raw pro tools tacks to ntrack?

hey all, my band went to a studio to record some tracks but it hasn’t gone well. although the band performance was fine and tracks sounded good individually, the guy hashed the initial mix (and did no eq or anything) and then the studio flooded and they are shut down for an extended period. i want to take the tracks and do the mixing, post processing in n-track (might record some additional tracks at home too) but he’s saying he can only give me the “raw data”. i take it from his description that this doesn’t include plugins, panning info etc. which i don’t care about, but also that it isn’t “bounced” so they’ll all line up. useless right? but he says pro tools tracks are “time stamped”. is there any way I can get all these raw tracks into n-track and synced to their original time offsets? any advice most appreciated.

I don’t foresee that any issues will surface if the files appear as .wav files…
AND…
if the “Properties” are such that your audio card and computer recognizes their extension(s)…

You own the Music…
He owns the Technical Compliance ??

Their may be some mutual agreement that can be reached…

Bill…

I know this program works rather well with Protools and Reaper exchanges:

AA

keeping all the placings and panings and such…

What you are looking for is something similar that exhanges to whatever format Ntrack saves it’ projects in, .sng? guys?
I used to know of one that worked between Sonar and Ntrack…can’t find it right now…but if you know what your looking for Google works well.

other than that, you have to solo each track and export them…mixdown, whatever…

dontcare

Nice…

Too bad he wants too much for it…
An audio guy that works between many studios needs to have a piece of software like that…

Call it a Producer’s Hammer…
:agree:
:)

Bill…

the one I had that went between SOnar and Ntrack was free…
:O

Protools is sort of it’s own high end niche so it doesn’t surprise me you would have to pay some insane amount to have a converter to export the projects, comes with the territory.

^^^^It says you could convert a test session for free…might be his best bet, convert it to a file format Sonar or another common one will accept, then save the Sonar file and convert that into Ntracks format…

dontcare

Raw data? NTrack 6 should be able to import the AIFF files. It’s even possible (although unlikely, if he’s a Macintosh guy) that the raw data is comprised of WAV files.

You might have to tweak your playback settings depending on the sampling rate and bit depth that the engineer recorded the files at, but give it a bash.

if you save out of protools as an .edl project folder then there’s no need for anything else as long as the wav, aif, whatever files are in the project folder. Simply open the edl in n.

sounds like a keen solution, we had no idea NTrack opened .edl’s…

What method would you suggest for him to get all the “wav or aif files” into a folder to take out of the studio they are currently captive in?

if it were me I would probably take my 4G USB stick and tell the guy to dump the whole project folder into it, then tell him to save the Ptools project as edl in there as well…

would it work?

dontcare

I think - been a while since protools use - you ‘save as’ project edl

I don’t know about n-Track’s ability to handle time-stamped BWF files… Not sure how the "Hey n? Import these WAV’s and pop them on the time-line according to the BWF time-stamp. IF such a feature is there, get the WAV’s (or AIFF’s) and give 'er a whirl.

# usual shameless promotion of other software edited out
#

UJ

thanks for the reply’s. sounds like if i get the whole protools project and edl i might be able to import to ntrack or use that conversion tool. think i’ll get the project then try a few things to import it and see how i go. will let yas know.

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Mar. 08 2011, 5:47 PM)

I don't know about n-Track's ability to handle time-stamped BWF files... Not sure how the "Hey n? Import these WAV's and pop them on the time-line according to the BWF time-stamp. IF such a feature is there, get the WAV's (or AIFF's) and give 'er a whirl.

# usual shameless promotion of other software edited out
#

UJ

LOL...

The shame is not on me sir... :(

UJ

Well, yeah, the shame is on you, Unblown; you’re a pest.

Quote: (Fuggle_Hop @ Mar. 11 2011, 4:33 AM)

Well, yeah, the shame is on you, Unblown; you're a pest.

I prefer "Quality Assurance Consultant" thank you.

UJ

Pretty sure n-Track Studio had BWF support in 2002 or something…