Recommedations for USB audio interface (24 bit) ?

I'm looking to buy an audio interface (upgrading from a 16 bit built-in soundcard), and was wondering what recommendations people might have. I only want a stereo/2-channel input, and probably a USB interface rather than a PCI card type (I have a desktop PC, 2.9GHz/single processor/512MB ram/USB2.0), but want something I could use with a laptop, if I buy one in the future).

My main concern is latency, so I'm wondering what the best interfaces are as far as this is concerned. I'm wondering if I'll have synch problems when recording a new instrument part whilst monitoring already recorded parts. Currently I don't notice any such delay or problems using my PC's built in soundcard in the same way. Are record/playback synch problems common with USB interfaces, or am I being overly concerned about latency? If these issues are a problem would ASIO drivers help, and if so can ASIO drivers (eg ASIO4ALL) be used with any or most USB interfaces? Also, can I use a USB interface as a complete replacement for a soundcard in general eg to play back music? In other words, will the USB interface show up in the list of audio devices available to any program?? Sorry about all the Q’s…!!

I've been looking around and M-Audio, Edirol and EMU ones seem to be popular, however it's hard to know how good or bad they are just reading the specs. I've heard that USB is not a good way to record audio anyway (PCI cards or FireWire being preferred choices) as USB is not the fastest data transfer method, though surely just recording a 2-channel input should be ok right?

On a similar note, I currently use a midi controller to play VSTi's (using my current soundcard + ASIO4ALL). With a USB interface as my main audio device, can I do the same? I actually want to be able to play and record VSTi's in n-Track though have never really got to grips with this in N-Track.

On a similar note, I currently use a midi controller to play VSTi's (using my current soundcard + ASIO4ALL). With a USB interface as my main audio device, can I do the same? I actually want to be able to play and record VSTi's in n-Track though so far I’ve never really got to grips with this in N-Track.

All help appreciated!

Thanks,
J.W.

I recommend you don’t get a USB interface, there is a reason they are so much cheaper than the firewire ones.

You get what you pay for, and for that cheap price all you’ll most likely get is a headache and loss of hair when your done pulling it all out. :)

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

That’s not entirely true Jerm… I have two USB interfaces, a first edition Tascam US-122 (USB1.1) and a Tascam US-122L (USB2.0) The original works fabulously at 24/44.1. The newer US-122L has been excellent as well and goes to 24/96 at low latencies.

USB AND FireWire are all about the host controller chipsets. Pick an interface that looks interesting to you and research the bejeebies out of it. What chipsets work well with it? What to avoid? You know… raid the support forums.

D

PS I got the new 122L because my old one is sort of on “permanent loan” if you know what I mean…

PPS As an example… I got a Presonus FireBOX for my son to use. His PC’s Firewire port would not work at ALL… drivers wouldn’t find the attached unit. Quick trip to Wally World for a 15 buck Belkin card and he was up and smokin’…

Oops…

I did do that though D, “raid the support forums” and found nothing but complaints from the low level USB interfaces.

The guy was wondering what I would suggest, so I suggest firewire if one can afford it.

I saw some pretty descent mixers with firewire outs on them in the $150 range, Alesis and Mackie.

You know some of those USB interfaces require an outside mixer to better control the sound going in, or preamp them (I know they have the software mixer in them but people in the forums say a hardware one is better)and people were complaining about low signal going into them so if one is going to upgrade why not get the mixer/firewire or mixer/USB?

keep shinin’

The only problem I see (for me) with the sub $200 USB/FW mixer deals are the lack of MIDI ports. The Tascam jobbies I have will also slide right into my laptop case. Very portable. Yes, they lack meters but they do have signal and clip indicators that work pretty well. Besides, if you are going in at 24 bits, there’s no need to push the levels.

D

Quote: (Diogenes @ Jan. 21 2008, 8:31 PM)

The only problem I see (for me) with the sub $200 USB/FW mixer deals are the lack of MIDI ports. The Tascam jobbies I have will also slide right into my laptop case. Very portable. Yes, they lack meters but they do have signal and clip indicators that work pretty well. Besides, if you are going in at 24 bits, there's no need to push the levels.

D

I know what you mean, if your doing midi it does seem like a whole different ball game.
It seems the more midi ins you want the more $$ they are asking, while some devices have both, usually only one midi is included.
And if you want more midi ins you are looking at a device strictly designated for midi.
I have not heard of too many latency issues with midi/USB/interfaces and was wondering if that is because it is not involving an analogue to digital conversion, since midi is already a digital language or file type so to speak.
A friend of mine is looking to set up his own home studio but is looking for more midi ins than the devices I suggested to him provided.
The only one he could find with more than one was $300 which was USB, and firewire$$$.... let's just say this, he is not a wealthy man lol...rich in spirit but low in denairo.

Hey D, I took your tip on that soundcraft! picking one up slightly used still under warranty (6.mo old) for $100, sweet!
All those channels I don't even know what I am going to do with them, I only have two arms and one mouth! tee hee but the possiblities! and the SOUND! hopefully is all that it could be and more.
The M-adio box I got only has two RCA inputs on it, so I'd have to pan left right to separate two different instruments/ tracks.
I was wondering though if I could use the midi input simultaneously with the RCA ins to say do a vocal and keyboard track and record them both at the same time?
Would I then have one stereo keyboard track and one stereo vocal?
How does that work?
When it comes to midi I am clueless and doing both even more so.

keep shinin

I unfortunately don’t have a Firewire port. Are they common with Windows-based desktops and laptops? I thought Firewire was mainly (and originally?) a Mac thing.

Maybe I could upgrade my machine to have one, and if I buy a laptop in the future then I could make sure it has one.

But in the meantime I think I still want to go for USB audio interface (and ideally not a PCI card).

a firewire card can cost $8.

keep shinin’

That cheap?! Interesting… and if I wanted to upgrade a laptop with Firewire, would it be done via a card-bus sort of thing? Or should all good laptops come with a Firewire port these days?

I use the Tascam US-122 also - have for years - never a problem - they even have Vista drivers for it!

Direct monitoring so you get 0 latency for overdubs - has midi I never use.Phantom power etc…

The US-122l is great too from what I hear at the Tascam forum.

The only firewire chipset you don’t hear complaints about is from TI (Texas Instruments). You would want to check your notebook to see if this shows up under the Devices / 1394 hardware selection. I have a $5,000 M1730 (high-end) notebook from Dell and it uses a Ricoh firewire chipset which most people report as problematic for audio recording.

I have a Emu 1616m PCMCIA audio interface which I really liked, but my new notebook only has the ExpressCard so I can’t use the 1616m anymore. I’m hoping they come out with an Express Card interface for it, but no news on their development plans…

So I bought an EMU 0404 USB and it is working just fine. The Vista drivers are beta (download from their web-site), but seem to work. By the way, disabling the Aero interface in Vista really helps eliminate the snap, crackle & pop.

I’ve also use the Tascam USB and it worked fine for me.

Shayne

Hi Tommy,

I take it you are connecting it to a USB port. Do you find you need to use ASIO with the Tascam interface or is it ok with any drivers? What sort of drivers are the ones that Tascam supply?

Cheers

J.W.

I’ve also been reading up a lot on USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and Firewire… and it’s all becoming a bit clearer to me…
:)

The US-122L/144 come with ASIO drivers. The older 122 has WDM and ASIO drivers. You will want to use ASIO in either case for the lowest latency.

I haven’t plugged either of my Tascam units into a PC that they would not work with… (knock wood!) So far, I have been very happy with them. The original 122 has been used with numerous desktops and laptops from all manner of manufacturers with no problems. What I’d recommend is whatever you decide on, make sure you can return it within a reasonable trial period. Musiciansfriend and American Musical Supply both have 45 day satisfaction guarantee policies. That’s usually what I do. Buy from one of those and check it out thoroughly for a week or two… then if I’m not happy, BACK it goes!

D

PS The Presonus FireBOX I mentioned above is a Firewire interface that has plenty of I/O for a one man band operation, sounds GREAT, has low latency drivers… BUT it would not work for love nor money with my Compaq laptop. It works great with my Dell lappy from work and also on my sons desktop PC. It’s worth considering but costs more than the Tascam USB units.

Mine is USB came with ASIO & WDM drivers - can’t say enough good about it. Been a TEAC/Tascam fan since my first 4 track in 72.

Quote: (J.W. @ Jan. 22 2008, 5:04 AM)

That cheap?! Interesting......... and if I wanted to upgrade a laptop with Firewire, would it be done via a card-bus sort of thing? Or should all good laptops come with a Firewire port these days?

This seller has a slew of them:

Ebay

now they are only 400's...

I know they have 800's now...but they are a bit more :whistle:
I wonder if there is a huge difference??
Or if the lower speed is that much of an issue...with these interfaces.

For me 400Mbytes per second was all I could do since I'm running on Windows 98SE , and I couldn't find an 800 that included windows 98Se in the system requirements.

Now I got another question for D or anyone who's in the know.

The M-audio firewire interface has a large V shaped plug slot on the back of it. I'm assuming this is called the 4 prong?
The Firewire card I got has two of these as well, however it also has a small plug on it (almost like a camera slot)
I did not get a cord with the Audiophile, but I did get one with the card.
It has one large end (that would fit into the V slots on interface and one small end (that looks like it will fit into the small hole on the firewire card.

Do I need a cord with two larger "v" ends on both ends of it to connect these two? or can I use the one with the large end on one and and plug the small end into the card?
Also asked before if Ntrack will record the midi in (like with a keybaord) while recording the analog RCA in simultaneously as well?

This is the device I am talking about:
M-Audio FireWire Audiophile Sound Card

keep shinin'

Jeremy your seller seems to have evaporated or something…

Yeah I don’t understand it I linked it several times to different cards and they all come up ghost.
Now I can’t edit it, see if this one works.
Ebay

keep shinin’

Quote:

Do I need a cord with two larger "v" ends on both ends of it to connect these two? or can I use the one with the large end on one and and plug the small end into the card?
Also asked before if Ntrack will record the midi in (like with a keybaord) while recording the analog RCA in simultaneously as well?

The firewire cabling has four wires for the actual data and two for buss powered devices. The small plug on your card has the four data wires. In the case of using that plug, you would have to power the M-Audio with it's wal-wart power supply. If your card has buss power available, you could transfer data AND power the M-Audio with one firewire connection.

Yes, you can record MIDI data and audio data simultaneously. How well that works in n-Track? Dunno... it works great in brand 'R'... :O

D