recomended first mics

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum but thought this would be an ideal place to post my question:

What mics would you recomend to start your collection on a tight budget?

I will be recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitar. I am not worried about drums right now since I do have access to an akg drum mic kit and the bass will be directly into the board from the head. Currently the only mic in my house is a sennheiser 815S. I am considering a shure sm57 for electric guitar and percusion. What do you guys/gals think are must haves and the best bang for the buck?

Shure sm57 and shure sm58 if you are going to buy beginner mics. I don’t know what your mic is. What kind of mic it is will be the factor in which one you would want to get first…

fish

Shure SM58 dynamic mic and Samson C01 large condenser mic is a good collection start and affordable.

As your taste for sound characteristics matures and grows, youll know what too look for in other mic collections and their specific usages.

The Shure SM57/58 is no bad choice at all. I have a BeyerDynamic I’ve had for ages, and it has served me well. Nowadays, I mainly use a Røde NT-1A condenser (great all-round choice - worth making savings for) for vocals and certain instruments and an ADK C-1 (bought a pair of 'em - a bargain) for acoustic guitar.

Remember that if you go up one level and get a condenser mic, you need to have 48 V phantom power available…

regards, Nils

Remember that if you go up one level and get a condenser mic, you need to have 48 V phantom power available

That's not a problem but a good reminder for someone getting started. I have a behringer mx2642a which has phantom power. Which is running into a delta 44 (I just got my equipment so i'm a little excited) but now I need mics. Of course now my wallet is looking a little thin and I still have to pay tuition :( . Although if santa is nice to me though we may see a mic or two come down the chimney :laugh: .

Audio Technica has entered the inexpensive LD condenser market (under $100) with their model AT2020. Their more expensive LD condensers are excellent so the AT2020 might be worth a look.

I’d take a long look at these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…2

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…4

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…0

Also, This is a bargain:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…6

You can use the SD condensor on guitar amps and get great sounds. It doesn’t have to be an sm 57.

But someday you will want an sm57 or 58, too. :)

ev RE mics r good. or senny 421 n 441.
fer an acoustic yer need to donk up fer a condenser mic
mate. mebe an audio teknica. :D :D

Decent versatile dynamic would be up first:
Audio-technica ATM63HE would be my first choice, SM57 would do. On a tighter budget, the Behringer XM8500 is suprisingly good for the money. Other options would be a used Shure unidyne 545 in good condition. A used Beyer Soundstar MkII is also a lot of mic for not a lot of money.

Then add to that a decent condenser - Studio Projects B1 being the prime candidate.

For most applications and recording solo these 2 mics will do a pretty decent job on most things you can throw at them.

-Dan

i would go with a cheap large dia. condenser. sm57s are a great mic but for a beginner they are sometimes hard to dial in IMO. A large dia. mic will sound more like the source when recorded. although, they are more sensitive and dont care for kick drums and loud amps up close. i use 2 of these to record my overheads for drums and guitar amps. i recently started to use a third in a adjacent room to the drums. it picks up the distant kit sound and a nice deep kick thump. they really sound awesome. i reserve 57 for the snare drum.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7…8

Anyone recommend vocal mics in the under $50 (USD) category? SM57/58 are in the $100 area and I just can’t give up that much just for one instrument at the moment. Musiciansfriend is advertising those inexpensive Nady’s. Any thoughts on that brand?

This is all assuming the prices are in NEW condition, btw.

I recently purchased the MXL 990/991 package for $99 (MF or GC). Gives you both a large and small condensor for flexibility, and I’m quite impressed with the quality. In pretty much every way I prefer them to my AKG C1000 & AKG C3000 combo, at 1/5th the price…

I have used the MXL’s, do a nice job and would recommend to anyone. I would also stay away from the Nady. I own 2 Nadys and if yer recording crickets on a mono cassette deck for your daughters school play they work rather well, LOL

Here’s the MXL page at musicians friend, the 990 is on sale right now
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search?b=2555

Quote (technoid @ Dec. 16 2004,23:59)
Anyone recommend vocal mics in the under $50 (USD) category? SM57/58 are in the $100 area and I just can't give up that much just for one instrument at the moment. Musiciansfriend is advertising those inexpensive Nady's. Any thoughts on that brand?

Well, it depends on which nady you are looking at. The dynamics that look like sm58s are garbage, frankly. The Nady LD condensors (like the 900) are cheap but OK, but I too have the MXL 990 and it really does sound better. These cheap mics are subject to quality control problems, however, and I'm not sure to what extent you should generalize from my experience.

Do you have a music store nearby, like a guitar center?

???
Quote (technoid @ Dec. 17 2004,05:59)
Anyone recommend vocal mics in the under $50 (USD) category? SM57/58 are in the $100 area and I just can't give up that much just for one instrument at the moment. Musiciansfriend is advertising those inexpensive Nady's. Any thoughts on that brand?

New, that'll be the Behringer - $25 and can sound better than a 58 as long as you're careful how you use it (it's downsides are greater handling noise and too much proximity effect, so put it on a stand and give it a bit more distance and it's surprisingly good.)

Otherwise check out the used market for the mics I mentioned before - great deals to be had.

If you're quick, there's a Studio Projects B1 about to go on ebay - good allround first condenser to have.

-Dan

Yeah, I was looking at the cheap Nady’s, such as the following…

Nady SP1

Nady SP9

Nady SP5 3-Pack Special

Nady SP1 with Stand

The 3-pack and the mic w/stand were attractive to me, cuz I could get more stuff out of the price. What can I say, I’m a bargain hunter. I don’t have a mic stand. I don’t know their specs, so I was only going on price and that’s why I am asking here. There were others, but these were the cheaper of them.

Right now, I’m using some cheap-ass mic, from a Karaoke system I think… a Sony FV220. Man, don’t even rub your hands on it cuz you’ll hear that in the recordings too, since the mic chassis is not isolated, lmao.

I have another Karaoke mic that is probably much better, but I have to re-splice and solder the wires inside as they are broken… a Pioneer DM-C820 dynamic.

I will think hard about the MXL’s though, but only after I judge how the Pioneer one will sound. It’s been broken for years, so I don’t know its quality… but hopefully better than the Sony!

Daniel, which Behringer models are you referring to?

Also, can you guys explain how the MXL sounds better? Since Yaz said something about Nady’s and crickets, lol, then maybe he might care to elaborate the differences. I’ve never had experience with pro mics, so I have nothing to go on. Still learning… and getting there is fun.

This one:
<!–QuoteBegin>

On a tighter budget, the Behringer XM8500 is suprisingly good for the money.

:)

-Daniel

if youve been using a cheap sony karaoke mic you fall off your chair with the MXL.

its worlds different. for $60 you can not go wrong.

its a large diameter condensor mic. much more sensitive, and accurate. when you record a accoustic guitar or a drum set in a room, thats what it sounds like. nice and full.

also, it doesnt suffer as much from proximity effects as a dynamic mic will.