REAPED

AGRIM GRIM TALE

so after reading glowing praises about THAT PROGRAM i installed it on my second PC and thank the man above i did -

two things interested me, their compressor and cross networking audio processing -

the compresser is locked to Reaper and is no use outside of it - the cross network processing can only be between two machines running Reaper - so no result there - while messing with IT and reading the PDF manual at the same time IT broke and refused to restart - i eventually found how to reset it by trawling through their forum -

so all was well again - NOT - because neither N track or Ableton Live now opened - both report a scripting error which is caused by the programs themselves ?, this happens at the position in time where the main GUI (screen) should open - everything else i have tried on this PC running WinME opens perfectly - reinstalling N made no difference -

so as only Ableton and N use dotnet, that was my first point of attack but uninstalling it and installing the version supplied in the long download (and later with it from M$oft) made no difference - so i reinstalled windowsME - no difference - but i can still open Ableton across my network on my other PC perfectly, so the problem is on that PC and not in the program(s) -

now to add to my woes reinstalling WinME reset internet explorer back to build 5.50 (was build 6 which is required by N) and worse NOTHING BUT NOTHING will presuade Windows to update it back to build 6 - AND I MEAN NOTHING - worse there seems to be no way of uninstalling internet explorer -

i have even tried to force IE back to build 5 and then back to 6 by using the installations available on the AOL CD - but again IE resolutely sticks at 5.50 and says it needs new files whih it will now download from the internet BUT as that PC can no longer get access to the internet - THATS IT i have been well and truly REAPED -

take heed folks (although it may only apply to PCs running Win98se and WinME) if IT breaks you could be for a load of trouble -

the biggest joke of all (untill i fathom out a fix) is that after all i hve to repair the damage it has done. the only way to continue my own cross PC MIDI and audio processing is to use IT -

ARGGGGGGGH what have i done so wrong to deserve that ? -

Dr J

Hi Doc J:
That’s tough story to have to post… If you could have come back to resolve that would be good, but sounds like you’ve got a long row-to-hoe yet…

I have something similar happen to me with a graphics card on one of the machines I use in the studio… When the machine was originally built the card worked perfectly… But I decided I needed more ram, for some reason.
I boot the machine at which time the machine didn’t like the ram I installed and “Blue Screened”… I decided that more ram wasn’t what the machine needed and re-booted the machine with the old ram set-up… However, the graphics card and the machine didn’t like each other and the operating system loaded a set of compatible drivers and now I find that there is no-way the operating system will allow reloading a set of drivers that will make to graphics card properly work…

I wonder why we can’t let well enough … alone…

Well… me anyway…

Anyway, as you can see I am able to access the Board again…

Bill…

Don’t be so quick to condemn Doc. You are attempting to use the most advanced features of the product on two supported but not recommended OS’s…

n-Track and Reaper are both solid as a rock on XP. n-Track just pops and farts all the time on moderately loaded projects that run smooth as a babies butt in Reaper. I’m holding out hope for n…

D

the REAPER download is 2,8meg, N is 17 meg, discounting 7meg for free plugins that makes N 5 times more powerfull than Reaper and pro rata you will need 5 times the processing power to run N than R so if N does as youi suggest its YOUR PC that is at fault not N - AS IS MY POOR LITTLE (crippled by REAPER) 700meg CELERON BASED PC, indeed on that PC N can only play two track OK, it hits 100%cpu use opening windows explorer so has no chance with N but N is great for MIDI on that PC - taking all things in to consideration REAPER is the ideal program to run on that PC, and untill such time as i can find a fix for what it has done i will be using it, and by then i may not have to bother with N as it will overload that P{C on startup, as N grows so more and more low spec PCs are taken out of the equasion and more and more people will be migrating away from N, in a few years only IBM mainframes and CRAY super computers will be able to run N -

Dr J-

DrJ

<!–QuoteBegin>

the REAPER download is 2,8meg, N is 17 meg, discounting 7meg for free plugins that makes N 5 times more powerfull than Reaper and pro rata you will need 5 times the processing power to run N than R so if N does as youi suggest its YOUR PC that is at fault not N

Errr… all due respect to you and n-Track, I’d rethink that statement Doc. The size of the download has NOTHING to do with how “powerful” either program is. Reaper has more features, better editing, a WAY more efficient audio engine and is truly user customizable versus n.

Look, I’m not after a “My DAW is better than yours fight.” I still use and support n-Track. I am just pointing out fact.

<!–QuoteBegin>
so if N does as youi suggest its YOUR PC that is at fault not N

OK, to continue that line of reasoning, how come the same projects that choke n-Track on my PC play fine in Sonar (huge install file), Cubase LE, Samplitude 8 (huge install file) and a host of other programs I have tried? I complained for months and months that somewhere along the way, the audio engine in n-Track became broken. I have not been able to get smooth playback with n since V4 build 1856 I think it was. My complaints have gone unanswered, thus I moved on.

Again, I’m not looking for a pissing contest. I just can’t get any work done in n-Track anymore and it grieves me because I have loved it for so long.

D - still hopin’

Hi Doc. J:
I’m not sure if I see the download size as to make the size of the application either work-or-not on the computer’s specs…

There are many accessories that are loaded on n-Track that can be configured to run or not to run on n-Track when it’s launched… These are choices you make when you configure n-Track… I think that’s why the download file size is as large as it is… Also, n-Track has the Drummer that you download with the application… The included plug-ins occupy some of that file size… I’m not sure how much the file size is… and there is the installer… All of that stuff needs the “Installer Utility” to get that stuff on your Desk-and-System…

If you don’t need all of those plug-ins to run on each mixer strip when you open a mixer strip you have to open the con fig panel on the mixer and turn them off… The default is “ON”… There are other accessories that you need to configure… All of this stuff requires resources from your computer to run/idle… If you don’t need this stuff you can save your system a lot of operating stress if you take the time and turn off all the stuff you don’t use on a regular basis…

I know Doc.J. You use n-Track set-up for MIDI editing… I have very little experience around n-Track when it comes to MIDI editing… But I’m sure that a lot of MIDI features of n-Track can be turned off after MIDI Tracking is complete so more of your system’s resources can be applied to the mixing/production process…

Bill…

First, I understand your frustration. As others have said, you are not alone in trying to “upgrade” only to find that now Nothing works right! Arg!
As to not being able to get the computer to work as well as it did before: I have finally given up on trying to “fix” most problem like that. I will try a couple of things, and then if my brain is working, I will just reformat and reinstall the operating system. MS may claim that they can “repair” problems, but I have found that it usually takes much less time to reinstall than the “repair.” I seperated my data onto a different drive and created a “MasterDisk” with all my programs and serial numbers and load that from the Data drive - goes pretty fast compared to finding all those seperate disks a loading them one at a time.
Just wondering: I notice that you are running ME, probably the worst operating system that Microsoft has ever fostered on the public. Plus, I am not at all sure that the Microsoft. net Framework 2.0 and 1.1 work with ME. The net Framework is required to run versions of N-track since 4.0.
Good luck and better days,
Bax

I am new to n-Track. I have been trying to purchase the key for it for the past couple of days without success, but hopefully that will be worked out early next week.

I read about Reaper in this forum and investigated it. I downloaded the program and found that is crashes very easily on my Vista system. I went to their forum and found that the latest versions of Reaper have random crashing problems at least in Vista and XP. For the moment, I Fear the Reaper. N-Track seems to have its choke issues as well, but I found the current version of Reaper to be unusable even doing the simplest of analog recording and playback.

I’m still on XP not Vista… but unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) my experience is reversed. n-Track bombs while Reaper runs smooth as glass… who knows why??

D

Dr J
Sent you an e-mail.
I’ve got MS IE6 full install (Win98)
It’s about 22Megs -
Be glad to send it to you.

Well - out of no where this morning I had the same problem - ntrack will not load - I have no need to know what .net is but my computer froze at the start of ntrack and obviously my machine needs .net - have you figured out a solution yet? - I’m a picker who wants to play music - why is this so frustratingly hit and miss?

Hi Poppa Willis:

This might sound cheap-and-easy…
What would be wrong with doing a System Restore to your last date your machine worked correctly… ????

I’m the type that plays too much with my setup…
I know the adage…
BIG TIME…
If IT ain’t broke…
Don’t fix IT…
However, I never seem to head my words…
till it’s too late…

It’s a Layman’s idea…
Poppa…

Bill…

Yep - I thought about that first off - If you’ll recall I just went through a crash - new pooter - vista, something I wouldn’t even wish on (name your own jerk).

Then I’ll have to re-up on the tascam drivers on and on. The last full workstation I had was an AKAI 12 track on video tape 1/2 inch - I’m beginning to think hard about a solution outside the box - literally.

I was lucky today I rectum - I did an uninstall of nTrack v5 - downloaded and installed a ‘fresh’ one - chose default settings and it ran!!! amazing ain’t it… so what do I do first off ? - raise your hands… RIGHT - I save EVERYTHING in .edl so I have a way to use the R when the N takes a dump - my story is the same I’ve seen throughout this forum - a user since version 3 something and love nTrack enough to ache, actually mourn, over it’s performance - what is wrong with us?

Geeze - I just looked on my crashed drive and I downloaded Stomp’s MySoundStudio the same day I first tried nTrack - my license is dated 5/24/2002. Who knows where that software went down the tubes?

Signed - frustrated to bits

Hi Poppa Willis:

If that AKAI station is the one I think it is…
They were a treat to work with…
I have no idea when they first appeared on the market…
I used to do the maintenance work in a studio that used one of them…
There was some nice tracks that came outta that place…

Bill…

[EDIT]
As an after though I’m gonna add this…

For a while now… and as n-Track is in the “Launch Phase”… How-else do I say it ???? This is what happens here, on this P-111 I use… I’ll I’ll click on the Desk’s icon to Open n-Track… It takes maybe, 20 seconds for the machine to react… Then the "Black Welcome Screen of n-track appears on the desk… That takes about 20 seconds-or-so to load… Then the Last Project I have loaded begins to appear… That takes some 10 seconds to do It’s-Duty… and all… After all that I have an n-Track desk that I use as if nothing else needs to be loaded…

Could IT be that your machine needs a bit longer to load the n-Track Desk ????

Longer to load the desk? I don’t touch anything until all my tracks are up and the cute little circle of vista ain’t twirlin’ no mo.

I just had another ‘fatal’ crash this time I was on the net and the dmp was sent - maybe I’ll hear sumpin’ - I also looked in my ntrack folder and wondered why there is a reaper.dll file in there. There ain’t a real pissin’ contest goin’ on is there? Just curious.

Hi poppa, that dll has something to do with transfering something or another files to a Reaper project I think.

Then again I could be wrong.

Then again I could be old. And in the way, LOL

Yaz

Quote:

I also looked in my ntrack folder and wondered why there is a reaper.dll file in there. There ain't a real pissin' contest goin' on is there? Just curious.

I just checked my machine... there's no "reaper.dll" in either of my n-Track folders. There is one called "ripper.dll". Could that be what you seen?

D

Hi poppawillis:

AaHh…
VISTA…

I was referring to XP as the Operating System…

Could it be that you have an Antivirus application running or a Firewall or another application running that could be eating up your system’s resources?
It doesn’t take much to upset the fastest of machines…
You could have a plug in on one of your tracks that doesn’t operate correctly with VISTA as the operating system…

I just checked…
I don’t see a reaper.dll file in any of my C:/Program Files/FASoft/n-Track folders…
Check again…
It’s gotta be the ripper.dll file… you saw…

Bill…