real compressor vs plug ???

what do you think about using this for voice comp…

http://www.univers-sons.com/us2K/exec/product?prod=SQUEEZ

Looks great… if you know how to sing in French! :laugh:

It’s written in foreign. :(

Could be a sausage making machine for all I know! :D

Ali

Speaking of “foreign”…

I’m no chauvinist who believes that all foreigners should learn to speak English, (although, I think Americans ought to try a wee bit harder :( ), but, why are there so many foreign languages?

Can’t there be just one?

That way, non-English speakers could all understand each other, and English speakers would only have one to learn, i.e. foreign!

See, if they put me in charge of the world, it’d all be so much better organised! :laugh:

Sorry Marce. :(

Ali

Quote (nergle @ Mar. 16 2005,16:48)
That way, non-English speakers could all understand each other, and English speakers would only have one to learn, i.e. foreign!

There are only two languages in the world:
1-English
2-Not-English
:laugh: :D :laugh: :D

You guys.

From the looks of it, it is a budget comp - yes? Chances are you’ll get better sound from a good plug in. But most plug in comps sound like garbage, and a mid priced comp will probably sound better than nearly any plug in.

Ok, sorry, back to the topic… :(

(English, non-English? Which category does American fall in John? :D)

Sorry, again. :(

I like to apply compression to my vocals before they record.

You can do that with Cubase SX2 via plug-ins, or if you have the KX project drivers, with an Audigy/SBLive card using the DSP chip.

But with n-track 3.3 you can’t (I don’t know about 4).

So, an off-board compressor is very handy, not only for vocals, but for drums, etc., too.

But as Tom says, for mixing and mastering, good plugs are normally better. Something like Waves4 will beat an inexpensive hardware compressor hands down, and even arguably, an expensive one.

Ali

The reason to apply compression and/or limiting in hardware during record is to avoid clipping and get a stronger signal, maintaining a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

We apply compression as a plugin to control the dynamics of the track.

With a hardware compressor, you get what you recorded; you can’t undo what’s been done. With a track plugin, you can always change your mind – but if it clipped or was buried in the weeds, it’s a do-over (or worse).

Also, some folks apply hardware compression simply because they like the way a particular compressor sounds – certainly nothing wrong with that!

With 24-bit A/Ds and the high S/N ratio and headroom of todays analog gear (even budget gear), hardware compression during recording is no longer as necessary as it used to be. Many engineers prefer to record straight and simply leave enough headroom (in both analog and digital domains) to avoid clipping. You can get excellent recordings that way. Other engineers prefer compression and/or limiting during recording, for one or more of 3 reasons:

1) There aren’t any do-overs, and the recording is precious (e.g., being paid to record a live gig or unrepeatable event – or to avoid wasing the customer’s studio time due to engineer goofup)
2) They’ve been doing it that way since tape days and are comfortable with it
3) They like the sound

Of course, item #3 is the bottom line.

I don’t use an external compressor, but if I was a pro, recording folks for bux (especially live gigs), I probably would use limiters as a safety net. For the “sound”, that is, to control the dynamics of a part, I much prefer a plugin because I can adjust to my heart’s content.

Remember that we always advise to adjust FX while listening to the whole mix. And since the mix changes as we do this for each track, we do several go-arounds on the process – hopefully honing in on the great sound. That’s the beauty of plugins, you get the ability to do this. With a hardware device, you can’t change what you did.

There’s no law against doing both, of course.

Like lots of things, there are tradeoffs. Anyone who says it has to be one way or the other is overgeneralizing. People who make generalizations are idiots! :p

Ok, this is definitely my last post of the night! lol

<!–QuoteBegin>

People who make generalizations are idiots!

Yeah, and I told you a million times, “don’t exaggerate!” LOL

But Jeff, I do hope you keep copies of all your posts, I’d hate to see this forum crash again and we lose them all.

So, if you ever do decide to write this book of yours, and want a collaborator who can translate it into Scots, gimme a call. :D

Ali

I’ll second the request for a book by Jeff… Listen to the man; he knows his stuff.

teej

Thanks, guys – I collect some of 'em and wunnathesedays I’m going to get a round tuit and organize it on my website (some stuff there already – stuff I got tired of typing over and over again!) If there are any posts you remember that I should be sure to include, just let me know.
:blues:

Quote (nergle @ Mar. 16 2005,16:48)
Speaking of "foreign"..........

I'm no chauvinist who believes that all foreigners should learn to speak English, (although, I think Americans ought to try a wee bit harder :( ), but, why are there so many foreign languages?

Can't there be just one?

See, if they put me in charge of the world, it'd all be so much better organised! :laugh:

Sorry Marce. :(

Ali

ok, ok... but remember that we (spanish speakers) speak a language that comes from what once was the universal language (Latin) like is English today.
Maybe in 500 years your grandsons will speak Japanese.

Hey Ali, i can understand English movies when talk!! I cant understand Australian&American ones.
One point for you ;)

Continue compressing...
Quote (marce @ Mar. 18 2005,14:52)
Maybe in 500 years your grandsons will speak Japanese.

More likely Chinese.

TG