" with the modifications.

You also have a pretty descent community here with people who have been using the software for years and seen it through all the OS advancements so there is a lot of experience to draw from as far as possible soundcard/PC conflicts go.
over the years the software provider (flav) has been very helpful, for me mostly for the registration code I had a tendency to loose.

Do they really let you update for free (unlike Cakewalk)?

There are certain upgrades that are free, depending on what versions you purchase.
I have been here since 2.3 so I was not able to upgrade to 6.0 for free but there were a lot of advancements to the program over those years (from 16bit to 24 and beyond) anyway my upgrade was like $35 so it's not like it killed me, that was over a period of 10 years......so not too bad.

I think the cut off was 5.1 so if you purchased that version a few years ago you could have upgraded to 6 for free.

Can I eventually make quality
recordings?

Many users here have, you could go into the music section and here them.
I use this program with an ONYX 1620 and record 16 tracks at the same time without issue, it's pretty solid provided your system and drivers are.

Is this buffering thing going to be an issue?

I think we all go through that at the beginning, it has been so many years since I have had a problem it seems once you get the right setting you don't have to worry about it.
It is true it is not the same as the Cakewalk settings, this one allows users to tweak it to their personal needs.
And is this software Windows7 friendly??

That I could not tell you from personal experience, there were so many horror stores with Vista and my interface hardware I stayed with XP, but from what I hear from the few people here who use 7 it works with the drivers.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Hi Mark,

what problems did you have with buffering? When using Asio drivers the buffering should be taken care of by the driver.
I think Creative soundcards have lag problems at some sampling frequencies, try setting 48000 hz or higher in the Recording Settings page.

StringMan

Good post stingman,

I did mean to mention something about that ASIO4ALL :agree: it is the way to go.

I was also going to mention not to use the “latest” build but a few builds back to the one that is tried and true to be stable…I think it would be a better representation of what you could expect from long term use.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Yep, if the card doesn’t have its own Asio drivers Asio4all is a pretty useful tool: http://www.asio4all.com

StringMan

Quote: (StringMan @ May 18 2010, 9:52 AM)

Yep, if the card doesn't have its own Asio drivers Asio4all is a pretty useful tool: http://www.asio4all.com

StringMan

The ASIO4ALL I do believe has some issues with the X-FI brand of sound cards. From my own experience I did buy a X-FI card and I had no end of problems, not with n-track but with the creative drivers. From track bleeding to lag issues to ASIO so screwed up it's a wonder they even promote it. However, I did try the ASIO4ALL with it but some issues present in the creative drivers is also present with the ASIO4ALL. Now my understanding is the chap that made ASIO4ALL passed away but there are some people who are still working on it. I don't, haven't checked recently to see if support for windows 7 and the X-FI cards and the issues with ASIO4ALL have been resolved. I can tell you that the X-FI will not work correctly with the creative drivers at all. The only solution I can offer is try to find an Audigy, anyone of these creative cards will run excellent, for the most part, with ASIO4ALL drivers. This is the card I use and I've made 3 albums with n-track. I also use the Line6 UX2 which also has good driver with no track bleeding.

As a side note: Even the Creative Audigy drivers suffer track bleeding and a screwed up ASIO, fortunately the card will run without difficulty with the ASIO4ALL drivers. Any Audigy sound card + ASIO4ALL, (except the laptop external or USB, although there are some exotic procedures, in some forum posts on the subject at ASIO4AAL's website which might get it working), is a good combination. This information is based on a WIN XP PRO SP3. As for Windows 7, let us know how it goes.

Update: I just went over and had a look at the ASIO4ALL site, looks like there has been some updates for Windows 7 and it was last updated Dec 2009.

A few suggestions if all else fails: X-FI/Win7, do not install any creative drivers at all, use driver sweeper if you have to to get rid of all creative driver remnants including console, everything, like it wasn't ever there, reboot without the card and no drivers left over. Then re-install the X-FI card and let windows install it's own drivers. Then install ASIO4All.

PACO

Hi Mark,
We have a lot of pickers here it’s nice to see some keys!

Pls be aware that over the past decade most of the regulars have given up answering the very basic buffer issue type questions over and over.
BUT this forums search tool works very well, so log in and do a search, you get the very same guys answering most questions there.

Yes please post your links and songs.
We would love to hear them and know more about you. That’s done in the “Anything Else” section. Or “nTrack music” if you made it in nTrack or not, if your staying around for a while.

If you “do a search” for your issues I’m sure you’ll be running more like you would expect to, within 10 or 15 mins
:agree: With the exception of problematic drivers.
I’m sure your’s are fine.

I’ve run n on vista and windows 7 with no prob at all.
Superfect will slow you down a little.
Suppose it all depends on how dedicated your work station is.
best of luck
:agree:

ahhh. I went and looked at other posts here in this forum and this is not all that uncommon of a problem for this program. But there does not seem to be a solution. As the folks who posted just got discouraged with it and gave up or switched back to another older Op system.

One of the posts in question tells me what I need to know. No response from the manufacturer to the poor guy who cannot get the thing to work and no one in the forum can help him. This is not a position that I want to be in.
I uninstalled the SB x-FI board and tried to run the software on my onboard card. The promo told me that it runs just about any card no matter how simple or slow. Well…it doesn’t. It will not respond to anything in my Windows7 but the MME drivers and they’re not running it well at all. I downloaded the ASIO4all and it also has problems in this machine.
I took Paco’s advice and it did not work.
My conclusion is becoming that this is not the software for me. Too many adjustments and too little compatability.

Thanks guys…

Mark! How’s it going - sorted the latency issues yet?
As your having a fresh start, I would urge you to embrace midi. midi (musical intrument digital interface) has a reputation for being a ‘geeks only’ tool, but it is more like painting by numbers and only has to be as colourful and complex as the painter wants it to be. n-Track Drums (nusoft DK+) seems to frighten users off- indeed, it gave me a headache for a while and I’ve been using midi for 30 years. I now find it very user friendly and it’s a great way to cut your midi teeth.

Thats too bad you didn’t get it working. I couldn’t get my X-FI to work either with n-track and took it back. Like I said, if you find an Audigy kick’n around give it try. It works with ASIO4ALL no worries. However, Windows 7 being so new, I can’t confirm if it will work but I do know it works fine in WinXP. Best of luck with your music,

PACO

Quote: (zimmerdylan @ May 18 2010, 3:24 PM)

As the folks who posted just got discouraged with it and gave up or switched back to another older Op system.

We do a lot of beta testing here and switch back to other builds or versions of nTrack. But switching Op systems? Think your mistaken there Mark, sorry your frustrated.
Best of luck to you

Levi: Yes Op system. The guy went back to using Windows XP to get it working and said that it was the only way he could get the issue resolved after pages of fruitless responses in the forums.
And Paco…I am no longer using the SB X-FI. I uninstalled everything to do with it. Still nothing. I believe that its something to do with Windows7. But none the less…Not working.
And no…I am not interested in becoming midi oriented. I said that I have a keyboard but I also said that I have lots of other instruments. I only posess 1 keyboard. I use it for utility purposes only. I have about 20 guitars. I am a semi retired professional guitarist. I have no interest in midi. I used the keyboard as an example only. This is why I mentioned it n my initial post.
I appreciate the help fellas but if I can’t get the freeware to work…I’m not going to buy the payware.

Quote: (zimmerdylan @ May 18 2010, 5:11 PM)

Levi: Yes Op system. The guy went back to using Windows XP to get it working and said that it was the only way he could get the issue resolved after pages of fruitless responses in the forums.

There is a big difference my friend between "the guy" and "those guys". You know if one guy switched operating systems it's probably pretty obvious that he had a problem with his system.

Most new users of nTrack find it pretty easy, occasionally some like you seem to have problems. That's to bad.

Hi, Mark.
Today, I recorded a drum track. It includes my daughter’s rattle (she’s 20, now), a strange Indonesien wooden box with bells-on and various other percusive items, all recorded to wav via a nice mic into n-Track.

LOL LOL LOL… MY FRIEND you are one big misunderstanding. It’s not the point wether 1 guy or 50 guys changed. The point is that the guy did not get the support that he needed so he just went back to his operating system that worked. If this software works with Win7 and you have done this…then he should also have been able to get it to work. My point was LACK OF SUPPORT AND OVER ABUNDANCE OF FRUITLESS GUESSWORK.
And as was stated in this thread by none other than you MY FRIEND(Pls be aware that over the past decade most of the regulars have given up answering the very basic buffer issue type questions over and over). This problem seems to be a common one that if the creator of the software were paying any kind of attention would address in some way. Be it making the instructions clearer or simplifiying the process.
My personal experience is that the more I have to guess what to do with my software…the less the quality and thought the creator put into the software and in the long run…it comes out being frustrating for all. And again…I don’t kow the guy who makes this program but that is the first impression that he gives off. Wether he is that kind of guy or not, I do not know and thanks to you MY FRIEND I will not find out.
I wasn’t bashing the program but I guess you forced my hand on it. I was just asking questions and trying to see if this was what I was looking for. And in all reality I was revisiting this thread to try and find some answers to get this thing working so that I could actually consider it for purchase. But I’m now seeing that I should just move on because certain folks cannot just relax and give constructive advice but would rather put in their 2 cents and send would be customers away.
The software will be removed as soon as I get off this forum.
The rest of you…thanks for trying.

I have a lot of interfaces that won’t work with windows 7, the manufactures just never got around to providing drivers for it…and since they are discontinued devices they never will…

it is a shame tho, because they were all good and top of the line home devices in their day (just a few years ago) a Motu MKII, a M-Audio 410, etc etc…

I suppose I could blame that on Ntrack, but they don’t work well in Sonar, Protracks, or Cakewalk on the 7 system either, then again I didn’t pay only $45 on any of those programs to fine that out…but what I did learn was I had a device issue not a software issue.
:agree:

I am now using the mackie ONYX 1620 on a XP machine with NTrack and life is good.,I don’t even waist my time trying to get the ONXY to work on the 7 machine with Ntrack, too busy recording and gigging to open that can of worms…although I suppose if and when I upgrade interfaces to something that is stable on 7, something that was built and came out WITH 7 drivers I would have to get one of these programs workings with 7…I do hope when that day comes I am not pulling my hair out like all those audiophiles did with Vista.

I do hope you find something that works with you soundblaster and 7 and it does not put you out too much $$$, to me the price of software is often much higher than the price of replacing a cheezy soundblaster card with something different there are a lot of entry level cards out there…some of them even work good with Cakewalk and 7.

It does never cease to amaze me tho how musicians can spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on software (cakewalk retails for $500) and then turn around and get a cheap $2-300 Dell with a soundblaster card and expect to be in digital audio heaven, when you can spend the same amount on your PC and interface and get a cheap software and be better off in the long run.

keep shinin

jerm
:cool:

Hello Folks:
It seems to have great reviews by its users and I am told it is pretty easy to deal with. Now!! For my needs

Mark

I can understand your frustration.
I would suggest calming down a little, maybe take a break.

Buffer questions have been answered, the answers are there for you.
If nTrack can't work with your interface, that's not your fault.
Sure isn't mine.
Like I said, gook luck.