"nice, old" Uke!?

Today I spent ill afforded cash on one. Saw it, wanted it, went mental, didn’t play it, bought it, got home, intonation is out by 1/4" = a semitone!? Glued bridge. Tools out. Not happy.

Bummer.

You can pick up really cheap ones over here - $30NZ,
£15UK. Not great but playable.

I teach uke on a friday to a bunch of ladies. Great fun as long as I don’t look at the chord charts 'cos then my fingers play the guitar chord instead of the Uke chords.

Plenty of sites for resources on the internet. One we like is called “Ukulele Hunt”… but I need to stop my boss from abbreviating it to “Uke Hunt”. Not sure she realises.

I just laughed out loud - where’s your boss from, the moon? :laugh:

I’ve got several of those
£10/20ers - they’ve all suffered the same into’ issue.
This time, I thought I’d get me one that didn’t need fettlin’.
Live ‘n’ learn:-)

I often wondered how they can glue those bridges on without a measuring stick…
The next time you go
“Ukulele Hunting” take a “stick” with you… :) hehe…
When I’m out looking around the music shops I’ve seen some nice Ukuleles…
You can pay some Big Bucks for them around here…

Bill…

Quote: (TonyR @ Mar. 26 2011, 5:47 PM)

Today I spent ill afforded cash on one. Saw it, wanted it, went mental, didn't play it, bought it, got home, intonation is out by 1/4" = a semitone!? Glued bridge. Tools out. Not happy.

Alas.....I have lots of 'projects' like that :)

I’ve fixed it. Managed to move the bridge back a full 1/4" without too much visible damage, covering the original placing, with a peice of crafted plastic.
I’ve got a feeling many folk blame themselves for not being able to get a nice sound out of a Uke for any less than a
£50 one.

Mark! Are you up for taking a rule to as many saprano Ukes as is practicable? I think the standard is 7"/14".