Re-install Problems

grrr!

OK… I just yesterday got a new primary hard drive because my old one was like a billion years old and was basically deteriorated to the point where I had to force shutdown to get it to turn off EVERY SINGLE time… So yeah… the new drive works wonderfully, but I’m having problems with N-Track… I can’t get any volume on playback at all… I’m using the current build of N, do you think that has anything to do with it? This is incredibly frustrating…

Hi Jay Jay:
I wouldn’t think that it’s the Hard Drive this is giving you this issue… I would go to the Device Manager and take a peek at the sound card settings… I’d poke the faders up to the last point/mark of the amount that the fader can be moved… To a point equal to about 85-90% or the movment of the fader… If you have drivers that show “advanced” settings… those being the tone controls… I would set them at mid-movement of the distance between Left-and-Right… Or “FLAT”… However, they don’t make reference to the mid-point of the fader movement, being FLAT… Then… Check the box that says show mixer on the task bar… You may want to go to the mixer from time-to-time… But n-Track has access to that on one of the Drop-Down Menues, anyway…

That would be one of the places I would check for “LOW” Play-back levels…

Bill…

no no… I’m not getting "low"playbeck levels… I’m getting no sound at all… I have iTunes installed and can listen to music just fine… The only software I can’t get sound from thus far is N. I am a relatively advanced N-Track user (5 years?) and pc user, so it’s not any of the “common” problems… This one is REALLY racking my brain… I DO have an external 24bit Soundblaster Live! card installed, which I’m assuming is the root of these problems, but before swapping hard drives N worked decently well (as well as it could on a hard drive on its last leg…) Any suggestions?

OK… got the sound working… reinstalled the soundcard drivers for the third time (they do say the third time’s the charm…) Thanks anyway for your help, I do appreciate it…

Now I feel a bit silly…

Doesn’t it feel good to get things up-and-running? These computers and Operating Systems have a way of of humbulling ?? you… I’m working on these Dual-Boot installs… The challenge is hurting my mental resolve… big time… I’m telling myself to be tough, but I don’t know how long I’m gonna last…

phoo is being very patient with me… You’d think I’d learn… but that hasn’t taken hold yet…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

of humbulling ??

Hey Bill this made me smile. There’s a town in New Zealand, near where my wife’s family live called “Bulls”. There all the shops etc use a play on the word “bulls”… I can’t remember many of them right now but the church had a sign saying “forgive-a-bull” and the car repair place, “repair-a-bull”… “cure-a-bull” on the medical centre… anyway, you get the idea. Hum-bull.

Mark

I never thought I Played-on-Words even when I went to school my English teacher and I never saw Eye-to-eye … often…

[EDIT]
I bet there’s quite a story there of how you-two met?

These puters are playing with me… BiG tImE… :p :O :laugh:

I’m wondering if I’m asking for It… and tHat’S > EXACTLY < what I’m GettING… And… How long is it gonna take me to recover from all this?

All this abuse I’m laying on me is… Wareing me Down…

Bill…

P.S. Mark… that MaxX install program you sent me a month ago, installed just fine on this set-up I have here… Why did I not write it on a floppy or a CD, or something… I’m sure I did… though… Why can’t I find it? How come… I can find everything, I don’t need? AND… Even if I did have it… Would it work on this XP build I’m working on… now??

???

<!–QuoteBegin>

I bet there’s quite a story there of how you-two met?

There certainly is… but that’s for later perhaps…

<!–QuoteBegin>
P.S. Mark… that MaxX install program you sent me a month ago, installed just fine on this set-up I have here… Why did I not write it on a floppy or a CD, or something… I’m sure I did… though… Why can’t I find it? How come… I can find everything, I don’t need? AND… Even if I did have it… Would it work on this XP build I’m working on… now??

It should do. If you need me to send it again just let me know.

Mark

That might be a good idea, Mark. Let’s see how it works with the regsvr32 stuff I’ve been helping Bill with over in the - of all places - the hockey thread. :)

Since there was a problem with multiple versions of regsvr32 on that machine, there may be other issues we don’t know about yet. While searching for version info about that exe (never found anything useful) I stumbled across a web page that was a bit of source where a company had modified it for their own purposes. It looked potentially like a spyware company. It was posted back in 1999. Software File Protection in WinXp will prevent that these days, but it can’t prevent someone putting a bastard copy somewhere else. (I’m not suggesting that’s the problem with your machine, Bill.)

Ahhh the hockey thread!! I don’t venture over to that part of the forum very often.

Hi Guys:
All that may have come from me trying to install Graphics Drivers for that AT card… What do I know? Not a lot… But I’m gonna look at regsvr32 versions on all of these builds I have going, here…

Question????

If I were gonna look at '98SE regsvr32.exe… What version should appear… or, be the correct version for that DESK?

Ya know what? Thanks guys for helping me try to understand this…

Bill…