realtek duplex question

cool - you’ll love it!

"Ony srmt poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!"

looks like my typing before spell check !!!

unit came in a day early!

pretty straight forward setting up the 122L with nTrack on 32 bit vista pc.

i can only use the “1-US-122L/144” wave devices - the WDMs or MMEs do not work.

the 1-US devices do not provide mono recording selection in the recording VU settings box - only stereo and stero-> 2 mono available. guess i’ll need to just delete the blank tracks - no biggie, but if there is a better way - i’m all ears.

went to tascam site and can find no vista drivers - so i loaded the 32 bit XPs and upgraded the firmware to 1.12. i also searched this forum but most of the 122L discussions were old. i’ll keep looking.

other than that - the unit is working fine for now.

any sage 122L tech advice is welcome.

I just installed one today for a friend, the Vista drivers were on the CD from Tascam…? You get the old blue US122? or the new silver/grey one?

Here’s the 122 Vista drivers Tascam Drivers.

Here is the 122L drivers page - as I said the ones on the CD worked fine in Vista… Tascam 122l Vista Driver info

Only problem the old one has in vista is you have to unplug it before shutting down windows. Plug in after windows starts and before you start and other software for recording.

mine is the silver/grey with white face and back caps.

the drivers on the CD are ver 1.1 (Dec 2007) where as i was able to download ver 1.12 (July 2008) on the website. i wonder what date your friend has?

again - only available for 32 bit XP support - nothing for vista. they have a vista PDF file on the same site that give info that they are developing vista support.

http://www.tascam.com/products/us-122l;9,15,69,19.html

my goof - looking again i see they have a ver 1.11 for vista 32… i wonder if i should back up and reinstall that?

I would - I’m gonna go get the others for my friend too.

ok - according to the ver 1.12 release notes - ver 1.12 supports 32 bit vista.

so looks like i have it as up to date as possible.

it only supports ASIO devices - and has no “mono” specific capability - which seems weird since the 122L is designed to be used as a mono device.

i may ping tascam about that later?

thanks papa.

I plan on testing my friends out tomorrow - I’ll test mono etc…

Quote:

it only supports ASIO devices - and has no "mono" specific capability - which seems weird since the 122L is designed to be used as a mono device.

Two things;

What makes you think the US-122L is designed to be used as a mono device? It clearly has two inputs and two outputs. Stereo... if you want it.

ASIO always works in stereo pairs. It's in the original Steinberg ASIO spec. Different DAW software may present these pairs to the user in different ways. It doesn't matter really, if you want both channels, set your DAW to record the stereo pair as well... a stereo pair. If you want mono, say the left side only, enable only that side to record from within your DAW software.

I have a 122L and use it that way all the time.

Congrats! It's a great little unit IMO. :agree:

D

PS My son used my US-122L on his laptop while home from school over the holidays. 32 bit Vista Home Premium. Worked great...

dead

in my haste i did not communicate that too well… i know the 122L is a stereo device. recording in stereo is not a problem at all.

what i meant is that the 122L has specific mono routing capabilities by design. however the device drivers (ASIO) only provide options for stereo or stereo->2 mono (or at least that is all that shows up on mine). seems they would have a true mono option… ?

example: for mono guitar work (R guitar input) i am using the stereo->2mono function - once the track is laid down only the R track has data recorded so i then delete the blank L track. easy to do, but it is still a work around.

so far i am impressed with the audio and am having fun with the unit.

thanks!

I don’t have n installed at the moment, but there is a right-click option if I remember correctly, to only enable the left OR right channel for recording. Right-click the REC arm button on a track and have a peek?

D

Yep - click on the track red record button for input options.

There you go… Thanks PW!

Note: The screenshot is showing SENDS. Poppa is MIDI’ing around there with his Line 6 Toneport KB37. If I remember right, The Tascam ASIO driver will say something like “US-122 - Stereo 1/2” and “US - 122 Left” or “US - 122 Right” or something similar…

D

chicken :p

looking fwd to checking that out when i get home tonight.

i also plan to switch from 44.1 to 96 kHz and do some comparisons - nice to have that capability (in conjuction with the 24 bit).

another thought: my primary recording acoustic guitar will be a martin OMC with the fishman aura preamp. are you guys using the “guitar” switch on the 122 when using guitar preamps? i’m thinking that might conflict - so i plan to play with that too.

I gave up recording line in acoustic guitar - I try to mic it when possible. But you can throw the switch and go for what sounds best.

Quote:

another thought: my primary recording acoustic guitar will be a martin OMC with the fishman aura preamp. are you guys using the "guitar" switch on the 122 when using guitar preamps? i'm thinking that might conflict - so i plan to play with that too.

The switch on the 122 is designed to better impedance match a magnetic guitar pickup which requires a high impedance input. The Aura probably has enough juice to drive the 122 with the switch in the MIC/LINE position. However, it won't hurt a thing to try both to see what sounds best. Just watch the level and don't over-drive the input or you'll get nasty guitar tone.

If you have a decent mic and fairly quiet room, I'd try mic'ing the acoustic instead of going direct. I have recorded acoustic guitars direct plenty of times and am usually not too happy with the result. YMMV...

Just experiment. That's half the fun. :agree:

D

based on my experience i tend to agree - :agree:

but the aura is pretty sweet live - even better than my fishman dual source - so i have to see how it will record. i’ll probabaly revert to an SM57 if disappointed.

i need to be thinking about a decent mic for vocals and strings.