recording drums

on laptop

I’ve recently aquired an old dell inspiron laptop and wiped it clean. My project is to record my drummer’s roland electronic kit with a “y” jack from the back of his td-20 brain into the stereo 1/8 inch mini plug to the hard drive in stereo at his house, then try to transfer the stereo file from the laptop to my desktop at my house. I’m still using version 3.0 (which works for me).
I was thinking of recording the drums with a wave editor ( as the laptop is a bit slow). Any ideas on the best way how to get this stereo wav file into n-track?
Thanks,
guitarist

Menu: File / Import wave file

Or, drag and drop the wave on the timeline. This will import it where you drop it.

Yup… what phoo said. Try recording into Audacity. It’s FREE and easy on resources. Then import 'em via phoo’s suggestions. :)

TG

EDIT** Here is Audacity

Also, test your input. Mine was mono and really noisy. They cram too much stuff into that little box and I sure didn’t get very good results using the 1/8" in’s.

Why don’t you just record the midi straight from the Roland box? You’ll need a midi to usb or serial adaptor, but nT will then record the midi direct, and after, you’ll have an easier time editing, and options for dropping in samples of the drum sounds you want.
Just a thought :;):
Pa

a good one, though, pasher!

With MIDI, you’ll have the flexibility of changing the score and the instruments, using a wide variety of free & cheap softsynths, etc.

If you just record wave, I’d record using n-Track. No reason why it shouldn’t do just as well as a wave editor. Your laptop is at least 350 or 400 MHz, right?

I was able to record 10 channels glitch-free with a 650 MHz laptop running W2K. Ah, for the good ol’ days, before my employer messed up the W2K image they load on the computer they give me to work with (so I guess I can’t really blame them, can I?)

Cheers
Jeff

Thanks for your repsonses, but say I use the Audacity route on the laptop…how do I get the wav file from the laptop into my Desk Top PC that has n-track?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Thanks for your repsonses, but say I use the Audacity route on the laptop…how do I get the wav file from the laptop into my Desk Top PC that has n-track?

Prolly the easiest way is to transfer it via one of these USB Memory Sticks. They’re pretty cheap these days. I use one all the time for such things.
Pa

Make sure your laptop has a stereo line input, not just a mono mike input. I bet you already have that covered, though.

Seems that Audacity has no VU Meters…how would I know where to set the input level?
Anyone know of another editor with meters?
Thanks!

Quote (guitarist321 @ Aug. 17 2005,22:47)
Seems that Audacity has no VU Meters…how would I know where to set the input level?
Anyone know of another editor with meters?
Thanks!

They added level meters in the last year or so… check your version.

Can you send me the link to the newest version? I just downloaed 1.2 and no vu’s
thanks.

Quote (guitarist321 @ Aug. 18 2005,15:05)
Can you send me the link to the newest version? I just downloaed 1.2 and no vu’s
thanks.

audacity.sourceforge.net/download

I loaded it, and it does have VU meters now… it is at version 1.2.3

If you look at this screenshot, they are in the top right…

Hope this helps.

Thanks Grumpy,
I went back to the site and downloaded 1.2.3 and there she be…
Thanks