"Odd" meter and ezdrummer

I’ve got a song that I’m doing in 6/8, and have the meter set to that in N (6.0). When I drag and drop a 6/8 groove from ezdrummer I get the same pop-up I do normally asking “Use MIDI file tempo map? Yes/No”

If I answer Yes the groove is copied into a new track, the meter in N (both the tool bar meter, and the M:B:T display) changes to 4/4 but the groove still sounds in 6/8 to me.

If I answer No the groove is copied into a new track, the meter in N stays in 6/8 but when I try to manipulate the track in N gaps appear the midi file.

Any suggestions, I’d really appreciate it!

Are you sure the data in the MIDI file is correct? It might be 6/8 musically, but it might be 4/4 in the data. It will still play the same from MIDI players since MIDI is just a stream of events.

Any way you could post the MIDI file?

I’m not certain about the files in ezdrummer so I made a simple 1 bar midi file 6/8 in an external sequencer that goes bass drum - snare - snare - bass drum - snare - snare. When I just import this in N through “File-import midi file” everything works as I’d expect. The first screen shot below shows the piano roll of this test midi file using import.

I put this test file into my library in ezdrummer. When I drag and drop from ezd and answer “yes” to the “Use MIDI file tempo map?” The meter is changed to 4/4 in N, but the pattern sounds right although it would be difficult to work with since the measures don’t line up nicely. This is shown in the third clip below.

When I drag and drop and answer “no” to the “Use MIDI file tempo map?” the piano roll changes from what I had made. This is shown in the third clip.

I’m starting to feel this isn’t necessarily a N-track problem, maybe EZD is manipulating the file to make it fit in 4/4?

Import:

Answering yes:

Answering no:

Diogenes can answer your question on this but I made fun of him and he’s pissin’ and moanin’ elsewhere right now. I have EZ and and never had this come up.

Which one works? Use that one - is it that simple?

I can get by with the middle option, its just a pain because the measures don’t fall in 4/4 where they would in 6/8. At least the drums sound right, though. I’d really like it to work like importing my 6/8 midi file worked, though.

Something like that should work…it HAS to work to do simple MIDI editing.

I’ve been slammed at work this week, and it’s not going to end any time soon, but when I get a bit of free time I’ll play around with this.

I can say that I’ve had problems with MIDI files being manipulated to fit into a time signature, but it ended up being user error. I need to re-remember again what it was that got me going on the right track.

Then again…could be a bug.

Quote:

Diogenes can answer your question on this

Well not really... :(

I totally gave up on using EZD in n-Track because of this same issue and other wonky behavior trying to do drum tracks with EZD. I'll leave you with this thought and go back into hiding; EZD works as advertised in all my other apps. I don't know who to tell you to look to for a cure, EZD or n-Track...

I am sorry... I know that's not very helpful or constructive but it is what it is... *shrug*

Good luck!

D
Quote: (Diogenes @ Sep. 18 2008, 8:36 AM)

Quote:

Well not really...
:(

I totally gave up on using EZD in n-Track because of this same issue and other wonky behavior trying to do drum tracks with EZD. I'll leave you with this thought and go back into hiding; EZD works as advertised in all my other apps. I don't know who to tell you to look to for a cure, EZD or n-Track...

I am sorry... I know that's not very helpful or constructive but it is what it is... *shrug*

Good luck!

D

+1

I gave up on the EZD/nTrack marriage quite a while ago. I create all of my drum tracks in Fruity Loops and import them into nTrack as separate wav files. Works great for me and EZD works flawlessly in Fruity Loops.

Just wondering if you have to start a New Song in N with
6/8 as the meter. Then import from EZ.

Quote: (gibson5413 @ Sep. 18 2008, 11:15 AM)

Quote: (Diogenes @ Sep. 18 2008, 8:36 AM)

Quote:

Well not really...
:(

Good luck!

D

+1

I gave up on the EZD/nTrack marriage quite a while ago. I create all of my drum tracks in Fruity Loops and import them into nTrack as separate wav files. Works great for me and EZD works flawlessly in Fruity Loops.

Thanks, Diogenes and gibson5413, at least its not just me!
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 18 2008, 11:39 AM)

Just wondering if you have to start a New Song in N with
6/8 as the meter. Then import from EZ.

That's what I thought too but it doesn't work for me.
Quote: (phoo @ Sep. 17 2008, 11:14 PM)

Something like that should work...it HAS to work to do simple MIDI editing.

I've been slammed at work this week, and it's not going to end any time soon, but when I get a bit of free time I'll play around with this.

I can say that I've had problems with MIDI files being manipulated to fit into a time signature, but it ended up being user error. I need to re-remember again what it was that got me going on the right track.

Then again...could be a bug.

Thanks, phoo, if you give it a shot sometime and get it to work let us know the secret!