Recording a piano?

a grand, no less.
Hi all.
I’ve been asked to record one and I can’t wait:-) Six pieces that I’m not familiar with by title but knowing the pianist, they’re going to be BIG and dynamic. Never done it before, so, any words of wisdom would be welcome.
The studio is going to have to travel to IT so in the process of finding the best lappy of everyone connected.
Cheers.

Mic’ing Pianos

Thanks, Bill. A good read.

I’ve recorded pianos in a few different settings, and the one thing I learned is that the room is astonishingly important.

Quote: (TomS @ May 01 2012, 3:29 PM)

I've recorded pianos in a few different settings, and the one thing I learned is that the room is astonishingly important.

I'm believing that, Tom. The only info I have, so far, is that it's in a room, in a University - I'm worried. We're not gonna get forever and a day to grab this. Don't think I can pull this off with an sm57 and a sE2000.
Quote: (TonyR @ May 01 2012, 4:50 PM)

Quote: (TomS @ May 01 2012, 3:29 PM)

I've recorded pianos in a few different settings, and the one thing I learned is that the room is astonishingly important.

I'm believing that, Tom. The only info I have, so far, is that it's in a room, in a University - I'm worried. We're not gonna get forever and a day to grab this. Don't think I can pull this off with an sm57 and a sE2000.

I'm assuming the Dean took advice and gave it a Nice room;-)

Our college’s best recording space is an awesome room, with great acoustics, a beautiful piano, and a heating and cooling system based, as far as I can tell, on a jet engine coupled directly to the stage floor.

Quote: (TomS @ May 02 2012, 2:13 PM)

Our college's best recording space is an awesome room, with great acoustics, a beautiful piano, and a heating and cooling system based, as far as I can tell, on a jet engine coupled directly to the stage floor.

:-))))

Tony, my experience of mic'ing a piano is only for live work. Then it always seem to be a trade off between getting the mic close to the strings to avoid spill (and feedback) but then getting not getting a full "image" of the entire range of strings.

For recording I would imagine a good place to start would be to think of the piano as a large stereo instrument (which, of course, it is). But the room is going to be a big factor.

Thanks, Mark. I’ll report back when I have more info on the room.

Hi Tony:

For anyone who doesn’t have a piano, this is a chance in a lifetime …
After you’ve done the session and then listen to your tracks I’ll bet you’ll have a page full of ideas that would have been nice to try…
Will you be using multi-track audio hardware?
It wouls be nice to open up four mics…
Two pointed at the sound board and two listening at the room…

What a great oppertunity to gain expirence…
:agree:

I hope you come back to reply with your findings…

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ May 02 2012, 10:50 AM)

Hi Tony:

For anyone who doesn't have a piano, this is a chance in a lifetime ..
After you've done the session and then listen to your tracks I'll bet you'll have a page full of ideas that would have been nice to try..
It wouls be nice to open up four mics..
Two pointed at the sound board and two listening at the room..

What a great oppertunity to gain expirence..

I hope you come back to reply with your findings..

Bill..

Thanks, Bill.
I have a piano, an upright, but can't play:-)

This is an opportunity to record someone who can play, on a good one. Fingers crossed for the room.
Yes Bill. I'm hoping to stick n-T on the best lappy we can put our hands on. That's a great idea of catching more than one track. Would you think there'd be any point in taking a PZM for the room?
Quote: (TonyR @ May 02 2012, 4:25 PM)

Quote: (woxnerw @ May 02 2012, 10:50 AM)

Hi Tony:

For anyone who doesn't have a piano, this is a chance in a lifetime ..
After you've done the session and then listen to your tracks I'll bet you'll have a page full of ideas that would have been nice to try..
It wouls be nice to open up four mics..
Two pointed at the sound board and two listening at the room..

What a great oppertunity to gain expirence..

I hope you come back to reply with your findings..

Bill..

Thanks, Bill.
I have a piano, an upright, but can't play:-)

This is an opportunity to record someone who can play, on a good one. Fingers crossed for the room.
Yes Bill. I'm hoping to stick n-T on the best lappy we can put our hands on. That's a great idea of catching more than one track. Would you think there'd be any point in taking a PZM for the room?

Hi Again, Tony:

I would use a PMZ Boundry mic if I had to capture a Piano..
However, I have no expirence tracking with them..

That sure was a nice read that Bill Clarke posted a link to..
Thanks Bill..

If ever there was a instrument I'd like to be able to play..
It would be a Piano..

I notice on the local Buy/Sell pages on the Internet, around here, there's lots of Pianos posted just for the taking..
It would be nice to come across an Upright Grand..
I know they're out there..
One that doesn't need a lot of work to restore it..

Bill..