Recording a fiddle

Fingers crossed, later this week, my new music pal should make it over to have push for a couple of FAWM efforts. She hopes to be bringing a fiddler along. Any advice on getting a good take?

I have had good luck using two mics - one small capsule above the fiddle to get the “attach” of the bow. Then find a spot out in front by a few feet for a large capsule - fiddle sound better when there is some air in the sound, but you have to decide where that distance/location is in you recording environment.
Mix to taste
I Love fiddles when they are played right - really bring a song to life.
good luck,
Bax

Don’t you find it difficult to play with a mic ‘attached’ to the bow? :laugh:

UJ

Thanks Bax.

This is a single LDC about 12" out. I just kind of move my head around to find the sweet spot of the instrument and stick the mic there. However, I might go with 2 mics in a less dense mix per Bax. With everything going on in this, the fiddle really just needed a spot to live in and that’s it so a single mic was plenty.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u…End.mp3

Whoa! Cheers Bubba - that’s a crackin’ tone.
I can here the distance thing you guys are on about - yup.
I’ve only got a 57, an sE2000 and a PZM - what d’you reckon?

If you had a pair of 57s, that would be just about as right as you could make things…

One over-the-shoulder, at-or-around the ear and the other out front…
???
:p

Worth thinking about…

Shift one-or-the-other tracks by a few samples, to taste, at mix/edit time…
Bring the two tracks out to a “Group” in a mix and then add a short/bright Room Verb on the Group Strip… EQ. to fit the rest of the tracks…

Just something to try…
???

Bill…

edit Maybe, you’ve already got it done…

Cheers, Bill.

Quote: (woxnerw @ Feb. 22 2011, 5:37 AM)

One over-the-shoulder, at-or-around the ear and the other out front..
???

Worth thinking about..

Maybe for an acoustic guitar? But right by the player's ear? No way. You are going to have nothing but lower bout woof or body rattle and a pissed off player who can't move.... unless you are meaning out a foot straight up.
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Feb. 22 2011, 8:07 PM)

Quote: (woxnerw @ Feb. 22 2011, 5:37 AM)

One over-the-shoulder, at-or-around the ear and the other out front..
???

Worth thinking about..

Maybe for an acoustic guitar? But right by the player's ear?
No way. You are going to have nothing but lower bout woof or body rattle and a pissed off player who can't move.... unless you are meaning out a foot straight up.

Oh horse nuggets... I'm gonna duct tape a Rode NT-1 to the bow...

:laugh:

UJ

I attempted to edit the earlier post but I was too late…

You’re right…
The mic should be over-the-left shoulder and pointed toward the F hole but above the left ear…
A mix of the two tracks to level the high-and-low registry of the fiddle…

If the fiddle player don’t stand in the same/correct place, you tell to, or you get one that can… That’s what Harland Howard would have said…

Some guys like to hear their reference through one ear…
It keeps them in pitch…
BUT you have to turn the loose ear cup off… Other-wise you get a “Leak” of the open ear-cup in your tracks…

It doesn’t work for all players and material that is tracked… It can be a good starting place…

Two-and-three fiddle players on one track, is a different story…
Anyway, whatever works…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Feb. 23 2011, 6:12 AM)

You're right..
The mic should be over-the-left shoulder and pointed toward the F hole but above the left ear..
A mix of the two tracks to level the high-and-low registry of the fiddle..

Ok, yeah, that makes sense.