recording 16 simultaneous tracks

is anyone able to record 16 tracks at a time without having n-track stop by itself randomly?

I want to make sure this is only an Echo product problem, so maybe I can get them to fix drivers…

my setup will randomly stop the recording when I use more tracks and ASIO. the more the sooner, and the more buffers, the longer it’ll record…

I wish to use the LIVE mode so having too much latency can be a problem for me… WDM seem to work, but I prefer ASIO usually…

I no longer track with N-Track, but when I did, I was able to use my C-Port 10X10 IDE card to record and play back simultaniously ten tracks each in and out.

I recall Mike Erwin (Merwin) had two of those and was getting full function (20X20) from his rig.

No problems and that was three or so years ago.

About to go and give it a go on v3.3, but just a quick q - do you need to record 16 tracks in live mode, or can you do it regularly for the first 16 and go to live mode for overdubs?

I can use 10 tracks too without trouble (would probably crash by the time I reach 30-45 minutes or so though), but when I try more than that my recording time drops.

I need LIVE input enable for a few of the tracks. I like to track people with some reverb so they can get a better sense of the recording and therefore play better. I would use my reverb trick I mentioned in another thread, so as long as the latency isn’t too bad, i can just have it be a long pre-delay.

my concern is mostly that when I use ASIO, that I can’t record too many tracks at once… what if I want to step up into 24 tracks? how long will I be able to record then? 1 minute?

I just wish I knew why it did it. I guess I’ll use WDM for now, I’ll have to experiment with the latency issues on that though.

I have not had any problem with EMU 1820M and ASIO drivers… but I don’t use LIVE mode. That is one really nice feature of the EMU, you can use the cards on-board effects for monitor mixes and the like if the performer wants a little verb or something. It does not tie up your PC’s CPU at all. I can’t try with WDM drivers because EMU has not released multi-channel (>2) WDM drivers yet.

Anyway, EMU and n-Track work great together for me.

TG

yeah, I looked into those cards. I wouldn’t mind one but my echo layla is worthless since the new one came out and I have to get the headphone jack fixed. it’d be cool to do some compressor and eq in real time for a monitor mix, I could still use N for reverb too (since I know you can’t have too many effects on the chip)

anyone know if there’s a way to leave a track’s fader at its normal setting, mute it while still sending audio to an auxillary track, then when you want to play back, unmute the track and mute the auxillary return?

that way I can send multiple track to a reverb for monitoring, but when I’m only doing playback I can mute that auxillary channel and hear the normal recorded mix?

I’m thinking that the bypass option in the auxillary sends is supposed to turn off that auxillary send? but it’s not doing it?

I have both a Layla 20 and the Layla 24 (don’t know which you have.) I can record 16 tracks with the 24 by using the digtital and the analog jacks at the same time and WDM drivers. I could never get the Asio drivers to work properly.
Works fine with Ntrack. Using Live is going to cause some lag and if possable I’d try to avoid that.

like I said in another thread, I figured out I can use the LIVE feature for reverb and delay by setting the effects to 100% wet, then using the console for the direct monitoring. then the latency inherent in the plugin is turned into pre-delay and you don’t even notice it.

I just e-mailed Flavio asking him to make it possible to mute a track while sending to an aux channel (without adjusting the fader) as well as add a mute/bypass button to the aux RETURNS. the sends already have one, but mine isn’t working anyways…

this would allow me to set up a monitor only reverb and be able to switch from a record to a playback set up without having to adjust each track’s faders and the aux return faders each time I switch…

hopefully he’ll add it :)

yeah, WDM works fine, but ASIO doesn’t for some reason. I’ll just have to use WDM. I’m not entirely sure why I want ASIO anyways, I guess it’s because I hadn’t figured out how to use the latency to my advantage yet, so WDM will work fine (unless of course I want to do compressor and eq stuff, in which case wdm’s latency would be too severe…)

anyone know if there's a way to leave a track's fader at its normal setting, mute it while still sending audio to an auxillary track, then when you want to play back, unmute the track and mute the auxillary return?

What happens if you set the aux on that track for pre fader send and bring the volume down on that fader? I think muting it will stop it sending altogether.

exactly, it’ll mute everything with the mute button.

i don’t WANT to move the fader. moving the faders means that when I go from recording to playback, I have to RESET every fader I’ve since lowered. not only is this time intensive, but if I make a small mix, it’ll throw it all off again.

I want to set up a mix of the faders, and be able to mute them while still allowing signal to pass through to the aux channels.

Quote (guitars69 @ April 18 2005,17:48)
I just e-mailed Flavio asking him to make it possible to mute a track while sending to an aux channel (without adjusting the fader) as well as add a mute/bypass button to the aux RETURNS. the sends already have one, but mine isn't working anyways...

[QUOTE]
A bypass button for the aux returns would be really useful! As for the other suggestion: In v3, if my memory does not fail me, it was possible to direct the output of a track to a muted group, and still get sound from the aux sends of the track in pre-fader mode.
In the current version (I'm using build 1811) that muted group must be silenced with the fader, as actually muting it also seems to mute the track directed to it. Still, it's a good trick.

Bye now.

that’s not a bad idea though… I can much more easily raise a fader than 16 of them :)

just in from Flavio :)

I assume that the “bypass” option in the auxillary sends option button is meant to mute the auxillary send? If this is so it is not working, the auxillary sends still send a signal to the auxillary channel.
Might I suggest you add a bypass option in the auxillary RETURN as well? that way one could easily mute the whole auxillary channel rather than having to bypass each track that is sending information there…
that would be great :)

"I’ve added the aux return bypass function in build 1828. The aux send bypass should also work now. It actually worked before but to hear the change the playback had to be stopped and restarted."

Also, is there any way to have a track send it’s audio to an auxillary channel while muting the output of the track (without adjusting the fader) since muting the track ALSO mutes the output to the auxillary channel.

"I’ll try to think of a way to implement this."

BTW the group idea actually works great, I can simply drag one slider down to mute the output and keep the aux going, then when I want to switch, I control click on the slider and it’s back to 0 db. I can then kill the aux send by bypassing it in the group, or using the return bypass.

SWEET!!! :)