Raw tracks from Pro Tools

Question! …

I know nothing about Pro Tools. I have a friend who would like to send me raw tracks recorded with PT to listen to, but says you need PT to listen to them. If this is correct, is there a way to get these raw tracks converted to some kind of lossless audio format, so that I can hear them without using PT (which I don’t have anyway)? Or should I just download the free “old” version of PT and use that? I don’t know what PT version was used for these raw tracks.

Just export the tracks as individual waves in standard format without reducing the bit length. Then they can be imported with no problem if I’m not mistaken.

no cents

he can try to save the pt files as wave broadcast. this contains time/position information and ntrack4 supports broadcast wave.

The old pro tools free only supports win98. The newer versions that will run on 2000/xp require digi hardware.

Quote (nocents @ Sep. 23 2004,00:08)
Just export the tracks as individual waves in standard format without reducing the bit length. Then they can be imported with no problem if I'm not mistaken.

no cents

that's what i was going to suggest as well.

lates

t-willy

I was just told the files are on discs (made in PT I guess). Can these discs be read on a CD drive in a normal PC also and extract the files there? It looks like they do not have the PT software, only the discs, because they actually went to a studio to do the recording and that is where the software is actually. It’s their music on the discs. Thus they don’t have access to PT anymore I suppose.

Also, would it be possible for them to use that free PT version, if they have Win98 and even if the studio they went to has a later version? I have Win98, so I can probably install the free version.

You have files on CD. First thing you need to find out is whether they are audio files or data files. If we’re talking about multi-track files, they are probably data. There are a number of PC based applications that can open many different file types. The one I have some limited knowledge of is Cool Edit Pro v.2 , which can open a huge variety of file formats and save them as any other format for use. It will definitley open SDII or .aiff files (either type would be typical of ProTools on a Mac), and save them as a PC format for use in n-Track (I’ve done it…have a TDM system at the studio and n-Track at home…). It can also extract audio files from CD and store them as different formats. Cool Edit Pro isn’t free. Bet there are free apps that will do similar format changes; maybe someone here knows of one. Find one of them and use it to convert your files.

The different ProTools applications have varying levels of compatibility based on version, operating system, and other things. I can’t tell you if you can use PT LE or a Win98 system on the files you have without knowing something about the system the files were recorded on (and maybe not even then…). As mentioned above, not having the PT session files available means you gotta rebuild sessions to work in n-Track. It’s a drag, but it can be done…good luck

Yeah you may run into problems trying to open the session with ProTools free, especially if the session was recorded on a Mac based system. Though the other versions offer cross platform support, the free version does not.

Like Clavastudio said, you should at the very least be able to recover the audio (even if they weren’t saved in wav format) but depending on how many tracks and edits were done, you may have 20 wav files for one vocal track and you’ll have to import them, piece the track back together - it could be a long and tedious process, but it could be done.

Thanks guys. We’ve decided it will probably be too much of a hassle, so we won’t do anything to get the raw tracks off the discs. My friend has the discs and lives far away, so inconvenience is also a factor. I will try to get that free PT version later on. But 32 MB to download on my dialup is gonna be one of those overnighters.