"Linking" wave files together

Is there any way in N?

Hey guys, I have a question which, if anybody can help me, will save me alot of time.

Sometimes while recording in N, I will have to overdub a guitar part onto a pre-existing guitar part (or whatever instrument). Probably because I screwed up a measure or two and I had to go back over it to get it right. Anyway, I have to “pull” together the two parts (where the old guitar part ends and where the new guitar part beggings) with those little boxes on the side of the wave file until they come together perfectly and the little boxes turn blue. The problem is, it’s very hard to drag those little boxes just perfectly. Usually what ends up happening is I pull the little box too far and it pushes the other wave file making it out of time. I then have to “undo” and try again until I get it right. Is there anyway to make these wave files “snap” together instead of having to eyeball it?

thanks for your help.

Matt

you could simply overlap them and hit the crossfade button-it’ll crossfade between the two wav files and you’re good to go…

They may have to be on separate tracks but I’m pretty sure they’re supposed to be on one.

But I don’t want to fade from one to the other. I want a seamless transition…like the guitar part never stopped

any ideas?

BARELY overlap. Then crossfade. If you overlap in the right spot, you shouldn’t hear any seams.

Generally, it’s best to do your crossfades on a silent spot. Doesn’t have to be long silence…zoom in on the tracks and find a spot where you ended a phrase and fade in on the beginning of the next phrase. It can just be a few milliseconds. You can zoom in pretty far and do the crossfade pretty tight.

How about just setting up to record to that track and doing a punch in?

I do what Teledork suggests.
Zoom way way in and then manually adjust to get a sweet spot that sounds nice.

Doing a punch in hardly ever sounds good (unless you are lucky).
I find it better to just mute the section you want to redo and then record the overdub on a separate track.
Leave the overdub on a separate track. (Mover them so one is immediately below the other so you can line things up)
Then just splice the orginal and amnually adjust the end and start of each part to get the best sounding transition. Sometimes they will overlap slightly sometimes not.
Sometimes there is even a tiny gap - this is sometimes not noticeable - especially once reverb is applied.

If you need fx just send both tracks to a group and apply fx to the group rather than hte individual tracks.

Rich

Hey guys,

This is all great advice, but it still doesn’t answer my original question, which was is there any way to snap together wave files so the little pull boxes turn blue instead of having to have an incredibly steady hand while doing it manually?

Matt

Matt,

I was playing with the latest version 4 build and noticed that if you hold control+shift (EDIT Shift alone seems to do the same thing…sorry, I’m learning this as I go along. Manual? What’s that? :D EDIT) down while dragging one of the boxes, it’ll show you when the waves are linked, but it doesn’t push/pull if you go too far–it just unlinks them. Is this what you’re talking about?

Tony

I do this all the time on my tracks.(always making mistakes to fix) It’s best if you stop right when you make the mistake, drag the right square back to before you made the mistake and start recording over before the mistake happened. Then drag the left square of the new part a good ways to the right.Drag the old right square right to a good stopping point and drag the new left square back to the old part to turn blue.The larger you blow up the wav the easier it is to do!
Bottom line is – drag left and you won’t knock anything out of time.Trust me, after you do this 100 times, it gets easy!! :D If you just want to redo a certain part after you have the whole track done. I would clone that track to keep the same settings (effects,volume,etc) and back the end square back to before the mistake and record the new part, then split the original track and insert the new part into it using this method.

Hey guys,

Thanks…that really does help.

Matt