Questions about n-track

Mark, try your setup with Audacity (freeware) and/or Reaper. If it don’t work with those, the fingers are pointing to hardware or OS.

Paul

Quote: (zimmerdylan @ May 18 2010, 8:40 PM)

LOL LOL LOL..... MY FRIEND you are one big misunderstanding. It's not the point wether 1 guy or 50 guys changed. The point is that the guy did not get the support that he needed so he just went back to his operating system that worked. If this software works with Win7 and you have done this.....then he should also have been able to get it to work. My point was LACK OF SUPPORT AND OVER ABUNDANCE OF FRUITLESS GUESSWORK.
And as was stated in this thread by none other than you MY FRIEND(Pls be aware that over the past decade most of the regulars have given up answering the very basic buffer issue type questions over and over). This problem seems to be a common one that if the creator of the software were paying any kind of attention would address in some way. Be it making the instructions clearer or simplifiying the process.
My personal experience is that the more I have to guess what to do with my software...the less the quality and thought the creator put into the software and in the long run.....it comes out being frustrating for all. And again...I don't kow the guy who makes this program but that is the first impression that he gives off. Wether he is that kind of guy or not, I do not know and thanks to you MY FRIEND I will not find out.
I wasn't bashing the program but I guess you forced my hand on it. I was just asking questions and trying to see if this was what I was looking for. And in all reality I was revisiting this thread to try and find some answers to get this thing working so that I could actually consider it for purchase. But I'm now seeing that I should just move on because certain folks cannot just relax and give constructive advice but would rather put in their 2 cents and send would be customers away.
The software will be removed as soon as I get off this forum.
The rest of you.....thanks for trying.

I understand how you feel. My understanding of the sound card in question (you know which brand which I will not mention in this post) and even the older cards from what I've read in the past relates to an individual who works for the company and happens to be a close family member of some big cheese there. This guy, who's experience in driver research and development was hit and miss at the very least and this company refused to let him go despite complaints from within the company itself, not to mention the publics own complaints and get some more experienced guys to make the drivers work better. For basic use the drivers were OK but some of the advanced features promoted by this company like ASIO for example were either incomplete or worked at such poor level it made it almost impossible to use.

There were 2 situations which evolved from this situation.

#1 ASIO4ALL, this bridged the gap between the companies failure to make the cards work as advetised, however the main programmer past away leaving behind his legacy and the last update for these drivers was Dec 2009 with WINxp fully supported with the older cards.

#2 The other situation was a guy from Brazil. Some forums wanted this guy to replace "the family member of some big cheese at the sound card company" which remains nameless in this post. He created working drivers for this brand of sound cards for Vista/WinXP and other OS's before the company could. He created fixes for it as well and his drivers were much better than anything the company could produce making a fool out of this "so called family member". The company was so embarrassed about it they forced this Brazilian guy to shut down his website, remove his homemade drivers and threatened to sue him. The web community was furious over this, many retailers who heard about it refused to stock any of their products, including the place I shop at in Calgary, which no longer carries any of their products. This company eventually backed-off and allowed the Brazilian to keep his web site but restricted his activities which in essence killed what he was doing. The bottom line here is, the company failed to deliver what it was advertising and it's research and development of it's drivers was hindered by a LACK OF SUPPORT AND OVER ABUNDANCE OF FRUITLESS GUESSWORK as you put it on behalf of a family member who should have known when to quit and a managment team unwilling to see the light of it's failures.

Windows7 as with vista uses a new type of method for delivering audio streams. My take on it is, it has to do DRM and the protection of copy writed material, although I understand some the restrictions have been lifted but nonetheless complete driver reconstruction is required to run under the new OS's. Since the company refusing to go with more experienced people in the driver research, the same problems and even worse problems now exist, so nothing has changed except things are even worse now then ever.

Companies like Sonar spend million in research and find ways to get around the aforementioned sound cards but then again you must pay big bucks for their software. N-track from what I've seen is a small company which makes inexpensive software which works good with those devices who's drivers are up to snuff. For example the Line6 UX2 has drivers for Windows 7 which I currently run on my laptop and it's works great with n-Track. Onboard audio is another example of poor driver support and should be avoid if possible like real***. Most of these units are designed to deliver just the basics. I hope this sheds a bit more light on the subject. Best of luck with your music.

To check how well you system can stream audio you download this free Latency checker. It will check to see if your system can stream audio and video with out hiccups, In short, all green is good. If you see and red spikes you need to check your system out. You can drop by here and we'll give you advise should you need it. The free file can be found here.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

PACO

It is too bad when it becomes so frustrating.
I used to Love computers - now I am just happy if they work!
But the problems, when they occur are not easily fixed by a simple “One answer fits all.”
PC computers are not standard (even on board hardware can be a problem with a newer operating system and chipsets with sound devises are a constant issue) and with so many variables answers are sometimes a matter of a patient “try and reject until you get lucky” approach.
Not a good answer I know, but a fact.
I have a copy of VISTA I never loaded and a brand new full copy of Windows 7 Professional sitting on my desk since MS first release, because I simply do NOT Have the patience for messing with it.
I own copies to several different and popular audio programs, they all have problems.
N-Track works for me and the others for one reason or another do not satisfy.

Before you think I am blowing you off - Please Read The Rest of This - Perhaps, I Can Help . . .

Actually, I think people have been trying to answer the questions in this thread:
a lot of hardware does not work with systems past Windows XP and your experience with other audio programs seems to indicate that you have run into the same thing…
That is not the fault of the developer of audio software.
Sometimes one audio program works better than another or is developed specifically to work with a software program.
It is unfortunate that the impression was given that no one would try to help with the problem, because clearly people were posting.

Here are some tips:
If the problem is Lag - Is the LIVE BUTTON active? The live button routes incoming sound through the effects and will cause latency. It’s purpose is to let you hear what a track sounds like with effects active - try turning it off.
Check to see that you have the latest drivers for your hardware including the Windows drivers.
Does Windows Media Player work?
Go to the Control Panel:
what sound card is listed there?
Make it agree with the setting you are using in N-Track
Try different protacals:
Try MME - in my experience, if it does not work, nothing is going to work
Try WDM drivers - they are sometime Much better than ASIO.
I run WDM on one of my computers, because ASIO will not work - also, ASIO does not allow you to move between audio program and I like to use Sound Forge and N-Track together.
ASIO is a favorite of many because it is low latency - be aware that the setting in N-track default to the setting in ASIO.
Changing N-track buffers will not change the ASIO setting.

If none of that works:
Send an email to N-Track support with a complete description of you computer’s setup and a description of what is not working.
No one on this forum is as good at fixing problems as Flavio ( the developer of N_Track)
Hope something helps I fully sympathize with your situation…
My hobby, as is yours, is music; not fixing computer problems.
Good luck,
Bax

Think he’s gone bax, that’s to bad. Would love to see some keyboard players hookin up here.
But we all know how frustrating that can be. Maybe when he figures out his problem he’ll try n again.

Creative sound cards were for many years the mainstay of audio cards. But as times changed on-board audio took a big chunk out of the market for creative, (not that made any difference in the drivers) and in doing so lowered the quality, that is the on-board audio was even worse than creative, always creating trouble in one way or another. Today the on-board audio is getting better but I still think it lacks the features you could get with a sound card. It’s too bad creative dropped the ball so bad and it makes new users like this chap experience n-ntrack in a not so friendly way. Top that off with crappy drivers for Windows 7 only compounds the issue. The golden egg here is if you run WINxp and an audigy+ASIO4ALL your good to go with n-Track. I think that speaks for itself.

PACO

Paco! I’m right with you there. After reading all posts - I’m gonna keep my DAW XP for now. Works a dream with the ECHO MIA midi card and with the on-board Gforce but I had all manner of probs with the SBLive card that I started-out with on n-T.

Bottom line… many other DAWs don’t require that you jump through so many hoops checking this, that, or the other setting. They just work. That simple fact alone is why many of the old regulars moved on; myself included.

Quote: (Bubbagump @ May 19 2010, 8:45 PM)

Bottom line... many other DAWs don't require that you jump through so many hoops checking this, that, or the other setting. They just work. That simple fact alone is why many of the old regulars moved on; myself included.

Moving on is a fact of life, I guess. I for one am I've just recently moved in. I'm relatively new to n-Track (been using for 4 months) and I think it's great, it works without an hitch on my system (Windows 7, MAudio Delta 66). I've tried other similarly priced DAWs and n-Track is by far the one that I like the most. I guess it fits nicely with my workflow, which is recording, then recording again and then again (it takes me a few attempts to get things right..). My 2 cents.

StringMan